KTM 300 Database

rholbrook

A few weeks ago the bolt holding my kick starter on broke. I ordered a new bolt from RMATV the night it happened but I wasn't looking forward to removing so I put it off and then put it off some more. I even raced Firebirds without the Kickstarter because I have the magic button my 300 has.

The he rain today meant I had a little time today so I went looking for my bolt extractors and couldn't find them or remember who I loaned them to so I went to Home Depot and bought this
image.jpeg

These have a drill on one side and the extractor on the other. It was a piece of cake and took less than 10 min to do it. Most of that time was spent trying to get the hole as close to centered as I could because I used a drill bit instead of the one attached to the extractor. I should have just used that bit.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    663.1 KB · Views: 8

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I put in about 25 miles on the new bike yesterday. New bikes are so sweet. Motor is super snappy. Suspension felt really good as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
My bike is still at D&K Motorcycle getting the pipe fixed, I dropped it off Tuesday last week.
It wasn't quite right last time and strained the bolts holding the pipe enough that they keep falling out even with loctite.
So much so that I had to zip tie the coupler from the pipe to the silencer to the frame.

I'm convinced that's what made my bike hard to start at the line at Firebirds is lack of back pressure.
I'm going to keep pestering Donnie tomorrow so I can get some practice time in before Sugarloafers.
I brought him my stock slightly bent pipe and my FMF both so he can get them both perfect with the bike in front of him.
He has been great to work with and I HIGHLY recommend him for any work (but he doesn't do suspension).

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Rode the new bike at the sugarloafers race yesterday. The suspension on this thing is so sweet. Small chatter is non existent and it didn't blow through the stroke either. I love this bike. I'm so happy I didn't think rationally and fix my old bike.

Tonkaman

That's the one I've always liked. I usually still a 1/4" hole in my rear number plate and feed the flag through it. That keeps the flag out of my rear tire

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Went riding with Stratton Wed and he pointed out a clunking noise when holding the front brake and compressing the forks. I still had a couple days left on my 30 day warranty so I ran it back up to Edge. Service guy said there had been at least one other bike he'd seen with components loose in the fork.

Just got a call this morning informing me that it was my brake pads shifting in the caliper. If you put the front tire against a wall and compress the fork there is no clunk.

Now I just need someone to go pick my bike up so I don't have to face the service guy as the dude who couldn't figure out the brake pads move in the caliper.

Edit: Well, I would highly advise anyone to not take anything to The Edge. Went to pick up the bike, they tried to charge me for an hour of labor for looking at the bike that is under warranty. Then we went out to load it, they had broken the front fender, dented the pipe, bent the right foot peg and thrashed the rear tire. All while troubleshooting a clunk sound in the fork that they claimed was the brake pads, which is now gone oddly enough.

Last edited:

Tonkaman

How the hell could they have caused so much damage? Was it wrecked? Those guys suck! I've not ever heard anything but bad stories about them

Caleb

That sucks. FWIW, I had good luck with them, but I just had them flash the Euro map to my 501 before I even brought it home and I had them do the same on my 500.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Agreed Stratton. I shared my frustration on FB and apparently (maybe with Paul's help) got the attention of the owner. He seems like a nice guy and means well but my experience with his shop has been very subpar. It's odd how different people's experience with a given bussines can be. I must keep getting the worst employee.
They are replacing all damaged parts but it will take me a while to give them another shot.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
A business is only as good as good as its worst employee. Sounds like somebody dropped it on a joy ride.

^^^^^^This

Agreed Stratton. I shared my frustration on FB and apparently (maybe with Paul's help) got the attention of the owner. He seems like a nice guy and means well but my experience with his shop has been very subpar. It's odd how different people's experience with a given bussines can be. I must keep getting the worst employee.
They are replacing all damaged parts but it will take me a while to give them another shot.

As a business owner I have dealt with employees that do not fall in line with how I expect my company to be represented. I know Bryan pretty well and his major fault is that he lets things "float" a little. He does not really get involved in the service and parts on a daily basis and things happen that he would not allow himself. If his people would have told you what happened and not tried to let it slide, the outcome would be totally different.

With that said, there are only 2 people I directly deal with at The Edge. Bryan if I am buying a bike an BZ if I need parts.

I am glad he reached out to you to make sure everything is taken care of.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I just did the third oil change on my 2016 and the drain plug was really difficult to get out. Once I got it out I noticed that all the threads had the peak pulled towards the valley of the next thread. I have never stripped an oil plug in hundreds of oil changes. This plug looks to be make of something supper soft. Good idea in that it won't bugger the case threads but really? When I put oil plugs in, I put the head of the ratchet in the center of my palm to limit torque so I don't over tighten them. I doubt it had 10ft lbs put on it and it has only been tightened twice on this bike. I'm starting to think this bike is cursed.