KTM 300 Database

BlueWolfFab

Running Behind
My brother picked up a '17 300 XC. His '15 XC-W (in the background) is for sale.

97D2B8AB-B265-4FB5-9142-BE4843B45843_zps2ff0makd.jpg

D

Deleted member 12904

So my 300 engine eat shit today. Thinking I'm gonna need to do a full rebuild. Any suggestions on what parts and where to get them?

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
So my 300 engine eat shit today. Thinking I'm gonna need to do a full rebuild. Any suggestions on what parts and where to get them?

If you have to rebuild a crank have Andrew Cooksey do it. He does all my mini cranks and he did the one for Tysons bike I rebuilt. It turned out at .00001 true. That bike was butter smooth. Everything else you can get from RMATV.

D

Deleted member 12904

Did you tear into it yet? Any idea what roasted it?

I didn't, I said Eff it and went paddle boarding. As I was putting along when I heard what sounded like maybe gravel hitting my fender and as I slowed down it got louder until I stopped and so did the engine. So I would guess a rod knock. Oh well I got 70 hours on it so far this year so at least I've been able to enjoy it some.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
The cost to rebuild is not to bad. Around $200 to rebuild the crank and gasket kit too end is about another$350. You can buy a hot rods crank for a little less than having it rebuilt but IMO the rebuilt is worth it for the improved balancing and vibration reduction.

D

Deleted member 12904

The cost to rebuild is not to bad. Around $200 to rebuild the crank and gasket kit too end is about another$350. You can buy a hot rods crank for a little less than having it rebuilt but IMO the rebuilt is worth it for the improved balancing and vibration reduction.

Thanks I was jut reading on http://www.cookseycrank.com/ he definitely seem like the way to go.

Do you use OEM gaskets? Of are some of the kits RM MC sells ok?

Cascadia

Undecided
I would definitely get the crank rebuilt and balanced like mine was. My '16 was brand new and had like 3 hours on it. I was so tempted to put the rebuilt motor in my brand new bike it wasso smooth. Shoulda sold the 16 and kept the 13.

D

Deleted member 12904

I used a tusk kit on Tyson's bike if I remember correctly.
Not any chance you could pull the RM atv invoice of all the parts you used is there? I think I should take the approach if its good enough for Paul its way to good for me but Ill use it anyway.

On a side note Tonkaman Text me with a super valid point. Really no reason not to go big bore stroker at this point lol

rholbrook

Not any chance you could pull the RM atv invoice of all the parts you used is there? I think I should take the approach if its good enough for Paul its way to good for me but Ill use it anyway.

On a side note Tonkaman Text me with a super valid point. Really no reason not to go big bore stroker at this point lol

I have ridden the KTM 360 and it is scary fast. Do it. Derek can help you work on it all the time too.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
168 assuming the hour meter is accurate like the previous owner said

Would not expect a 300 to lose a crank at that many hours but there are a lot of factors that can play into that. Good news is that it can be rebuilt and be like a New bike that will last you a long time.