KTM 300 Database

rholbrook

There is a cupped side to the spacer. Duo you possibly have it in backwards?
I did know there was a cupped side for the seal to ride in. Did I put it in backwards? There is always that possibiltiy, I thought I put it in cupped site in but now you are making me second quess myself. I will check.

rholbrook

Anyone ever use a starter from Rick's Motorsports? My starter has gone bad and I want a new styled one with 410 Watts, my current starer is 350 watts. In 2013 they bumped up the wattage to 410. Rick's sells all the rebuild kits for about every motorcycle model out there plus sells new starters.

ricsrx

Thanks, i will lube up the wrist pin and bearing and leave the rings dry, i am getting it together tonight so I can be ready for the holiday weekend in Price!

rholbrook

I just purchased a new starter from Rick's from here. My 300 fired so fast I couldn't believe it. Before it went bad, I could not start it with the starter if it was cold but it would start first kick.

After the installation, I thought I would give the starter a quick try and without the choke on and having not been run since Monday, the 300 started in less than one revolution of the motor. The choke was even off.

My 300 came with a 350 watt starter, the new one is 410 watts which is what they started putting on them I think in 2013 or 2014. Now we will see how long it holds up because KTM starters are notorious for not lasting.

rholbrook

PIPES....What is everyone running? I know I want an 18 ga pipe for strength.

What is the difference between the shorty and normal length silencers?

Has anyone run the DEP pipe? The Slavens boys love them.

How much of a difference is there between the Gnarly and the ProCircuit? Does the Gnarly sign off too fast? The Fatty is out because it is 19 ga.

Also, what about pipe guards? Are the carbon fiber worth the money over the aluminum ones you can put on?

Last edited:

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
How much of a difference is there between the Gnarly and the ProCircuit? Does the Gnarly sign off too fast?

I would love to get to a point where I am able to notice a slight difference in pipes or other adjustments. I ride a bike, and go 'that rode nice' change it up completely and I still go 'that was nice'.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
PIPES....What is everyone running? I know I want an 18 ga pipe for strength.

What is the difference between the shorty and normal length silencers?

Has anyone run the DEP pipe? The Slavens boys love them.

How much of a difference is there between the Gnarly and the ProCircuit? Does the Gnarly sign off too fast? The Fatty is out because it is 19 ga.

Also, what about pipe guards? Are the carbon fiber worth the money over the aluminum ones you can put on?

I have only run the Gnarly, so I cannot compare it against anything. Let me pose this question.......are you more concerned with having a stronger bottom to mid or are you wanting a longer pulling mid to top? If you are 90% trail, you are not going to miss any loss of top end by going to a pipe like the Gnarly. Even in the fast sections of desert races or even when I ran my 300 on the MX track, I never once missed the little bit of top end you may lose with the Gnarly. As far as pipe guard goes, I personally will never run anything but a carbon fiber. While an aluminum guard will help against small dents from rocks hitting the pipe, it does not give nearly as good of protection against larger impacts that a carbon fiber would. I ran a carbon fiber for a little over a year before I had to replace it and had some pretty good impacts to the guard and the pipe underneath, while not in perfect condition, was in much better shape than if I had been running an aluminum guard. Under normal trail use, I would not expect that you would ever have to replace the pipe guard, but the abuse of racing is a different story. I have run a couple different brands of carbon fiber guards and the P3 is by far the best quality.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Great info Paul. I've been really nervous about my pipe. I need to pick up a guard.
I run a gnarly and have never felt like it needed more top end. If anything I short shift to keep the motor in the smooth part of the power.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
My drivetrain was shot after the Firebirds race and with the canyon single track open I figured I better replace it.

I went up one tooth on the rear to a 51 and inadvertently ordered 13 tooth front. It's a crawler for sure. I'm going to test it out on some tight stuff tomorrow. I'll report back.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I've ridden this setup quite a bit now. I'm not sure I like it. It will crawl over anything but it has do much snap it's hard to ride at times. I am going to throw the 14 tooth back on and see if that soothes it out.

Side note, your bike will seep oil if you put the counter sprocket on backwards.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Cascadia

Undecided
My bike I just bought came with a 12 tooth and 53 on the rear. I couldn't hit 35 mph in 6th gear. It was terrible. I don't know what the guy was thinking. It is now a 13 and 50. I still hate it but it's all I had laying around. I will go back to a 14/52 which is what I loved on my other bike.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
My bike I just bought came with a 12 tooth and 53 on the rear. I couldn't hit 35 mph in 6th gear. It was terrible. I don't know what the guy was thinking. It is now a 13 and 50. I still hate it but it's all I had laying around. I will go back to a 14/52 which is what I loved on my other bike.
What did you get?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk