Let's talk Escalante...

corbin.black

My family and I just got back from escalante this weekend and it was awesome. We hiked to calf creek falls (lower) and played in the water for hours, beautiful waterfall! Cold, but fun! We also took the Hell's backbone road from boulder to escalante and it had some amazing views. The bridge on that road is amazing and impressive. We camped near upper falls for free, but I think it would have been better if we would have camped up the mountain more to avoid the breeze.

sixstringsteve

How about exploring the Bryce Canyon Area? And Capitol Reef? Any cool backcountry roads that connect those? Any favorites in those areas?

1\4elliptic toy

shenanigans!
Burr trail, cathedral valley, Notum road and the muley twists in capital reef. Not much in bryce as far as backcountry roads, skumpatah (sp? ) road runs on the south side of bryce from hwy 89 to kodachrome basin and is pretty cool. Bull valley gorge and willis creek slots are both along there as well as some nice camp sites just up the hill from willis creek.

sixstringsteve

So, for the first day of the trip I plan on taking skyline drive down towards escalante. I'm trying to decide if I want to camp at boulder mtn or hell's backbone or somewhere else in that area. Any recommendations?

PolarXJ

HO-P
I didn't notice if it was mentioned, but Boulder also has a gas station. Its a small one, but beats driving all the way to Escalante if you are staying in the area.

sixstringsteve

great, thanks. I'm afraid skyline drive won't be dry by the beginning of July, so I may have to make plans for a lower elevation route.

Hardcastle

what about my friend who has a stock tacoma? Zero rock crawling experience. How would he do up there?

Is this the same as Donkey Reservoir? South of Torrey, UT? If so the first half is basically gravel and after that it's a slow rough road but a stock 4x4 will make it just fine.

I heard rumors this road as well as others in the area had been graded or "improved" but I can't confirm that for sure as I haven't been back.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Is this a route that my stock purdy Tundra can get through without getting beat?

im lookin to get out and do some back country exploration and camping without gouging my panels or dragging the underbelly.

Last edited:

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
How about favorite lakes or rivers to fish in the area? I'm looking for trout.

On our last trip we fished these lakes and did well for trout:
Donkey brooks
Lower Bowns rainbows
Blind splake, rainbows, brook
Beaver Dam brooks, splakes, cutts
Fish Creek brooks and tigers
We fished other lakes too but I don't remember the names without looking at a map. There are size restrictions on the Boulder lakes if you plan on keeping a limit so make sure you read the rules. You can catch some really good sized fish so have fun.

sixstringsteve

Is there a place I can find the rules online?

Regarding size restrictions, do they prohibit you from keeping the big ones or the small ones?