maddies drive way 1 ton rover build

Venture13

Gotta love felt brackets for mock up.. Seriously, RCV outers. I would spend that extra coin on some other key components. Are those drilled or punched holes on the tabs?

This is the progress i have made while james is gone not much but its kinda difficult to hold and tack by your self.
landrover1-1.jpg
landrover2.jpg

Attachments

• landrover1.jpg
    landrover1.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 18

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Gotta love felt brackets for mock up.. Seriously, RCV outers. I would spend that extra coin on some other key components. Are those drilled or punched holes on the tabs?

Sorry, missed this question....the holes are plasma cut, then cleaned up a tiny bit with a drill.

Looking good Maddie! The more Rover you remove, the more badass it becomes. :greg:

zukijames

Carl once you get rid of everything but the Buick motor there not bad !

I kinda like the look of the disco fenders hopefully it looks even better once she narrows the front a little
Sorry, missed this question....the holes are plasma cut, then cleaned up a tiny bit with a drill.

Looking good Maddie! The more Rover you remove, the more badass it becomes. :greg:

sixstringsteve

I like where this is headed. I would leave out the two black bars to the right of the M.

Triangulation is a good way to disperse the load, but if there isn't going to be a load on a certain part, there's no reason to triangulate it there.

Here's how I'd do it:
Maddie%2527s%2520cage.jpg

Last edited:

STAG

On my grind
And just my worthless .02, I'd prefer an X in my rig vs an M right there, it just seems to me it'd be stronger. But that is solely my opinion and nothing else :D

Thanks for looking and the input. I will take any i can get! I am planing on running a panel over those that way so i am not really worried about the looks under it. i am more worried about dispersing the load of the A pillar as many places as possible. that way when i tip over on my roof off suicide hill i wont have to worry so much about dying. LOL.:cool:

And just my worthless .02, I'd prefer an X in my rig vs an M right there, it just seems to me it'd be stronger. But that is solely my opinion and nothing else :D

I Considered an X and i agree they are the strongest but i needed to tie into the down bars coming from my roof. I plan on rolling a few times so i want to disperse the load the best that i can.

sixstringsteve

Try to think of the impact each piece of the cage will see in a roll, and try to imagine where that impact will distribute its force. Hopefully this makes sense:

Slide4.JPG

Slide5.JPG

Slide6.JPG

Slide7.JPG

Slide8.JPG

Slide9.JPG

(in other words, the triangulation did nothing.)

Slide10.JPG

Slide11.JPG

The triangulation prevented the cage from bending.

Slide12.JPG

Slide13.JPG

Slide14.JPG

Slide15.JPG

the triangulation did nothing, because we didn't design it to take an impact from the side.

Slide16.JPG

Slide17.JPG

Slide18.JPG

Last edited:
landrover1-3.jpg

Okay I redrew it. It took the bar steve said out and extend the M to the corner so i still have the support in the corners i am worried about yet can still tie in to the bars coming down from my roof. thanks for the input guys!!!

sixstringsteve

FWIW, I don't think you need the second downbar by the seat back. Your B pillar is plenty strong as is. you shouldn't need to reinforce it.

sixstringsteve

Here are a few pics I did of Jame's rig v. 2.0 before he chopped it up. Not trying to pick on him, I'm just trying to use an example you're familiar with. It shows the forces at play in a roll:

good: (it disperses the load across two bars).
James%2520Cage%25203.jpg

bad:
James%2520Cage%25204.jpg

bad:
James%2520Cage%25205.jpg

better:
James%2520Cage%25206.jpg