maddies drive way 1 ton rover build

Ya it probably over kill but i guess if it make james sleep at night knowing i wont die its worth the extra 3 pounds. I really want to climb suicide hill and prichett is one of my favorite trails and james wont let me try them if i don't over kill it!!

sixstringsteve

I like the way you and James think! You need to be around to wipe the drool off his chin when he turns 90 :D

Just remember, more tube does not always equal more strength.

Slide15.JPG

more tube in the right place = more strength

I'm no expert, I'm just trying to keep you safe. Oh, and if you use pink tube, it's 10% stronger :D

Here's a great article I found on roll cage design:
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/rollcage.htm

plus we have one that's a sticky here on RME.

Last edited:

STAG

On my grind
While your physics may be true Steve, I do have to point out that you never pushed on the corner of an X, like you did in the picture labeled "cross bracing in the right place", just in the side of the X.

Or that you pushed on the corner of the very bottom of your series of pink squares (the one that looks like a sideways Y)

Or in the corner of the pink square with the sideways "V" labeled "strategic" places...

Just had to throw that out there, that with every design, you will be able to push somewhere and make a bend as you described :D haha

I tried to find a picture on Pirate that I had seen of a yellow TJ that rolled on its side, and he didnt have enough sideways triangulation just as an example but A: I figured it wasnt necessary and B: I am only on my phone and it was taking too long ha.

zukijames

i am mostly worried about impact from the top .. i have told her no suicide hill.. but i know she's going to try it. and i know she can climb it.. but its a nasty hill and there isn't much difference in the perfect line and the your upside down line.. so the way she has it designed i think will work great at spreading the load from the roof.. the ^ in the windshided and all the triangulation behind her head should do the side to side just fine ..

the triangulation above her head (not there yet) should also help alot with the side to side impact.

right in the door area isnt too strong but the lower part/slider is 2 1/4 inch .480 wall so i no its not going anywhere haha ( 33 feet for 119 bucks:cool: )

the roof will probably be pretty think .. i think mine is 1/8 maybe only 16th i cant remember

i just really don't want her to get hurt

there has been alot of bad crashes lately.. wayland campell and matt from trail gear come to mind.. and scare me i'd hate my self for getting her into this if she got hurt i would blame myself forever

thanks for all the help and input guys i'm not around during the week much to help her so i really appreciate you all being so nice and helpful thats why rme is great!

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

While your physics may be true Steve, I do have to point out that you never pushed on the corner of an X, like you did in the picture labeled "cross bracing in the right place", just in the side of the X.

Or that you pushed on the corner of the very bottom of your series of pink squares (the one that looks like a sideways Y)

Or in the corner of the pink square with the sideways "V" labeled "strategic" places...

Just had to throw that out there, that with every design, you will be able to push somewhere and make a bend as you described :D haha

You're exactly right (and you knew this all before). I wasn't trying to say that design B was better than design A in all situations. I was trying to illustrate the point that cage design needs to be based on the loads each part will see, not on a magical shape. We're on the same page.

To the beginner designer (not aimed at anyone in particular), there's no magical shape that is perfect for all loads or all rigs. A lot of people just throw triangles everywhere hoping it'll be safe without anticipating what forces each point will see in a roll-over. I hope my pictures helped illustrate how to think through a potential load and design for it.

zukijames

Yeah x2 they're some good stuff to think about. Also fwiw if you do need help I'm laid-off right now due to weather so I'm schedule-less and if you do need help I can.

thanks for offering man ! sorry about ya being laid off where do you work? i always feel bad making people help me. but that sucker is heavy so dont be surprised if you get a call..

im going to try to finished the rear upper link today since im not working today.. got to cut the frame and plate and crossmember then put the mounts on the cross member ..
rear truss.. rear mount

i probably wont get it all done it doesn't look to great out there

These are my new 40" Creepy Crawlers on wheels i just bought i am so freaking excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!
tire1.jpg

The wheels have internal bead locks and are in great shape!!

rover1.jpg

They are going to be so BA when i get them on the axels

roverbutt.jpg

PS james butt was so cold you can kinda see its red lol what a good BF to help me with no underwear! lol

Last edited:

STAG

On my grind
thanks for offering man ! sorry about ya being laid off where do you work? i always feel bad making people help me. but that sucker is heavy so dont be surprised if you get a call..

Ha don't feel bad about it that's all I all winter is work on rigs when I can't afford to work on my own ha. And it's an expected layoff every year because I work at Eckles Paving with asphalt and we can't pave in the winter. So yeah if you ever need help (801)400.6427