Maldito's 99 4Runner Build

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Something that has always bugged me about my 4Runner is how far the front bumper sticks out. I've smacked it on several rocks around because it's too bulky up front and I've wanted to set up a low profile bumper for a while. I much prefer how snug the 96-98 bumpers are but I dislike their plan look. You can sort of see how far it sticks out in this picture.

12081528116_52a17cde62_b.jpg

So I decided that in the meantime while I decide exactly what I want out of my bumper, I would see if I can modify my existing one to be more stubby. So off came the bumper...

14624777722_2d7d98bc38_b.jpg

I removed the stock support brace and after some measuring and test fitting I cut it down to size and rewelded it at my desired size but retained the brace so the bumper remains firm. Test fitment

14438654248_548a4ebfe2_b.jpg

Decided it could stand to go in another 1/2" to an 1" and here's the final outcome. All in all I saved about 3 1/2" ~ of room up front and this will hold me over until I build a custom bumper for it.

14602261826_5c80f3948c_b.jpg

I'm pretty happy with the outcome, it has given me alot more room up front I think and it still looks stock, best of both worlds :D

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
And then most recently I went on a short overnighter camp out just because. This is after the bumper mod, cant really tell anything was done.

14645194573_612266d76a_b.jpg

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
I like the fat lip bumpers, but that's some sweet modding right there. I'm glad you didn't sell this truck.

Thanks! I like how the fat lip bumper looks more too but I don't like how far out it stuck. So rather than put on a 96-98 bumper that doesn't look as good I opted to mod this one. I like how it turned out too and I haven't really seen it done before on another 4Runner either.

I do have a lot of fun with it, I'm glad I have it also, but sometimes I still think about another rig. lol

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Got out for an overnighter this past weekend with moab_cj5, went out into Huntsville to camp friday night and then on Saturday after having breakfast we trekked north into Hardware Ranch hit up a few different spots along the way, I think Monte Cristo and particularly Peter Sinks, then from there we exited out by Bear Lake and took Logan canyon back down to the city. It was nice to explore that area of the state since I hadnt been up in that ways til now.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
In this picture you could seeBear Lake in the background. I didn't really take much of any pictures since we were driving most of the time.

14699307806_e0198a7f80_b.jpg

Being able to air down and back up on the trail was pretty sweet :D lol

14722311345_c2349079d2_b.jpg

Last edited:

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Airing down certainty helped on some of those roads. We need to head up there again soon. I had a blast! I still haven't cleaned my jeep.

Last edited:

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
I agree, and I wanna check out that Strawberry canyon also since we went around it this time. I washed mine and detailed the inside the very next day, I can't stand leaving it dirty for long, it bugs me lol.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I agree, and I wanna check out that Strawberry canyon also since we went around it this time. I washed mine and detailed the inside the very next day, I can't stand leaving it dirty for long, it bugs me lol.
Next time for sure we will hit Strawberry canyon. It bugs me that mine is so dirty, but it is just sitting in the garage until I get the time to wash it. Maybe this weekend...:cool:

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
That would be cool, the more the merrier! This was a pretty last minute decision on the trip but I'm sure we can send ya the invite next time :)

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
If you'd have me, I'd join next time. Love that area up there, that's where I spent most of last summer.
Not to hijack Maldito's thread, but I don't usually plan too far in advance if I an staying local. You are sure welcome if we look at a trip with some notice. I am looking at mid August before I can break away again like this.