Maldito's 99 4Runner Build

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Those of you that have built bumpers before out of DOM, how much do you typically end up using? Including scraps I guess. I am thinking I might finally bite the bullet and purchase a bender. But I know I'll have to pick up some dies and metal too. So I guess I am trying to figure out what the buy-in cost will, I already know what benders and dies cost but I dunno what I can expect to need for metal to get 1 or 2 bumpers done.

Last edited:

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
I dunno if people like to borrow them out unless you know someone well enough and I don't think I know someone with a bender enough lol. But the dies do tend to rack up the costs pretty fast. Some deals do come up though so you're right, I might need to keep an eye out for a deal

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I dunno if people like to borrow them out unless you know someone well enough and I don't think I know someone with a bender enough lol. But the dies do tend to rack up the costs pretty fast. Some deals do come up though so you're right, I might need to keep an eye out for a deal

The trick I've seen is to offer to bend for other guys if they buy the die for you. ;)

sixstringsteve

Will you be basing your bumper design of any other companies' bumpers? I'm a big fan of plate bumpers. No bends, no notching, good coverage and good looks. There are a few guys on here who will bend tube for you for a decent price. The problem I always see when guys do a DIY without much bender experience is that they waste a lot of tube to scrap when their bends aren't as precise as they had thought. I'll bet you'd be money ahead to pay someone else to do your bends for you (assuming they know what they're doing and don't waste your tube).

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
It won't be based off a company's design, but it will have about as many bends and maybe same amount of material as the All-Pro bumpers but it'll look a little different.

The rear bumper will be tube because I think it flows best with the body lines. But the front bumper might be a hybrid, because I like the plated designs but it would be easier to incorporate tube and plate the gaps.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Nice job on the 4Runner.

The bender itself will be the cheap part, the dies are what add up quickly. I purchased mine about eight years ago from Van Sant Enterprises, they were running a racers promo deal. It consisted of the bender and four dies. I can't remember the exact cost but it was like getting one die set free and also included shipping. I don't know if they still run that promo or have run it since.

Since that time I have added dies as I have had jobs come up that required them and they DO add up fast. I wouldn't waste money on the stand for the bender, I know a few guys who have bought them and they look ok but if you are proficient at welding and fabricating you should just be able to build one yourself. I originally made mine just out of .375" plate which bolted to the shop floor and then 4" square tube welded to the plate and fasten the bender to. I upgraded to air over hydraulic about 4-years ago when I was doing a lot of sandrails and then converted over to a roll around unit that does not require to be bolted to the ground but unless you do a lot of bending that may be overkill.

Like also mentioned above, I have built several bumpers over the years and have always used P&O plate with great results vs. tubular bumpers but everyone has their own style/tastes.

My bumpers can be seen in my build thread here.
http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?99822-ZMotorSports-2011-JKUR-Build-Thread

Mike.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Thanks for the info! I'll have look up that company to see if they still run promos. If it was only plating that I needed to do I think I have enough metal to piece together a front bumper at least, but I'll need to bend the rear one. Mainly I want to build them myself vs having it made for me, that's why I haven't gotten very far with inquiring among members.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Went on a trip to Skull Valley this week, had a fun time out there. Just made a day trip out of it since I had to work the next day. Couple of things I noticed that I want to do with the 4Runner though,

First, I need to install some fender flares that cover the tires, I don't like getting the runner muddy but it's nearly impossible when the tires stick out an inch past the wheel wells. So I'll be looking into that soon.

Second, I want to do the Tundra brake upgrade for better stopping power. Although I haven't felt like the power was inadequate so far for daily commuting, I have gotten on the brakes hard enough to see how well they stop and I can tell they are underpowered. So I think I'll be upgrading to 231mm Tundra brakes fairly soon.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
So I think I'm going to finally take the time to install my rear e-locker into the 4Runner. But I'm going to need some help doing it just because I'm not sure I want to tackle this project on my own. I'll be doing this in my garage and I would like to address it over a weekend. I could either do it on a Saturday or Sunday or both depending on availability of willing parties.

Just as a checklist before I commit to a date, I'll add what I suspect I'll be needing for the installation...

-(1)E-Locker Housing Gasket for Template
-(2) long 111mm Studs
-(2) of the Following small studs, washers and nuts for the additional holes in the housing.

And I think that's all I need for the installation alone, although I think I'll probably buy a full set of studs/nuts in case any of them strip during the process I'll just reinstall it with new hardware. I already have a welder in case I need to add metal to the housing, I have an angle grinder to shave away material off the housing to clear the 3rd. But I dont have a tap for the additional holes I'll need to make so I think I have to buy that right?

While I'm down there is there anything I should check or replace while I'm at it? Any gasket or such?

With that in mind, anyone up for coming over and helping me with the install?

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I'm free Saturday and Sunday morning, I'll come play. I have a set of taps I can bring, what size are the studs?

The guys here on RME turned me onto Permatex The Right Stuff for gaskets, I never use anything else now.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Thanks Kev, from what I read online the tap size is M8x1.25. I probably wont do it this weekend because I think I'm going to go down to LROR on Monday to buy the parts I need from my checklist and I might buy the Trail Gear Stud Delete kit? It has Allen bolts instead of the studs, which may or may not be better. So if I can get all the items I need on Monday I should be set for the following weekend, which would be the Jan 31st and 1st of Feb.

But come to think of it I wont be free the morning of the 31st because I know I'll have to work that day so I wouldnt be available until the afternoon. So maybe we can plan for Sunday the 1st of Feb.

Last edited:

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
That works for me! I'll update when I have the stuff I need. I should probably pick up brake pads for the rear drums while I'm back there.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Yeah, I wanted to pick them up tomorrow but they're only open til 2 and I'll be at work in the morning so I won't have time to get down there before they close. That's why I'll have to wait til Monday.

DewYota

that is understandable. good reasoning. I dig the runner btw. I had a 96 and yeah i didnt like the 99+ front ends. Good luck on the locker install! E-lockers are where its at!

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Thanks! Yeah I am looking forward to knocking out the locker finally off the list. Been a long time coming and it would be nice to have in some cases.

DewYota

what axle are you putting this elocker into? for some reason i feel like i saw a picture of just a third, you have an 8" axle housing your swapping this into correct, because im pretty sure you need a new axle. Your runner is running a 8.4" stock.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
I'm going to be retrofitting the 3rd member into my existing axle. I have a 8" axle housing. I believe only the non e-locker tacomas had the 8.4" rear end but all 4Runners had the 8" and I know mine does so I'll be using my current housing.