Maldito's 99 4Runner Build

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Thanks for the link! I've actually never heard of them til now lol. How come they are the recommended ones vs local shops? (I'm guessing they're in the east coast)

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Thanks for the link! I've actually never heard of them til now lol. How come they are the recommended ones vs local shops? (I'm guessing they're in the east coast)

I would always go with a local guy, myself, but the local guys seem to think your front diff is a righteous PITA and won't touch it :D.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Oh I see, the 3rd gen particularly? I was under the presumption that all IFS diffs are the same lol

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
FWIW: ARB bumper versus tube, etc. Particularly when dealing with anything late model such as the 4Runner model, there is an absolute reason the ARB sticks out further, it is Air-Bag compatible whereas others simply are not. The ARB incorporates crash tested crumple mounts that can take an impact yet hold up indefinitely to winch use, not an easy feat in a short distance. Purely speaking from my engineering back ground but why does a crumple zone matter? Air bags fire on a decelerometer, basically measuring how fast something slows down. A bumper without any designed crush or fold is going to fire the air bags at a lower speed than one with crush cans as they absorb part of the impact. Think your head against a brick wall in a baseball cap versus your head against the wall in a football helmet ;). Again, this doesn't mean your airbag won't fire, but it could fire in a 5PM hit rather than the 8mph? mandated by the fed?

Now, that said, if your going to play in the rocks the ARB simply doesn't make sense and I don't know of an airbag compatible bumper the does, rather you live with the potential consequences of air bag compliance or if it's truly a rock rig, simply disable the airbag system. If your not going to play in the rocks rather plan to daily drive it or perhaps drive to Ushuaia, it is a viable and proven option :D

ricsrx

Speaking of the lower ball joints, the Tacoma that I saw actually had the bolts sheer, not actual ball joint failure. Steve didn't your runner blow a ball joint. was it the ball that failed?

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
FWIW: ARB bumper versus tube, etc. Particularly when dealing with anything late model such as the 4Runner model, there is an absolute reason the ARB sticks out further, it is Air-Bag compatible whereas others simply are not. The ARB incorporates crash tested crumple mounts that can take an impact yet hold up indefinitely to winch use, not an easy feat in a short distance. Purely speaking from my engineering back ground but why does a crumple zone matter? Air bags fire on a decelerometer, basically measuring how fast something slows down. A bumper without any designed crush or fold is going to fire the air bags at a lower speed than one with crush cans as they absorb part of the impact. Think your head against a brick wall in a baseball cap versus your head against the wall in a football helmet ;). Again, this doesn't mean your airbag won't fire, but it could fire in a 5PM hit rather than the 8mph? mandated by the fed?

Now, that said, if your going to play in the rocks the ARB simply doesn't make sense and I don't know of an airbag compatible bumper the does, rather you live with the potential consequences of air bag compliance or if it's truly a rock rig, simply disable the airbag system. If your not going to play in the rocks rather plan to daily drive it or perhaps drive to Ushuaia, it is a viable and proven option :D

I didnt know ARB went thru such lengths to provide a factory compatible replacement. That is pretty nice to know, although in this instance it's not something that will apply to my needs for the vehicle, but cool no less. :cool:

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
I didnt know ARB went thru such lengths to provide a factory compatible replacement. That is pretty nice to know, although in this instance it's not something that will apply to my needs for the vehicle, but cool no less. :cool:

airbags or no airbages id worry more about the crumple zones on the front of teh frame that are made to crush in a impact. if you dont weld those up a minor hit with a solid off road bumper of any kind can jack the front of your frame up

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
I havent updated this thread for a bit now but I've slowly been gathering parts to make this come together.

So far I've picked up a factory e-locker for the rear with 4.10's in it. I havent installed that yet because while I wait to get more parts together I'll see if I can find an e-locker housing to install it to and if I can then I'll just install it into that and swap axles, but if I cant then as the build comes together more, I'll do a retrofit into my existing axle.
9354752464_91d54c3d11_c.jpg

I also picked up an OME HD lift kit today from Cruiser Outfitters that will be going on the runner in a few weeks once I get the ball joints ordered also so I can do the whole suspension at once. I opted for the HD coils since I'll be installing plated bumpers and a rear swing out tire carrier so they can support the extra weight of these add-ons.

9354644268_68ab53f5e2_c.jpg

Dont have any pictures yet but I've also ordered rock sliders for the 4Runner that will be going on once they are delivered and all the OEM parts to do the tune up are also on their way to me. I'll post pics once I get those.

Next in line is to order the lower ball joints and possibly upper control arms, I havent decided if I want those yet or not. A CB radio will also make it's way on there shortly. After that it's time to save up for the bigger items like the 4.88 gears, ARB locker and 35" tires.

sixstringsteve

congrats, that's a lot of great stuff. I highly recommend the Light Racing upper control arms. They're cheap and very much worth it.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Thanks Steve. I havent set my mind on the UCA's since I dont know how the alignment will turn out after I've installed the lift, if it's within tolerance I would leave it as is, but if it's something that would be a problem then I could see getting the items, but time will tell. If I have enough left over funds after it's all said and then then I dont see why I wouldnt get them.

sixstringsteve

Also, stock UCAs bind and limit your travel at full droop. Not a big deal for everyday driving, but it wears on them with lots of rock crawling.

I would also look into beefing up the lower rear links and possibly moving them back an inch or so (check with the 4runner guys, they'll know better than me).

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
My rock sliders, CB radio and some of my tune up items arrived today, feels like christmas watching the parts pile up :D I think it will be a busy weekend putting parts together and doing a tune up. Not sure how much of it I will get done since I'm not in a huge hurry at the moment. Are there any upcoming trips I should know about? Maybe what I need is a set date to light a fire under my ass lol...

Everyone loves pics so here we go:

9366382591_0644ac2ae0_b.jpg

9369160528_d84614b72b_b.jpg