Maldito's 99 4Runner Build

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Yeah I'm looking forward to running them but its been harder than I thought trying to find some OEM 17" wheels so I will probably end up ordering new with a custom backspace to avoid running spacers. So until my wheel situation is figured out I will be on some Geolanders lol.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Got some work in on the 4Runner this weekend, was too busy with other things so my time on it was limited. Knocked out a few more of the items on my maintenance list today and got started on the rock sliders.

Cutting up the legs to length, fitting and tacking them up how I'm gonna want them. I like welding them on with the long side facing out and the curves facing in so there's more protection along the body, otherwise the parts that curve in leave like a whole foot of room for a rock to wedge itself in there or hit a rocker panel. They are angled up a little bit.

9386846579_6cdbfb4674_b.jpg

9386845315_21f70b4c1a_b.jpg

9386842773_95d37e4cb7_b.jpg

I got both sides fit and tacked up but I'll weld them completely and gusset them later in the week, maybe tuesday or wednesday since I ran out of time today.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
What's the opinion on the Goodyear MTR's with Kevlar? Some Google searching says they run closer to true to size and weight about the same as the KM2's.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
What's the opinion on the Goodyear MTR's with Kevlar? Some Google searching says they run closer to true to size and weight about the same as the KM2's.

I'm a fan. I've had 40" and 38" on my Jeep and ran some 265s on my Dodge for a while. They're not exactly quiet. They work well on sandstone, granite and dirt. OK on the highway. Better in the snow than you'd expect.

sixstringsteve

they measure taller than the KM2s. I'm sure they're better in snow than the KM2s. Also check out the duratracs with the 3-ply sidewall (not the 2-ply LT tire). Duratracs may just be my next tire.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Their grooves and siping look like they would do pretty good on snow. I'm not overly worried about highway noise since it will probably be mostly for trails. Good review so far and you have several sets worth of experience with them, mbryson

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Steve, are the km2 mediocre on snow? A good snow tire will be helpful since it will probably be used full time during the winter months. I have seen the Duratracs but for some reason they havent grabbed my attention very much, but both tires do seem to cost less than the km2.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Their grooves and siping look like they would do pretty good on snow. I'm not overly worried about highway noise since it will probably be mostly for trails. Good review so far and you have several sets worth of experience with them, mbryson

They're likely going on my JKU after the Toyos wear out. That or the Maxxis that Skippy is running on his JKU.... LIkely come down to price/availability difference

sixstringsteve

Steve, are the km2 mediocre on snow? A good snow tire will be helpful since it will probably be used full time during the winter months. I have seen the Duratracs but for some reason they havent grabbed my attention very much, but both tires do seem to cost less than the km2.

I love the KM2s in snow deeper than 1", but on snow dusted/icy roads, they're not a very good tire (most mud terrains aren't good on snow-covered roads). I recommend purchasing a tire based on the performance for the types of terrain you'll be driving, not looks. The duratracks are extremely hard to beat (once you upgrade to the 3-ply sidewall).

I also think the Maxxis Trep radials rock, but they're pretty heavy for our little motors to turn. From what my friends tell me, you'll definitely feel the difference between a KM2 and a trepador.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Yeah the only real street driving it will see typically will be during the winter and some highway use if I'm heading to a trail, but I'm gonna try and keep it a pretty dedicated trail rig to go exploring, camping, some wheeling and hopefully Moab. So my main concerns will be the snow and offroad characteristics. I'll look more into the Duratracs and compare them cost wise to the MTRwK and KM2's though since these are the ones that I am leaning towards based off of weight per tire and peer review off-road.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
I did get a little bit of free time today and finished welding both sliders and applying the primer. I decided to wait until tomorrow or Thursday to apply the bed liner coating since that stuff takes a while to dry and I didnt want to handle them or move them around while they are wet or sticky because it's a PITA to wash off unless I wanna use acetone/paint thinner.

I taped off 1/4" all around the base plates so that the paint wont interfere with the welds when I'm welding them to the frame. Trying to weld over paint almost always results in pin holes. Here's a picture of that just because everyone loves pictures lol...

9403489959_53fb96a87e_b.jpg

And I know people like to look at welds and how one another does it I figure I'll post a couple of pictures of my welds. Some turned out better than others and I was running the machine a bit cold before I turned up the heat some so I got a bit of dingle berries that I'm too lazy to scrape off since they wont be visible under the body.

At first they were coming down a little bubbly so I upped the temperature another click and here there isnt any cold roll or undercut and I could see it penetrating the metal very well.

9406250048_8b682b224a_b.jpg

9406248916_73b99a38f7_b.jpg

Last edited:

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I like my KM2s a lot, but they are a little sketch on the ice. Siping helps. I think I'm going to put 235/85 Duratracs on my wife's truck when her KM2s finally wear out - I don't notice guys with Duratracs spinning rubber a lot on the rocks, and they're supposed to be unstoppable on sloppy pavement. Do not underestimate the Power Of The Skinnies though! I get much less mass and rolling resistance for the height with 255/85 tires, and you can't get a skinny Duratrac or MTR above a 32" the last time I checked.

What welder are you using?

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
I've never adopted the skinnies much. From my street cars to wheeling cars I've always preferred having wide rubber. I know that a skinny tire will do better in snow but I figure with the right tire it can be a non issue.

I'm using a Lincoln WeldPak 155 with flux core. I haven't set it up for mig.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
The thing about skinnies is, there's more PSI pushing against the rock or ice for the same truck weight than a fatter tire, which in theory leads to better deformation against wrinkles in the terrain and better traction. But like Steve says, they may run a higher risk of sideroll, and if you have to float on sand or mud they're definitely less than ideal. But everybody has to drive their own truck. Somewhere between "holy crap that's way too wide" and "why do you have bicycle tires on your rig" there's a sweet spot, and it's probably different for every truck and driving style.

You're gonna have to come show me some tips, I'd love to get welds looking like that with my little Lincoln fluxcore.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
I think a 10.5" or 11.5" is a good median between skinny and fat. I definitely dont like seeing 13.5" tires, they seem like balloons lol.

But I'll be more than happy to stop by sometime and give you some pointers on welding. Are you 110 or 220v?

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Lol no worries. I do prefer welding them in this fashion to provide more coverage of the panels that the curved portion seems to expose when welded the typical way.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Alright that will be fine. I've used 110 before I picked up my 220 and it could weld most all the same stuff so far.