Maldito's 99 4Runner Build

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Havent really done much of anything in the way of upgrading the 4Runner. I've been pretty comfortable with how it has performed so far and it's gotten me through everything I've wanted to take on. The only thing that I feel that I still need to take care of are the bumpers, at least the front one, the factory bumper sits too far out and I feel like it really impacts my approach angle.

I just havent gotten around to removing the factory one so that I can mock up a cardboard one to see how everything is going to line up. I do want to build it around a future winch but I dont currently have one to mock up and so I've just been wondering how much space I would want to leave for it.

I had been meaning to go on a casual drive through the mountain so yesterday afternoon I put a few bucks of gas in the 4Runner, loaded up my dog and went up to the mountain for an afternoon drive. I knew it was late but I thought I might bump into sawtooth4x4 along the way since he mentioned he would be up in skyline dr., dont think I saw him though.

I was prepared to have to turn around at the first gate but it was still open so I proceeded on up to the top and looped over to where the Bountiful Peaks landmark is at. Walked around up there and met a nice guy, I think his name is Steve, we chit chat for a bit and went about our ways. All in all, glad I decided to get out yesterday because with today's snowfall it will make things a little harder to travel in.

Here's some pics...

10650749073_93182ba6f8_b.jpg

10650536204_8e804ed711_b.jpg

10650496455_b0a7de514b_b.jpg

10650495664_dbd3cb4975_b.jpg

10650698073_e013820015_b.jpg

10650691283_3e025f75a6_b.jpg

On the way home she was all pooped out that she was first resting her head out the window and she just slumped over asleep like this lol...

10650454245_0dbccb8820_b.jpg

sixstringsteve

nice report! Glad you're liking the rig. In hindsight, I wish I hadn't tucked my bumper in quite as much as I did. I didn't leave a ton of room for winch wiring, or a light bar up front. I think I have the smallest bumper I can have and still have a winch, and my approach angle rocks, but I would sacrifice 1/2-1" of approach angle for a bit more space up front.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Thanks for the suggestion on that. I will have to start looking into mocking this up soon. I wanted to have it completed before the end of the year.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
SORRY MAN. My wife talked me into going out to the Bonneville Salt Flats. And then we went on the Scenic Silver Lake Mountains By-Way.

Give me a shout sometime. I'd like to run some of the other roads up there. I have a winch and recovery gear and i'm on 33" tires.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Hey no worries! I left quite a bit later than you had mentioned so I was thinking I might've already missed you so it wasn't no biggie. But scenic drives are fun too, so likewise let me know if you ever want another rig out there with ya. And I'll let you know next time I'm going up the B also.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Haven't really done much on the 4Runner this winter so no updates.

Yesterday I picked up a new set of 33" Duratracs for the runner. I got them in 17" flavor but now I just need to find me a set of 17" wheels. If I don't find any OEM's for a good deal then I will probably just special order an aftermarket set with the correct backspace and be done with it.

Reason for going 33's vs 35's was that I haven't really done anything rock crawling related that would necessitate 35's. While Moab will happen later on this year, I think just sticking with trails suitable for my rig will be fine. But I can cross that road when I get there. For now I think 33's will be perfect for me and my needs.

Rear locker still is not installed, I am such a slacker.

Last edited:

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
That sounds like a good plan! I was hoping to get out at the end of this month for an overnighter. Not sure if that will still happen but in any case hopefully by spring them we can get another trip set up to test out all the new goodies on the rigs lol.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Recently the 4Runner started clicking a few times before it would turn on and it was progressively getting worse so I looked into the issue and seemed like the starter contacts are a common problem on these cars so I picked up a set of contacts and replaced those this evening. No more start up issues, I think I should be good for another 100k miles now. I also replaced the battery on it, the old one mighit've still had some life left in it but better safe than sorry, so a new Duralast Gold is on it now too.

12081528116_52a17cde62_b.jpg

On this pic you can definitely tell the old contact was VERY worn down. The other one was in good shape which seems to be the common case from some online searching, I still replaced both of them anyways.

12080871135_7827747b65_b.jpg

By the way is anyone thirsty for a coke right about now? :rofl:

And here's a random pic of my tires just because tires are cool lol....

12081201813_579ae16c7e_b.jpg

Attachments

• 12081528116_52a17cde62_b.jpg
    12081528116_52a17cde62_b.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 12080871135_7827747b65_b.jpg
    12080871135_7827747b65_b.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 12081201813_579ae16c7e_b.jpg
    12081201813_579ae16c7e_b.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 8

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
I had been planning to pick up an e-locker housing to drop my third into without having to mess with modifying the existing housing in the 4Runner. But I started thinking about that, most housings will be out of a tacoma so I would need to cut off the spring perches and install my own coil perches instead?

Not or sure how much work is involved in that or if I am just better off modifying the housing to fit the e-locker third?

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
I did a good bit of running around today but I managed to get the truck buttoned up and ready for a trip this weekend. Started by dropping off the wheels and tires over at Discount Tire co. to get mounted and balanced. I picked up a set of FJ Cruiser steelies for fairly cheap so while they did that I drove down to LROR to pick up a set of 1.25" Spidertrax wheel spacers for the front and rear so that the tires wouldnt hit the A-Arms. Then when I got back I picked up my tires and I was set!

Tomorrow I will see if the 33" tire will fit under the runner where the stock spare goes, I'll check if I have to cut away anything to make it fit, but if it looks like it wont then I might just have to carry it inside the 4Runner, not sure if I trust the stock roof rack system to tighten down the spare on the roof.

A quick before picture

12216836615_c8f9228317_b.jpg

12216863044_b1830ebfcc_b.jpg

With the front mounted, the rear still stock

12217059446_b211d13878_b.jpg

All 4 mounted and ready. With the OME suspension and the 33's the wheel gap really looks just right, I had to trim the front bumper plastic just a little bit for now. I'll have to see tomorrow what I need to clearance when the tire is stuffed into the wheel well.

12217065206_e9a16dd068_b.jpg

With the spacers on there the tires stick out about 1.5 or 2" so I may need to add some fender flares down the road, but I dont imagine the cops will get on my case about it since it's not very much. But I'll want to add front mud flaps for sure if I want to avoid a mess on my doors.

12217070776_bb2441f84b_b.jpg

Last edited:

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
I'll take better pictures tomorrow when it's daylight. I did get to drive it around town tonight after I finished it and with 2-3" of snow on the ground already the tires were handling the snow extremely well, much much better than the Geolanders that I had on there before. Although it's not alot of snow on the ground, it was still very very nice to have so much traction.

The wider stance with the spacers also made the 4Runner feel alot more stable around turns, didnt feel like I had as much roll through the turn. I'm happy with how it's behaving now.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Thanks, I really like how it turned out too. Before it looked too skinny at the bottom. Kinda like those guys that go to the gym and only work out their upper body :rofl:

Troop92

Thanks, I really like how it turned out too. Before it looked too skinny at the bottom. Kinda like those guys that go to the gym and only work out their upper body :rofl:

Trooper used to be that way, tires/rims all tucked in. Your spacers - or my slight offset rims - do wonders! Beefy tires are icing...