Maldito's 99 4Runner Build

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
I haven't wired up the CB yet so I still plan to put that in and I'll probably make my own antenna mount for it. I might also install the rear e-locker since I don't have much else going on with it at the moment. I don't mind the current ground clearance I have so I'm gonna run it this way for the time being.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Yup. If you don't go up Constrictor you should be down by noon easy. Rattlesnake is a 30-45 minute trail unless you spend a lot of time screwing around.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Thinking about building a panhard bar to recenter my rear axle because right now it's about 1" to the passenger side. I'm thinking 1.5" DOM tubing or is that too thick? I figure heim joints on each end but is there a better option than that? I ran heim joints on a traction bar in my track CRX in the past and they rusted a bit so I dunno if I want to run them that way since this will see much more salt than the track be ever did.

Opinions?

dutchman

KI7KSV
Thinking about building a panhard bar to recenter my rear axle because right now it's about 1" to the passenger side. I'm thinking 1.5" DOM tubing or is that too thick? I figure heim joints on each end but is there a better option than that? I ran heim joints on a traction bar in my track CRX in the past and they rusted a bit so I dunno if I want to run them that way since this will see much more salt than the track be ever did.

Opinions?

I'm interested to see what you do for this. At some point I should probably look at mine, but the lift has been on for 2+ years and I haven't been bothered by the axle shift.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
If you run a decent heim joint they shouldnt rust I run heims on every single one of my Jeeps and have never had one rust

Thardy

"FARM TOY"

Opinions?

i just sleeved mine. I cut it put a piece of pipe over it lined it up where it needed to be then welded and painted. Looks decent and held up good.

I still have it if either you or Dutchman want it.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Went out to Rattlesnake today to finally get a real feel of the 4Runner off road, met up with Kevin and we did Rattlesnake then we arrived at Wayne's World and met up with spacecase and monsteryota and another guy with an FJ. Didnt attempt WW but went around to the next section and got through Constrictor and up to the final obstacle before arriving at Radiator Rapids, after seeing the effort these guys were putting into getting through it, I opted not to try it.

Now that I've finished this trip I've decided it's time to get off my ass and install the rear e-locker I have sitting around. Watching Kevin crawl up obstacles that I had to bump or try different lines at was an eye opener lol. As far as tires go I think the Geolanders did pretty well, didnt bother airing them down but I think I'll do that next time to see how much better they handle traction. I think I may continue to run them as is for the time being as I didnt feel any real need to run a bigger size today.

I'm definitely glad I didnt try this trip before installing the rock sliders, because I made plenty of use of them, all of it was on Constrictor but that would've been some messed up rocker panels otherwise. I'll need to get started on fabbing up the front and rear bumpers as well since my front bumper got broken on the bottom plastic after smacking a rock in a squeeze, the muffler also got smashed but I dont care because it's a POS muffler that I've been meaning to replace as well.

Here's a few pictures of today....

9535056008_de5ba7cbce_c.jpg

9532268251_2fff996b9a_c.jpg

9535051394_24f2ccb47b_c.jpg

Last edited:

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Yeah I'll be doing the front locker as well when I free up some money. But at that time I'll also be regearing for 35's so I have to line everything up to do it all together and that's gonna be some $$. Fortunately I already bought the e-locker so I don't have to worry about picking one up. I just need to get the housing out from under the 4runner to work on it. At the same time I do that I'll see what I'm gonna do about the panhard bar.

Another thing that happened yesterday is I popped the driver side axle boot. So I will need to reboot it, I haven't done a reboot before but it seems to be a well covered topic online so I don't think I'll run into any problems doing it. I knew it was gonna give from when I installed the lift, didn't realize it would be this quick though. Is there a preference as to which boot kit to buy?

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
3rd gen owners...what kind of mpg or per tank are you getting? I'm only averaging about 200-220 per tank out of mine before I get the gas light turning on and I'm on E. I can't rember exactly how many gallons I fill up to when I refuel since I haven't had several tanks yet since it gets minimal usage, but one time I did get about 16 gallons in there. But it just seems like I should get better mileage out of a tank.

edit: I'll update this once I figure out my mpg since this could be anywhere depending how many gallons it takes when I fill up.

Last edited: