Marc Bryson lazy "build" -JT Gladiator Rubicon

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I should probably write a 25k mile eval but I'm too busy using the truck for its various duties. I have a "trail days" tracker going in this thread. I should probably make a "truck jobs" portion or something? 20231202_074335.jpg

Hey look, an XJ on a trailer. Things a not quite half ton truck can do.

While @lbryson and I were getting her XJ fixed up, @ebryson finished a 3D print for my fancy new ICOM radio with detached faceplate. Not the greatest picture but it looks pretty cool in real life.20231202_210717.jpg

Radio is super accessible, not in the way of anything and leverages unused space very well.

20231203_090002.jpg

Last edited:

mbryson

Supporting Member
Not sure when I'll get these on but I found a deal on some 38" Nitto I couldn't pass up. I think these will be a solid match for the JT and I still get a few $ out of the Mickey Thompson MTZ ? Time will tell, I guess. Definitely less aggressive than the MTZ20231226_162736.jpg

Some polished alum wheels would be a bonus, at least to me.

Edit: This used to be a fun thing. When did wheels get so ugly? They actually want real money for these things even though they look bleh. What's a nice looking, off road type wheel, not black or dark gray or red or the like, that can take a few Rock hits and not look gichy?

...and no, I don't have New Balance shoes. (well, I have some black ones that I use to mow the lawn in)

Edit 2: these are kind of cool but like $400 per corner... I mean, I like them but I'm not sure I like them that much?
1703640493873.png

Last edited:

mbryson

Supporting Member
I can get a great price on these from @lbryson

4379387-1702058207-392887.jpg

Maybe I try and doctor those up a bit? I can't imagine it'd be fun to a) strip those of OEM power coat and b) polish them? Can the heavy truck guys do that kind of thing?

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I can get a great price on these from @lbryson

4379387-1702058207-392887.jpg

Maybe I try and doctor those up a bit? I can't imagine it'd be fun to a) strip those of OEM power coat and b) polish them? Can the heavy truck guys do that kind of thing?
We have that same wheel and tire on our Mojave. I personally think the wheel is too narrow for that tire.

mbryson

Supporting Member
We have that same wheel and tire on our Mojave. I personally think the wheel is too narrow for that tire.

I assumed that might be the case when I got to look at them. Some of the OEM wheels state they are 8.5" wide. I guess these aren't that?

rr-mine1-jpg.71490

I guess I'm not banned anymore from that forum. Anyway, that seems to confirm the wheels are 7.5" like the Hickster mentions above. 38x12.50R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers are recommended for 8-10.5" wheels. https://www.nittotire.com/light-truck-tires/ridge-grappler-light-truck-tire/
The chart seems to recommend a 10" wheel?
1703653600822.png

So it "could" work, but I'd feel better with 8" (I wonder when that's been said before?)

Last edited:

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I assumed that might be the case when I got to look at them. Some of the OEM wheels state they are 8.5" wide. I guess these aren't that?

rr-mine1-jpg.71490

I guess I'm not banned anymore from that forum. Anyway, that seems to confirm the wheels are 7.5" like the Hickster mentions above. 38x12.50R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers are recommended for 8-10.5" wheels. https://www.nittotire.com/light-truck-tires/ridge-grappler-light-truck-tire/
The chart seems to recommend a 10" wheel?
View attachment 167802

So it "could" work, but I'd feel better with 8" (I wonder when that's been said before?)
I’d go for a 9” wheel, myself. These JL/JT’s come with either BFG’s or Falken’s. They are the same size on the sidewall, but the Falken is physically wider. I can’t get these to stop feathering on the edges, no matter the pressures I run them at. Jeep says 37 PSI, which is at least ten lbs higher than the Load Inflation Tables. I run them at about 26 and still get feathering. I have 12k miles in them. The wheel is just too narrow for this particular tire, and I would assume for a larger 37/38” tire as well.

mbryson

Supporting Member
1703696088849.png

RockTrix suggested these. Definitely an option. I'll check in @TRD270 thread to see what wheels @Agility Customs has lined up for you :D

Edit:
I hear @Agility Customs has some sweet wheels for sale 😂 and you’d save me some money since I haven’t been able to pick them up yet.

AEV Pintler wheels is what he posted up in your thread. Those are SWEET and look awesome1703696529802.png

They're even a decent color instead of just straight black. https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/73884157

Much darker than I'm after if they're the same color as this JKU

jk-pintler-wheels-4-1500x703.jpg

Last edited:

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
The pic I posted is the actual rim Ryan sent me a pic of, think they’re lighter than that one on the red jeep

DAA

Look like the same color as my old TJ Pintlers on my LJ.

untitled-504-2W.jpg

Put AEV wheels on Cindy's JL, the Savegres. But she wanted the blackish ones. I'm not a big fan of the color, but the wheels are high quality and the look has grown on me just slightly. And they'll fit 37's when it's time to get new tires on it.

- DAA

mbryson

Supporting Member
They are KMC MESA FORGED MONOBLOCK

Yikes! Those are forged? They are out of scope for sure unfortunately due to price. I'm just not willing to throw down that much $ at this time (still have some Buick things to do and the "Jeep" is asking for a lot of funds right now). The Gladiator will have to get by with something else

lhracing

Yikes! Those are forged? They are out of scope for sure unfortunately due to price. I'm just not willing to throw down that much $ at this time (still have some Buick things to do and the "Jeep" is asking for a lot of funds right now). The Gladiator will have to get by with something else

I posted the picture more to show a polished/machined wheel on a white truck. I like the look, but I like white New Balance shoes also...