Marc Bryson lazy "build" -JT Gladiator Rubicon

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Trail day #22 - Fins and Things

No pics as it was kind of windy and 35*. I stayed in the extreme comfort of the JT. Joined by Rick Wolcutt and Brett Davis that lead Fins at various EJS times during the week, we chatted almost entirely via CB until we reached the canyon overlook. On the trail at 8 am, off it at 11 am.

We aired up and headed for home. Not that Fins is gnarly or anything but the JT is a pretty impressive vehicle in my book. 8 am, I'm shifting into low range and going up and over fins and rocks and things until 11 then I adapt it to aired up and 2H and expect it to take me home at about 70-84 mph and get 20 mpg doing that. It does it.

Last edited:

mbryson

Supporting Member
I can't even remember the last time I was on Dome Plateau and none or your pics even ring a bell
Thanks for sharing the pics from Dome Plateau. I've wanted to run it multiple times and then ended up doing the "usual" trails. I need this diversification.

I'll be running it at least 2-3 more times before EJS 2024 if either (or other folks) of you want to jump in.

I take the truck in for it's High Pressure Fuel pump recall on Wednesday. They sound like they have down to a science as it's only needed for about 3-4 hours. I'm anxious to see that get taken care of

Just dropped the truck off. We'll see how it goes

mbryson

Supporting Member
Some updates: No news on the high pressure fuel pump. Apparently they needed to do an actual inspection before ordering the pump. It's supposedly on its way. I have a new service writer that I sort of trust at Bountiful LHM. Jennifer is reasonably attentive and keeps me in the loop where others there are not very awesome at that.

This past Friday my battery puked again and Jeep replaced it under warranty. I've been getting a little vibe about being "extensively modified" the last few times I've been in there. I don't feel that a lift/tires, winch, bumpers, Rick sliders and a couple radios are "extensively modified". We'll have to see how that goes.

I'm stuck with them or Young. I have 15+ years going to Bountiful LHM and don't trust Young at all. We'll see how this goes. Other "close" Jeep dealer is the former Hinckley location that was bought by Salt Lake Valley GMC a few years ago. No opinion there than I'm a little out of my way to go there.

Jennifer at LHM Bountiful worked with the tech and had him do a thorough battery test after me just asking how much they charged for a battery and I'd just change it out in the parking lot if it was competitively priced. The test ultimately failed and I got a new main battery. So far, so good.

Fuel pump is now "on order" (I want to believe it this time) through Jennifer. We'll see how that goes.

Interesting stuff rather the dealership drama:
No real pics to speak of but we just had trail day #23. My phone was over heating and barely functional. Behind the Reef trail for RR4W trail of the month. Good "trail" and awesome sights on the mostly road. I GPS/Gaia'd the route from Green River Maverick in case I wanted to do the route again. I probably do but the reverse of how we did it for RR4W. Not much 4 low at all this day but cool stuff very near Goblin Valley (that I've still never been to).

Here's my four pics from the day. 20231118_100712.jpg20231118_101154.jpg20231118_103145.jpg20231118_132655.jpg

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I’m not glad you’re having the same dealership experience as I have with my truck but it’s a little comforting…
Ken Garff has been the same way- taking forever to order parts for recalls and then management has them put the parts on new trucks in the lot. The service guys hate it too.

mbryson

Supporting Member
I’m not glad you’re having the same dealership experience as I have with my truck but it’s a little comforting…
Ken Garff has been the same way- taking forever to order parts for recalls and then management has them put the parts on new trucks in the lot. The service guys hate it too.

Your CUMMINGS has issues? Unpossible

mbryson

Supporting Member
Not issues but stupid recalls like the high pressure pump- just like yours. And the transmission dipstick. Dumb stuff, really.

I'm seriously floored that a CUMMINGS has recalls and any issues of any kind

(I've had two over the years. LOVE the engine, rest of the truck has been an absolute pile---2004 was a massive pile, 1998 24v was just the trans and other commonly known stuff)

N-Smooth

I'm seriously floored that a CUMMINGS has recalls and any issues of any kind

(I've had two over the years. LOVE the engine, rest of the truck has been an absolute pile---2004 was a massive pile, 1998 24v was just the trans and other commonly known stuff)
I mean it’s not as dependable as an Egoboost (lolz) but it’s still ok.

mbryson

Supporting Member
I mean it’s not as dependable as an Egoboost (lolz) but it’s still ok.

Our egoboost (Lincoln version so I'm sure it's more special than others? Only has 75k on it though) has been pretty impressive so far. Not sure I'd buy another one as I'm REALLY coming around to just basic V8 and simple powertrains are best. Not sure how possible that is in ANYTHING newish/new. 7.3L gasser Fords are looking like the next thing for me to buy.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Our egoboost (Lincoln version so I'm sure it's more special than others? Only has 75k on it though) has been pretty impressive so far. Not sure I'd buy another one as I'm REALLY coming around to just basic V8 and simple powertrains are best. Not sure how possible that is in ANYTHING newish/new. 7.3L gasser Fords are looking like the next thing for me to buy.

After many egoboosts both personal and work mobile this is where I’m at. Love the 7.3, even broke 15mpg the other day. 95% of my driving with it lately has been with a trailer. Motor has gobs of power, trans is able to keep it in the power band with ease thought the trans still does drive me a bit bat shit

N-Smooth

I’m honestly hopeful that the Goshzilla drivetrain proves itself as reliable in the longterm. I’d turn down a FREE new Powerstroke but would consider a GZ.

Thread detailing over 🤣

mbryson

Supporting Member
Trail Day #24-7 Mile Rim

IMG_20231124_182951.jpg

Started trail at about 10:45am, at Dewey's eating by 4:30pm. Not a fun drive down but a great day once we got through the mud at the start.

Not many pics obviously. Phone overheating again. Fun trail but kind of mild. Uranium Arch, i-lean, Monitor/Merrimack etc aren't bad at all. My phone and my JT are NOT friends. Lots of friction there. I'm going to try a new cable for tomorrow. Dome Plateau is up on the docket there. This pic from @lbryson

@UPNO4 and crew
@ebryson
@XJEEPER and brother and local Moab friend, Jeff/wife
Don Merril

Last edited: