Mental health: it’s ok to talk.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Keeping busy helps.
We really committed hard to racing this year.
We've raced 15 races and worked 2.
The races I've worked usually are two or three weekends of commitment.
So that's 19 weekends (or so) I've been out racing on the bike. 1 weekend I rode to Delta Old School and 1 weekend my wife and I rode to Park City.

We've got three races left:
one in USRA
one in UMORA
and one in NHHA.
It's been really stressful being so busy, but it's a trade I've made for being alone with my thoughts which isn't so good.
Filling every waking moment isn't the way to do things, but like they said: men cope.
I'm really looking forward to the mental break of finishing off these three series.

We're at maybe 24 weekends of riding (this week is 41 of 52 this year) so maybe 50% of the year... and that much time under the helmet has helped me think a lot without the distractions of life. It's quiet under there. The closeness to danger and immediate demands of focus and fear makes all the ADHD "noise" go quiet. It's my sacred time.

I feel like most of us could learn to find value and purpose in our existence and not in what we can physically accomplish.
At least I need to learn how to do that...

I didn't really know where I was going when I started writing this and it might not even be cohesive but it just needed out of my head and I'm grateful for a place where I can share it and not be judged.

Last edited:

Houndoc

I’ve been in the camp of “don’t talk about it” for a while.

I had talked to my ex gf a bit (when we were still dating, not postpartum) about some of the stuff I deal with and she didn’t get it nor take to it well. Which further made me feel like “just don’t talk about it”

I had the currently worst-moment of my life happen almost a year ago. I have talked about it lightly with a few family members but no one really knows how it effected me. I haven’t really been the same since, mentally.

I will say that I often would say it would be nice to have a best friend to hang out with here and there. Seems like all my friends lately are busy with their families, which I get is totally a good thing to be busy with.

Currently I’m looking at a few bigger vacations to plan next year (Australia/NZ, Alaska backcountry, possibly more) and currently I’m just planning on going alone. Which I’m cool with too.
Alone time is good, but finding someone you can talk to is important.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Well I made it. One year ago yesterday I drank my last beer. Augustish last year I smoked my last cigarette. I’ve struggled with drinking the majority of my life. Could never just have one. Never got wild and crazy or belligerent—just drank a LOT very often.

Mentally I thought I’d feel better than I do but my wife and kids are a constant reminder I made the right choice. Unweaving that fabric that was so deeply ingrained in my brain was probably the hardest thing I’ve ever done. Cold turkey, no meetings just stopped…. The odds of that actually working are slim to impossible so I feel pretty darn good about it.

I sure enjoy what you guys have posted on this forum over the years. The rigs, bikes, projects, outdoors and the mental health stuff. Thanks for that it’s a constant reminder to get off my ass and do cool stuff 😎

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Well I made it. One year ago yesterday I drank my last beer. Augustish last year I smoked my last cigarette. I’ve struggled with drinking the majority of my life. Could never just have one. Never got wild and crazy or belligerent—just drank a LOT very often.

Mentally I thought I’d feel better than I do but my wife and kids are a constant reminder I made the right choice. Unweaving that fabric that was so deeply ingrained in my brain was probably the hardest thing I’ve ever done. Cold turkey, no meetings just stopped…. The odds of that actually working are slim to impossible so I feel pretty darn good about it.

I sure enjoy what you guys have posted on this forum over the years. The rigs, bikes, projects, outdoors and the mental health stuff. Thanks for that it’s a constant reminder to get off my ass and do cool stuff 😎

Way to go! That is very impressive and very difficult!

I've tried to part with the Dew, but I think 6 months is about my longest break.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks

That's an awesome accomplishment. Congrats.
I quite smoking 15 years ago and it seems like two lifetimes ago. Long game man.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.

I've lost track of how long it's been since I quit smoking - years and years, though. It's the best thing I ever did for myself. Good job, Andrew!

Tonkaman

Hell yeah! It’s way tough let than most people can appreciate. We’re proud of you man.

For me personally I find I still feel awkward without a beverage in my hand whenever I’m in a social setting. I usually just replace it with soda or food so that’s a whole new problem to fight with 😂

Jesser04

Congrats! I’m just a little over 3 years. I don’t miss it one bit I’ve saved a ton of money and I’m a better father/husband without it.

Kevin B.

This was an interesting read. My takeaway is the thought that internet friends are good, but real life friends are gooder when it comes to mental health.

That article linked this one: http://america.aljazeera.com/watch/...hy-is-utah-americas-most-depressed-state.html. So I went looking and found that's a real correlation: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8530170/.

1699474448649.png

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I dunno man. I've lived in a higher altitude than SLC proper for about 7 years now and I've never been happier to get away from that place. X-D

Now that I'm not in Utah, I do now see something I didn't really notice before: A LOT of people are keeping up with the Jones' in Utah. Probably should be more like "Keeping up withe the Smith's" but you get what I mean. A lot of people are competing on image. It's super weird, and it's super unhealthy from a mental standpoint. I think it's why happy valley is so happy on pills, to be honest.

Kevin B.

A lot of people are competing on image.
I think that's every metro area I've lived in, though. People that wanna be near other people tend to be the sorts of people who cant help comparing themselves to other people maybe?

I'm getting out of the Salt Lake valley as soon as I can. Within a couple years, I hope. Everywhere I wanna go is also at elevation though, so...

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I dunno man. I've lived in a higher altitude than SLC proper for about 7 years now and I've never been happier to get away from that place. X-D

Now that I'm not in Utah, I do now see something I didn't really notice before: A LOT of people are keeping up with the Jones' in Utah. Probably should be more like "Keeping up withe the Smith's" but you get what I mean. A lot of people are competing on image. It's super weird, and it's super unhealthy from a mental standpoint. I think it's why happy valley is so happy on pills, to be honest.
If I'm not mistaken, Alaska is #1 for suicide in the US and Wyoming is #2. I always figured it was due to long cold winters and being cooped up.

On a side note, I've been off of social media since the last week of September and I have noticed a sizable increase in my happiness. I'm going to hold out as long as I can. I haven't noticed anything I am missing other than the time vacuum.