Mine eyes

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I've been pretty careful since getting PRK but this thread has my stomach in knots. I feel scared straight, again, to keep away from the safety squints.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
No drilling for me. That sounds BAD! I have had to get one scrapped out. I did not like watching the DR. stick a scalpel in my eye.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Metal in the eye blows... When I was 16y/o I got a metal sliver in my eye while working on my Samurai in shop class. Though I didn't realize the severity of it until up at Bear Lake doing open water scuba cert... so I did 2-3 days of scuba training with my eye hurting like a mofo.. Then ran down to the Moran Eye Center to have it removed. Luckily I didn't need a drill, but they numbed it up, put dye in it, and flicked it out with a needle. I don't recommend it.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I've been pretty careful since getting PRK but this thread has my stomach in knots. I feel scared straight, again, to keep away from the safety squints.

Same here. My contacts used to catch all kinds of crap! I wore contacts for so long I didn't even know how badly camp fire smoke hurts haha. I just though people were being huge wusses.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I have to go out in the garage here in a bit and get to grinding on a project and I'm seriously considering shaving my eyebrows right now.

Maybe I'll just cover my face and head in duct tape.
Duct tape before or after the grinding? either way seems like it would be effective.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
In my garage I have both safety glasses and goggles. The safety glasses I use only when I'm working with something that, should it get in my eye, might cause me a slight inconvenience. Any time I use my cutoff wheel, however, I go straight for the goggles... every time.

They don't call it a Death Wheel for no reason. I don't play fast and loose with my vision. None of you should, either.

Tonkaman

We see injuries like this frequently at work. Almost always it’s debris accumulation on top of the glasses or eyebrows.

Get a good quality grinding shield that covers your head or wear a welders cap with it.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Duct tape before or after the grinding? either way seems like it would be effective.

If I duct tape before the grinding I won't have to worry about shaving the eyebrows...

No but for real, this thread has me thinking I need more PPE. I use a safety glasses and sometimes a chintzy little face shield but I'm gonne splurg for something better real soon here. I like that one @Greg linked.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
If I duct tape before the grinding I won't have to worry about shaving the eyebrows...

No but for real, this thread has me thinking I need more PPE. I use a safety glasses and sometimes a chintzy little face shield but I'm gonne splurg for something better real soon here. I like that one @Greg linked.
My son's fancy lectric welderin hood has a switch marked "Weld/Grind". It's pretty good at protectin yo neck. Face too! I will admit that it's annoying when you go to weld something and forget to flip that switch from the grind setting. 😬

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
My son's fancy lectric welderin hood has a switch marked "Weld/Grind". It's pretty good at protectin yo neck. Face too! I will admit that it's annoying when you go to weld something and forget to flip that switch from the grind setting. 😬

My old hat had that switch on the outside and it was nice. The new one has the switch on the inside and is much less convenient.

RockChucker

Yep. I’ve had crap dug out of my eye twice. The first time I know was a bank shot. The 2nd I think was something that fell in from my eyebrows or something. Neither time required a drill. Maybe the doc I visited has different methodologies? She used a hypodermic needle and scraped all the rust out. Weird feeling with a numb eye when all of a sudden it would move and I’d see “double” since my eyes weren’t focused on the same thing. Since then I’ve made 2 major changes. After the first one I always wear a face shield in addition to safety glasses when using a grinder. That also came from a photo I saw of a guy around the first incident I had that had pieces of a cut off wheel embedded in his face when it exploded. Yikes. The 2nd change I made was minimizing the usage of cutoff wheels. I reach for the portaband or sawzall whenever it will work. And often they are faster than a cutoff wheel and the portaband is definitely quieter.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks

Whats worse than forgetting to flip the switch is being dumb and replacing the batteries, burning your eyes again, then realizing you just threw away good batteries.

The 2nd change I made was minimizing the usage of cutoff wheels. I reach for the portaband or sawzall whenever it will work. And often they are faster than a cutoff wheel and the portaband is definitely quieter.

I have been meaning to buy a Portaband for a year or 10. Looks like it just made a couple steps up the priority list. Babe, I don't want to lose my sight and never see your beautiful face again, so I had to buy this tool. Sounds like a passable argument.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I have been meaning to buy a Portaband for a year or 10. Looks like it just made a couple steps up the priority list. Babe, I don't want to lose my sight and never see your beautiful face again, so I had to buy this tool. Sounds like a passable argument.

I bought a Bauer (Harbor Freight) portaband because it was on sale for $99 or something stupid like that. I expected a throw-away tool to get me through one project, but I've been really impressed with it. I can't believe I went without one for so long. (but that's when I thought they were a $400 tool, not a $100 one ;) )

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
Same here. My $100 HF Portband has been going strong for close to a decade now. The only problem I’ve had was the low/high switch failed early on. I just bypassed the switch to low speed and never had an issue. I only run Milwaukee blades because they last forever.

I bought a Bauer (Harbor Freight) portaband because it was on sale for $99 or something stupid like that. I expected a throw-away tool to get me through one project, but I've been really impressed with it. I can't believe I went without one for so long. (but that's when I thought they were a $400 tool, not a $100 one ;) )