My Next Project: 1965 Sunbeam Alpine

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
So I sent a message to Andy (I always copy John as well) asking for another update yesterday. He, of course, didn't respond to me. A few minutes later I got a text from John with a forwarded message from Andy saying he was in the process of putting the top back on and that it would be ready tomorrow (today). I was getting into my truck to head home from work when I got that one. So I decided to drive by his shop to see if I could get in.

I pulled in and actually parked at the business next to his. I sent Andy another text saying I'd like to come by and see the car since he was at the shop. No response. At this point I see a large mechanics truck pulling out of the storage facility part of his shop. I back out of my parking spot and drive over to him. I was able to get him to talk to me and asked if he knew if Andy was inside. He told me he was. I thanked him and then parked in a spot in front of his shop. I sent another text to Andy telling him I was there.

A minute later he responds that he is not there. That he is picking up parts. I respond that his buddy just told me he was in there. A minute later another guy pulls up in a Jeep to go into the storage area. I asked him if he knew if Andy was inside. He said he just talked to him and he was inside. He then told me the lock to the gate was broken and that a locksmith was on his way. I guess he assumed I was trying to get into the storage area. I sent another message to Andy saying I just talked to another guy who said he was inside the shop. I asked him again to let me see the car. Nothing.

A few minutes later a black nissan pickup pulls in and parks. I recognize this truck as the one that Carl and I saw a while back. That time he pulled in to the parking lot, saw us and stopped, then made a phone call and then turned around and left. We were mad that we didn't try to talk to that guy then. So this time when I saw him I jumped out of my truck as he was unlocking the front door. I tried to just follow him into the shop, but he quickly pulled the door closed behind him. As it was closing I said I need to see Andy. I told him my car was inside and I needed to see it. He said he would go in and talk to Andy then come get me. He closed the door, leaving me out. I got back in the truck.

A minute later the locksmith showed up and tried to get into the shop. I rolled my window down to tell him they wont let me in so they probably won't let him in either. He walked over to me to start a conversation. My phone started ringing. It was Andy. He was mad! He just start going off on me. I quickly put the phone on speaker so the locksmith could hear it too. I wish I could have recorded that phone call. The look on the locksmith's face was priceless. He was pretty surprised with all the F bombs and other names Andy was calling me. Once he saw me laughing a bit he also started laughing. We just listened. I kept my cool. No need not to. Once he wrapped up I just told him I'd like to see the car. He refused. I said just to let me see it for 30 seconds so I can tell John it's still there. He told me it will be done tomorrow (today) and I can see it then. I told him it's illegal to refuse to allow a customer to see his car. He asked if I was going to call the cops. I told him I didn't want to.
He then said by 3:30 tomorrow (today) he would have it done and will send a walk around video to John and then discuss the bill with him. After that I can pick it up.

He hung up on me and then right away the locksmiths phone rang. It was Andy calling him. He walked over and got back in his truck and just sat there. We both sat in our trucks for about 10 minutes. I realized that Andy wasn't going to work with the locksmith until I left. So I did.

I noticed he has a brand new sign in the window of the front door saying the "owner is always armed" and "nothing inside is worth dying for". I don't know if that is just a scare tactic or if he is really carrying now. I'm about as non confrontational as they come, and can't imagine needing to be worried about a gun issue tonight. (And no, I don't even own a gun.) I also know that there will be a conversation about money with John tonight that I'm sure will get ugly. But I have got to get that car out of there. I know I can make an appointment with the local PD and have an officer go with me. Is that over the top? Maybe I'm making too big a deal of all this?

Andy kept saying the car has to go today as he has more cars coming in. I wish so much that I could find out who those new customers are and warn them. I don't consider myself vingful, but I really feel like I need to take steps to shut him down. To prevent this mess from happening to someone else.

Stay tuned for tomorrow's update. I'm sure it will be exciting! :D

Edit: I forgot to mention, in our phone call last night, he said the only reason the car won't be done today is if his mother dies!

Last edited:

pELYgroso

'Merica
I would 100% schedule to have an officer with you tomorrow. That way, you'll have one to help avoid any drama when he releases the car, or you'll have one to help remove the car if he is still refusing. I would contact an officer and explain everything to him and have John give the go-ahead if necessary. Do you know any officers? What city is he in? I have a neighbor that's a detective for the Unified PD. He'd probably love to go if he's not busy. Also, I agree that you should do everything in your power to shut this guy down so he can't do this to anybody else. It's easy to look up his business license. If he is asking John to make the check out to his name, that screams tax fraud, especially if you can find out that his business is an LLC, and you can report him.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
The cop would go as a "keep the peace" but if the dude doesn't open the door then there is nothing to keep the peace for. The cop won't demand that the guy opens up the shop. I understand that the whole deal is messed up but a cops hands are tied pretty tight in this type of situation. @UNSTUCK entered into a contract with this dude to perform X work, if there is an issue with that contract (there absolutely is) he'd need to go through the civil court to get it sorted out.

"But he has signs posted saying he is always armed..." Doesn't matter, he hasn't threatened anyone. Still doesn't give LE a reason to force him to open the shop.

I'm not saying don't call the police, I'm just trying to temper expectations of what a cop may be willing to do. Still though, good luck and I hope to see some awesome pics of the vehicle here sooner rather than later.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Sorry if it wasn't clear. This all happened between 3 and 4pm yesterday. He is promising a walk around video to send to John at 330pm today. After the video, they will settle the bill and I will take delivery. Once I have it at my place John will jump on the next airplane up here.

The shop is in West Jordan. 7000 S and 4800ish west. I spoke to west jordan police a while back about going in with me. They said they will do it, but really only to keep the peace. They can't make him give me the car. I expected that. If your neighbor is willing and can work in west jordan I'd love to have him come with me. Having some form of a connection with the officer could only be in my benefit. If you wouldn't mind talking to him for me and getting him up to speed that would be great. Then have him call me. 8o19189784 (Josh).

I have researched all of his businesses. There are at least 5 that I know of. The one on his front door and that he calls himself right now has an expired business license... since 2015. He has another business listed to the same address that is currently active. It is in no way related to his upholstery/auto repair business and that has West Jordan just about begging me to give them the owners info and address. I guess they are very picky about the type of business on a specific license and automotive repair takes a very special license due to the potential hazardous materials that could be on site.
I also filled out an IRS "information referral" form that I will send in after I have the car. I informed them of the cash he demands with no invoices or receipts given (he did let John take a picture of him holding $5k that John gave him one time). I also printed up the Utah Automotive Repair Act and went through it highlighting all the areas I feel he has violated (I have no idea if this Act is even enforced or what to do about this part).

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous
I feel bad for you. This is messed up. I agree that after you get the car do everything in your power to shut him down. Sounds like you already have some ammo for that to happen or start.

pELYgroso

'Merica
Sorry if it wasn't clear. This all happened between 3 and 4pm yesterday. He is promising a walk around video to send to John at 330pm today. After the video, they will settle the bill and I will take delivery. Once I have it at my place John will jump on the next airplane up here.

The shop is in West Jordan. 7000 S and 4800ish west. I spoke to west jordan police a while back about going in with me. They said they will do it, but really only to keep the peace. They can't make him give me the car. I expected that. If your neighbor is willing and can work in west jordan I'd love to have him come with me. Having some form of a connection with the officer could only be in my benefit. If you wouldn't mind talking to him for me and getting him up to speed that would be great. Then have him call me. 8o19189784 (Josh).

I have researched all of his businesses. There are at least 5 that I know of. The one on his front door and that he calls himself right now has an expired business license... since 2015. He has another business listed to the same address that is currently active. It is in no way related to his upholstery/auto repair business and that has West Jordan just about begging me to give them the owners info and address. I guess they are very picky about the type of business on a specific license and automotive repair takes a very special license due to the potential hazardous materials that could be on site.
I also filled out an IRS "information referral" form that I will send in after I have the car. I informed them of the cash he demands with no invoices or receipts given (he did let John take a picture of him holding $5k that John gave him one time). I also printed up the Utah Automotive Repair Act and went through it highlighting all the areas I feel he has violated (I have no idea if this Act is even enforced or what to do about this part).
Nice, it sounds like you're all prepared. Fingers crossed for tomorrow!

RustEoldtrux

RustEoldtrux
If I had a similar situation, I would hire a good lawyer before making any more attempts to get the car back. Your posts in this thread should be useful in showing the history of this fiasco.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
The Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) have investigators...read cops... that would and do investigate that kind of thing. Their bread and butter are chop shops and car theft rings and whatnot but in my experience they are pretty ruthless about dealing with dirtbags. It seems like they were always at narc search warrants when I helped out with some of those with Murray. If you think think there are violations and have a way to show them I'd call them before WJ. The business license stuff would be a code enforcement thing.

J-mobzz

Forget bringing the police, hire some goons that aren't scared to rough the guy up a little bit!
I volunteer! We’re talking about a guy that doesn’t have the balls to talk to you in person I don’t care what kind of gun he carries he doesn’t have the balls to pull it out on a guy like me let alone use it.

iamjimbrady

I really hate the media, but....this is something that one of those "Get Jesse" type news investigators would just love to get involved in. After you have the car let them hassle the tool bag, they'll follow him around with their big camera and microphone pointed at him. Talk about gettin the word out quick.