Jeep Nathan and Tanja's 99 XJ Build up

thenag

I noticed your block has the bearing cap girdle. In the process of reshaping the oil pan you might consider increasing the clearance for the girdle on the shallow end of the oil pan. In order for your girdle to be clear of the longer stroke crank you'll need to add spacers (hardened washers) between the girdle and the bearing cap bolt tops. The spacers allow you to keep the girdle out of the way of the crank but it causes the girdle to hit the oil pan. Modifying the shallow end of the oil pan a bit for clearance will let you keep the girdle.

I will be keeping the girdle. Some people seem to say you need 2 hardened washers per bolt, others just one. Others say if you take off most of the balancing pad you don't need any washers. (if my rotating assembly wasn't already balanced I would get them to take a lot off just for that reason).

One thing I can't figure out is why the girdle can't be modified. To me it looks like a quick cut on the girdle will make the required clearance. But if I have to "heat and beat" the pan I will.

Of course I am still looking for someone with good welding skills to weld up a pan so yeah... anyone anyone...

Nathan

nectarxj

One thing I can't figure out is why the girdle can't be modified. To me it looks like a quick cut on the girdle will make the required clearance.

I have seen some write-ups online where the girdle was cut or shaved to allow the crank to clear. I asked the machinist that build my stroker about that and he said this particular girdle needs all the thickness it can get. Compared to other engines this girdle sticks way out and is already pretty thin. His thoughts were that shaving it might allow it to flex a bit which would defeat the purpose that Chrysler had in mind for the girdle (NVH refinement). He showed me several girdles from other engines (the shop is basically a massive pile of engine blocks and internal parts) and most other girdles are beefier than the Jeep 4.0 girdle, from little 4 bangers to large diesels. Search Google images for "engine girdle" and you'll see what I mean.

if I have to "heat and beat" the pan I will.

I'll probably end up going this route, carefully though. I hear the thing to be mindful of is to not bend up the rest of the pan. With all the pounding it can pull on and bend the sides and possibly skew the gasket surface which could mean oil leaks. :(

thenag

Well I got my block back from Clegg. I have pretty much everything I need to put together a long block... except a head... Clegg doesn't have any, they say they should be getting some in. my Junk yard motor was a 2000 with the 0331 head so I didn't want that one even if it wasn't cracked.

Anyway the first thing I needed to do was to get the oil pan figured out. I had to make sure the bearing cap girdle would clear the connecting rods and not hit the pan, and then I needed to cut the oil pan so I could get it MikeGyver to weld it back together. So that required installing the crank, cam, and pistons.

Lets see what I have for pics...

IMAG0015.jpg

Bearing girdle with one hardened steel washer on each stud, plenty of clearance

IMAG0019.jpg

However the front of the girdle hit the front of the pan (as expected). So I replaced the first 2 hardened washers with grade 8. (I measured them, hopefully I come back and edit this post with the measurements). I still had over .04 clearance between the connecting rod and the girdle, which hopefully is enough. I then coated the front of the girdle with copper anti-seize (why copper anti-seize... I am not sure but it worked) and installed the pan.

*edit* The hardened washers I used are .130 and the grade 8 washers are .078

IMAG0023.jpg

and

DOH! still hits

IMAG0024.jpg

So I fired up the plasma cutter...

IMAG0025.jpg

IMAG0026.jpg

Success!

IMAG0027.jpg

So for my situation I added one hardened steel washer on the 2-7 studs and one grade 8 washer on the front 2 studs, and cut about 1/8-1/4 off the front of the girdle. So I didn't have to beat up my oil pan... at least to clear the girdle... ;)

Last edited:

thenag

As I have done so many times with this xj I have purchased a brand new part and hacked it up before even installing it.

Shinny new oil pan, meet Mr. DeWalt
IMAG0029.jpg

So I fired up the plasma cutter and made this patch for the hole, hopefully it is close enough for MikeGyver to use, otherwise he will have to make his own patch for me.

IMAG0030.jpg

IMAG0031.jpg

IMAG0032.jpg

This mod is too get a little more clearance for my exhaust down pipe. I used a new oil pan to make it easier to weld.

Last edited:

nectarxj

Lookin' good!

With the reduced size of the oil pan do you think you'll need slightly less than 6 quarts of oil to be measure "full" on the dip stick? ...maybe it looks more drastic in the pics than in person?

XJEEPER

Lookin' good!

With the reduced size of the oil pan do you think you'll need slightly less than 6 quarts of oil to be measure "full" on the dip stick? ...maybe it looks more drastic in the pics than in person?

I've always run a Ford style PH8 (Fram or equivelent) filter on my 2000XJ, which provides approx double the filtration surface area over the stock size filter, plus about another pint of oil volume......FWIW.

thenag

I've always run a Ford style PH8 (Fram or equivelent) filter on my 2000XJ, which provides approx double the filtration surface area over the stock size filter, plus about another pint of oil volume......FWIW.

Motorcraft FL-1A. I have that filter number memorized and have always run it as well. Cheaper than the Mopar too.

Lookin' good!

I filled the new pan with 6 quarts of water and figured out where the oil level is stock. So after the patch is welded in I will be able to measure how much less fluid it holds.

Nathan

thenag

Man this stroker is slow going (for me) it feels like this is taking longer than the initial build.

I took my Jeep and had it put on a chassis dyno.

I took it to a diesel shop since I knew they could handle the big tires. However I think maybe I should have taken it to a place that actually sees a gas engine once in a while.

My jeep; 1999 xj 4.0 (with 200,000 miles) ax15, np231/d300, gm 14bolt, 37 inch goodyears...

107 RW HP.

Guy at the diesel shop said with the big drive train it could be up to 30% power loss. 20% loss would be 128hp, 30% would be 139hp. Jeep claims it got 190hp from the factory. I will also be doing a compression test at some point to add a bit more info into this picture.

Last edited:

thenag

Back to the oil pan mods.

If you ever need a robot to do some welding, contact MikeGyver.

A couple pics of the welds (pictures do not do it justice, it is incredible)

IMAG0025.jpg

IMAG0026.jpg

As for the debate on how much capacity I have lost. It is about 8oz, so 1/2 a pint. Since I use a FL-1A filter that holds a little more than the mopar filter I am not going to worry about it.

Also I took pictures and made a mark of the un-modified pan with 6 qts in it. I then filled it again and with 6 qts in the modified pan the level went up less than 1/4 inch so the loss of capacity is not significant and I am still going to run 6 qts of oil.

Un-modified pic with 6 qts
IMAG0011.jpg

Modified pic with 6qts (you can see my little white mark just barley under water)
IMAG0027.jpg

Last edited:

thenag

Spark Plugs;

So I keep reading that "you should run 1 step colder spark plug" with the stroker.

but didn't really find a part number that seemed reliable.

I found a heck of a .pdf from Bosch that listed all their plugs with the various numbers. Looks like autozone etc recommends the Bosch 6725 Platinum plug. The Bosch PN is FR8LPP302X This has a 14mm thread, 3/4" reach and a 5/8 Hex "Extended Tip". Bosch makes dozens of plugs with the same physical specs. The "8" in the full part number is the "heat range" so "one colder" would be a "7". The closest I could find was FR7LPP30X or 6719.

Hopefully these will work great.

IMAG0028.jpg

Next up button up the bottom end, and I guess I either need to find a head or start pulling my motor to use the head that is in the jeep.

Last edited:

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
From everything I've read and seen you'll see much more than a 30% parasitic loss. 30% loss is what you should expect stock in a car.
Doublers, huge tires, big axles, and LOTS of miles change things ;)

thenag

So I still don't have a head. Tear a part has a few, I just need to brave the sub-freezing temps this weekend to go get one or two and hope that they are not warped.

I torqued down the bottom end and installed the timing gear.

IMAG0030.jpg

IMAG0029.jpg

My FSM mentions a "Crankshaft Oil Slinger" that I swear was not in there when I took it apart. I guess it deflects oil from the seal on the harmonic balancer and helps keep it from leaking. My concern is that it will affect where the balancer sits so if it is not right my v-belt might be slightly out of line. I am going to ask Clegg about it. It is a $2.00 part that can be found pretty easy online.

For the covers I went with what dupli-color claims is "Chrysler Industrial Red" (I am going black on the block/head) I don't have a good spare valve cover around so no red valve cover yet.

IMAG0031.jpg
IMAG0032.jpg

Last edited:

thenag

So on Sat, 12/26 when it was 25 degrees out, I pulled a cylinder head from tear a part. It is a 0630 casting, the same as the one in my jeep. And Clegg says it is not warped or cracked. So they are working on a head with LS1 valves for me. It was too friggen cold to take pics of any of that. I did manage to snag a nice valve cover so I will get that painted soon.

In the mean time I made a sweet oil pump priming tool. I put it in its own thread here;
http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?110030-DIY-oil-priming-tool-for-Jeep-4-0L&p=1048359#post1048359

IMAG0036(1).jpg

I also ordered that "crankshaft oil slinger" and some other parts. Unfortunately I forgot to check where the place was that ordered them from so it will take more than a week for them to get here. (yes I could have found a west coast place with all parts but I had to pick a place in Florida...)

Nathan

thenag

So I didn’t really do updates as I completed the Stroker build/install. Also you really don’t need pictures and description of how to pull and install a motor, there is plenty of info out there. I will detail some things I ran into that slowed me down, so hopefully you will be better prepared for them if you are doing a similar project.

Motor getting ready to come out. I didn’t pull my hood, with my gas props it pushes the hood up pretty high. I only bumped into it while installing the motor, with my engine leveler it worked out fine. I also didn’t pull the bumper, although if the bumper was out of the way the A/C condenser might go in front of the bulkhead so you wouldn’t have to lift the motor over the A/C condenser. I did let all the air out my front tires to lower the jeep some. I figured I had enough garage height and tall enough hoist that I didn’t need to pull the tires off completely.

IMG_20160111_182600.jpg

IMG_20160111_182606.jpg

So have you heard of the top two bell housing bolts on an xj? Yeah I hadn’t looked into them. From the factory they are E-12 bolts that are impossible to get to. Oh the joys of uni-body. Fortunately for me my father-in-law put a clutch in this xj several years ago and he used grade 8 bolts instead of the OEM E-12’s. However they are still impossible to get to. You can see one of them just to the left and bellow of the spark plug in this picture. (the driver side one… forget about it…) Just to out do my father-in-law I installed it with a pair of 3/8 studs. I figure the stud sticking out will help align the socket if I ever have to pull it apart again.

IMG_20160112_085339.jpg

So I searched around and the answer is take the tranny out with the motor or lower the motor/tranny/t-case to get access. Of course lower the motor requires removing the motor mounts and for me two t-case cross members (oh and how could I forget the belly skid plate)

Anyway (4 hours later...) I was able to lower the motor/tranny/t-case about 4 inches, the manifold basically hit the steering shaft.

IMG_20160112_085358.jpg

You can see on the right side of this pic the 2, ½ holes, one bolt goes through those two holes, so that shows how low my t-case is, about 4 inches.

IMG_20160112_085411.jpg

Here was my “weapon” to get the top bell housing bolts, I used a 3/8 14mm socket (it is a little more snug than a 9/16) a wobble, and a few extensions, a breaker bar to bust it loose, and a ½ drive to get it out.

IMG_20160112_093107.jpg

Ok so since this motor should have 20% more power than stock I wanted to replace any fastener than should be replaced. I could not find replacement pressure plate bolts (clutch cover bolts) I kept coming across this Mr. Gasket #910 as being suitable. So I ordered a set. Here is a pic next to OEM

IMG_20160112_141509.jpg

Notice the shoulder is a little longer. I bolted one into the flywheel without the clutch disk in place. When the bolt bottomed out I could easily slide the washer in from the side.

IMG_20160113_185054.jpg

It is possible that since my flywheel was not new that a new flywheel may be thick enough that the bolt would clamp down but it wasn’t going to work for me.

So I took a trip to Marshall’s Industrial Hardware here in SL. If you are in the SL area and have not ever been to Marshall’s Industrial Hardware you need to go, it will become one of your favorite places. I picked up 6 hardened 3/8 Flange bolts.

IMG_20160113_185202.jpg

IMG_20160113_185146.jpg

The bolt flange has more surface area than OEM so should clamp down great. There is no bolt shoulder but I like the idea of more bolt head surface area.

Last edited:

thenag

I went to a Jeep dealer to buy flywheel bolts… and they are on a national back order…

So I “had to” order some ARP high performance bolts

IMG_20160113_183912.jpg

As I was taking apart my old motor I remembered that I had to grind a bit of my block and timing cover to clear my bigger ZJ alternator. Here is what had to be ground off.

IMG_20160113_153656.jpg

Onto the pilot bearing. Of course it is cleary written on the jeep strokers forum that you will need a different pilot bearing, they even list the OEM part numbers for every combo. What I couldn’t directly find was an application for the OEM part number. So after some searching I was scratching my head because it looked like I needed a pilot bearing that would fit a 2008 Jeep Liberty. I didn’t know they made a 2008 Jeep Liberty with a manual transmission, or why that part would mate a crank from the 80’s and a transmission from the 90’s. So I went to Napa and got FC69907. It seems to work great.

IMG_20160113_183821.jpg

Obligatory picture of empty engine bay...

IMG_20160112_114253.jpg

Motor almost in

IMG_20160114_143304.jpg

IMG_20160114_143311.jpg

Engine installed
IMG_20160117_142138.jpg

A shot of the exhaust pipe clearance with modified pan.
IMG_20160117_142159.jpg

IMG_20160117_142204.jpg

On the cam break in(run for 20 minutes at 1500-3000rpm); I didn’t have my VSS plug secured well enough and I melted my VSS wiring extension. Due to the location/orientation of my d300 I had modified (a brand new) VSS so that the plug was not on the VSS. So since I failed to install one zip-tie I had to redo my VSS mod.

IMG_20160116_095149.jpg

The only other issue I had was that when I was changing the oil filter after the cam break in, I managed to ark the oil filter on the starter wire and burn a hole through the loose filter. The wire may be in a different orientation than it was before but I don’t have any cover over the terminal on the starter. (I will be installing a piece of heater hose and some zip-ties on it so I don’t do it again)

I am going to get a different style of fuel injector adapter, the ones I have don’t firmly clip into the Jeep harness, I don’t know that they will wiggle loose, they also extend the connector making things un-necessarily tight near the fuel rail.
Something like this, hopefully not as expensive;
http://fuelinjectorclinic.com/PADPUtoJ6S

Overall I feel that Clegg Machine did a good job. It took so long simply because they didn’t have any 4.0 heads in to build for me. When they actually had stuff to work on it took about a week for them to turn it around to me. I also purchased my crank way back in Novemeber since Clegg said that Scat was out of them and the cranks were going to be on back order. I paid for the “Stage 2 performance head” with the (bigger than OEM) LS1 valves and porting the ports. Most people say that valves and porting is where the power is.

I only have a few miles on the stroker so the PCM is still learning and I am not supposed to really beat it yet. It does feel a bit quicker, like I get to 3rd gear sooner than I used to. After the 3rd startup I think I noticed more power. I will get it dyno-ed after a few hundred miles so we can have some hard numbers.

Last edited:

thenag

I have yet to Dyno the motor but the PCM is learning it. I also got the exhaust done. Motor really likes the none crunched exhaust.
I love Mr. Muffler, Ceser, he seems to enjoy the challenge of no friggin room for exhaust.
Remember this is what it was; the d60 yoke will get into the down pipe.
modIMAG0018.jpg

After having MikeGyver modify an oil pan, this is what Cesar was able to do. Look at the relation of the pipe to the bellhousing bolt.

IMG_20160303_154549.jpg

Exhaust is hard to take pictures of since you really need to see everything in space to see what is going on, but here are a few more pics;

IMG_20160303_154508.jpg

IMG_20160303_154645.jpg

going to snakes on Saturday 3/5, pre-pre moab shakedown run

Nathan

*NOTE... THIS EXHAUST ENDED UP HEATING UP THE OIL PAN AND WAS TOO RESTRICTIVE, READ ON FOR IMPROVEMENTS*

Last edited: