Off road/Utility trailer build

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I see you ran the receiver tube out the back, plans to tow doubles :D

Come on Kurt. If Brian ever finds himself near Jeeps, that rear receiver on the trailer very well could be the Jeep's life-line off of a trail.

[YOUTUBE]opUU9H5FSbQ[/YOUTUBE]

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Brian, one thing that i've noticed through years of watching Kurt manuever and navigate his trailer, is that he utilizes the jack-knife technique frequently.. Turning around, tight spots, even just setting up camp in that position to free up the rear of the 40.

In looking at your trailer's tongue, a jack-knife manuever might not be doable with the lack of a single beam tongue, let alone the addition of the front basket. Did you consider such a trick? I assume it wouldn't be too difficult to adjust if you found the design to be a hinderance, but I was just curious if you'd thought much about the manueverability once it's mobile.

Anyways.. Very cool, and i'm stoked to see this in person finished.

-Jason

Brian P

Misanthropic Fuel
Thanks all.
Jason I have thought about that, The tongue was 4 feet long, Then I added the triangular pieces which allows me almost 2.5 feet, I will see how long the Max Coupler is going to be, Plus the receiver hitch, It may be close when jack-knifing.
I'm not sold on the basket at the moment, It was a bunch of scrap we had lying around the shop, I thought I would put something together, I like the idea, I just don't think I have executed what I wanted quite yet...

Brian P

Misanthropic Fuel
My Max Coupler arrived today!

4679688384_e727b71c3b_b.jpg

And I just got back from picking up some fenders.

Brian P

Misanthropic Fuel
What a cool idea. I was thinking something along the lines of a penal hitch. I had no idea these kind of hitches even existed.

LT.

Yup, It has a patent pending tag on one side.

Welp, Here are tonight's pic's.

4681302122_e55d282090_b.jpg

I'm not thrilled about the round fenders, But I couldn't find any squared type that would fit a 33" tire locally.

I added some steps, As you can imagine they will help getting in and out on the side and hopefully they will add a bit of protection.

4681299662_b5c98d0c59_b.jpg

4681309734_003dd34d11_b.jpg

Definitely need some fender flairs.

4681304292_a785b38684_b.jpg

Of course the Max Coupler installed.

4680673967_dac644c721_b.jpg

along with some new safety chains.

Brian P

Misanthropic Fuel
Not much to post up other than I made some tail light brackets, Did more grinding, Getting it ready for sanding or sand blasting so I can paint.
I did however pull it around the block to see how it towed, Seemed to do great! I jack-knifed it at the school and I had about 4 inches of room between the bumper and trailer frame at what I could tell was 90deg. without the basket on.
I'm going to call around to see what sandblasting is going to cost and if they would be willing to primer it.
Have fun
I will keep you posted ;)

Brian P

Misanthropic Fuel
Reenactment, WITH basket...

4710397033_6bf8710dab_b.jpg

4710398835_365d880d72_b.jpg

4711040078_c8c245877d_b.jpg

Tail light bracket.

4710402313_2805a6b1b2_b.jpg

Also I have an appointment to have the trailer sand blasted and primed in a little over a week, est. $200.00 NICE!

Brian P

Misanthropic Fuel
Here is a pic of what I plan to use the front Basket for.

4728767247_8128b15820_b.jpg

Hopefully the next pic's I post will be of a blasted and primed trailer.

I forgot to add, I was in the middle of welding a couple of washers on the tongue where the pin goes through when I ran out of wire :(

My blast/primer appointment is tomorrow!
I'm all hooked up and awaiting a 6AM departure.

4738944429_72c34bde2d_b.jpg

They will need it for a few days.
Needless to say, My wife is happy to have her parking spot back, At least for a few days ;)

Brian P

Misanthropic Fuel
Thinking about the weight, When it is hooked up to the vehicle I can lift from the back enough to slide it over to straighten it out in the driveway, It will be interesting to see what it weighs in at, I have no idea where I would even go to weigh it?!?
Now don't get any crazy ideas, I'm only 5'10" 165lbs and by no means a weight lifter ;) Just an interesting observation.

Dominic

Roll to the city dump and use their scale. Drive in with the Cruiser w/ out trailer and then drive through with the trailer and do the math. The should be cool with it if you tell them whats up. Truck stops and port of entry's have scales too I believe.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
....or find someone with some race scales, the kind that go under each wheel. (or each wheel, and the tongue...) Depends on how accurate you want to be.

Brian P

Misanthropic Fuel
Cool, Thanks for the thoughts, I've been thinking, There is a chopped wood/coal seller on 3900 and about West Temple, Its on the way to work, I may stop in to see if they would allow me to weigh it.
Thanks again!

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
they will weigh it for free at the place next to wasatch... that is also called wasatch :D