Off road/Utility trailer build

Brian P

Misanthropic Fuel
I L O V E it!
Got it back at about 4pm today, It came in under bid at $150 for the blast and prime, I took it straight home behind the 80, Towed wonderful again.
I got to work on the wiring, I stopped by State trailer supply in WVC to see about one of the tail light converters, They had just what I needed for a cool $17.00 I wired it in and it worked perfectly! Then I got to a few other things I took off for the work to be done.
After the wiring I started in on the fender flare and mud flaps, Unfortunately I only got one side finished before it got too late.

4772978135_08b05f4864_b.jpg

4773619746_103af2c2ab_b.jpg

I drove it around the block and it feels great so far, I don't hear much noise at all, I even jack-knifed it at the school to see what it would do, I had more clearance than the FZJ80.
Now mind you, I'm taking this on the Relic Run so I don't really have time to paint it yet, Hopefully it wont see much water.

Its finally coming together :)

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
be sure to post some pix of it with all your gear in it.. curious to see what it looks like being used. I like this idea and want to build one to drag behind my WJ that im starting to build for expo use.

Brian P

Misanthropic Fuel
be sure to post some pix of it with all your gear in it.. curious to see what it looks like being used. I like this idea and want to build one to drag behind my WJ that im starting to build for expo use.

Here is us packed up and ready to depart for the future! (relic Run photo)

4788166782_8284eeb6e3_b.jpg

Kurt, Thanks!
I still have a bit of work to do.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
DO it!
It was a pleasure to camp with you and Lil-Davy this last weekend.

Well, I moved some stuff around today to pretend I was going to work on it.

Davy keeps asking when marley and max and mom marley and dad max get to go to pirate island

Brian P

Misanthropic Fuel
Well, I moved some stuff around today to pretend I was going to work on it.

Davy keeps asking when marley and max and mom marley and dad max get to go to pirate island

Do IT!
I hope we will be able to go to Pirate Island soon.

All, I am about to start on the lid to the trailer, Michelle had an idea about a domed top, I wasn't sold, But I bent a piece and I think it could work, The skin would be cake compared to what I had thought about building, Similar to the type Equipt sells, Here is a quickly bent up piece.

4839210479_d3e940a174_b.jpg

4839212129_99bd2140b3_b.jpg

The front and back would be flat, Unless I can build an angled front piece, You know for aerodynamics and all :silly:
I have an idea about a removable hinge system, But I would like to try a mock up first.
Thoughts?

Brian P

Misanthropic Fuel
Decided I should get crackin on the lid, Here are a few pic's of the work I have done the last few days.

After building the rectangle framework, I had to figure out how I was going to put some hinges on it, I decided the best way for me to go was to plaz out a hole and weld in the hinges.

4992107084_73d6f69e17.jpg

4991498439_91da39950d.jpg

4992110574_2b625a16d5.jpg

I've also finished bending all the roof arches, 6 total, I bent them with my HF tube bender.

4991505717_676e02b103.jpg

4991507449_5b0af213c5.jpg

I want to add a few bars running front to back to keep the arches in place, I'm thinking I will rivet the outed cover on this time rather than weld, I also need to figure out the tent mount, But thats another day.

Brian P

Misanthropic Fuel
Looking very good! Thanks for the Shawn ent. info. I have sent them some work and will be sending them some more soon. Very good prices. :D

Thanks!
I've used Shawn Ent. for about 6 years, They have done 2 auto frames 1 body and this trailer for me and always good on price and time frame.

Brian P

Misanthropic Fuel
After self medicating and finishing the "Walk with the Blind" this morning, I thought I would get sumthin sumthin done in the garage.
Mountain West paint had some of their store brand of chassis black paint for $25.00 a gallon so you know I couldn't pass that up!

viola

5023874833_19930af5fa.jpg

5023869567_36cf617630.jpg

5024481932_cba4bef715.jpg

I need to let it dry till tomorrow then I will get around to painting the top and fenders.

Last edited:

Brian P

Misanthropic Fuel
I got a little more finished today after a clogged drain in the kitchen, Where I needed to visit the crawl space...

5027931487_bf642d67d0.jpg

5028550612_2e9f4d519f.jpg

5027941029_7179f460a6.jpg

All the grayish parts, I'm hoping to paint the same color of blue as our FJ40, I masked some of it off and then wondered why... as I'm sure you can tell.