Shop / Tools Opportunity to learn/experience welding... Episode 1

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
I have little to offer the forum in terms of 4x4 acumen but I would like to reciprocate for all I have learned here.
I would like to give someone considering buying a welder, or for those who have a welder they have under used, a chance to spend some time with mine and few tips.
I do not claim to be proficient with my welding but I study in depth and can tell when my welds are good or not.
If you are good at this and want to help then I would appreciate assistance.

Processes offered: MIG, TIG, STICK, and Plasma cutting
Limitations:
  1. my MIG machine is well above the typical one for a back yard enthusiast. I'd really appreciate the use of a 120V flux core machine since I don't have one.
  2. this will be contingent upon my time,
  3. I've taught this to Scouts and have found that any more than two students at a time is too many, so first come first serve.
  4. I have two extra welding helmets so the participants need nothing.
  5. Barring a horrendous experience, this will be ongoing, so relax, I should do more of these
  6. If the metal is red, it's hot
  7. If the metal is not red, it's still hot...
  8. you will get burned by hot metal.. ( if you haven't at the end of the session let me know and I can fix that)
  9. ymmv

Last edited:

Tonkaman

Awesome idea! Is this a class for the complete newbie or for the guy that kinda welds and needs to learn technique? I'd love to learn but keep pushing it off for another day when I actually own a welder. Should I bother learning before I can even practice?

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Might have to take you up on this Eric, I took some welding classes years ago but I haven't glued anything together for the better part of a decade. I was actually getting ready to pull the trigger on another 120v (since I had to sell mine before I bought my house..... being super poor sucks). Getting ready to do a few things to the ole' Taco and figured about time I glue my own parts on again.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
Is this a class for the complete newbie or for the guy that kinda welds and needs to learn technique?

for someone who has never welded: this is a good way to experience welding.
for a guy that kind of welds: why not, but who is the teacher may be in question. Mig, I'm OK, Tig, I suck.

Should I bother learning before I can even practice?
in a sense, this may provide a push for someone considering buying a welder or not.
Kind of a try before you buy thing.

That, and the fact that melting steel together is fun.

Last edited:

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
So I'm going to roll out the invites as my schedule allows:

Open Invitation for 2 people: tomorrow, Wed, March 23, 2016, 6pm-ish.
other dates to follow

Last edited:

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
Great, Tonkaman,

I'll add, if anyone has a "small/trivial" welding project you need done and want to use as a demo then bring it.
No, we won't build your new bumper in this session (but talk to me), but bringing your own practice piece is appreciated, and all the better if it benefits you.

Tonkaman

I want to give a HUGE THANK YOU to Eric! He was a wealth of knowledge and was a great teacher. I've never really messed with welding at all so it was really nice having someone there to walk me through the tricky parts. I was fascinated by all the small tips and tricks he could offer since I'm sure it shaved weeks off of my learning curve.

Eric your one hell of a good guy. Thanks again for taking an evening and helping me to better myself. If you ever need anything I can help you with be sure to call in a favor.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
My pleasure and I enjoyed the evening.
I must say that one-on-one really works out for this type of thing and I'm ready to go again.

At this point, I'm just going to leave the invitation open so if anyone else wants to come over, just ask.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
Just a bump.
I'll expand this to anyone who has a bit of welding they need but not the equipment to do it.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I'll take you up on this. I have a small (I think it's small) project. I need to pick up the materials and then I'll reach out to you when I wrap up a project I am working on for someone else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
I am really interested in learning.. but the only times I would be free is friday night and all day sat/sun due to new work and school.

redrussell

Where are you at? I have a ho art handler 120(yes it's old). I bought it for $50 listed as "for parts" and have resurrected it. Wasn't that bad, guy was trying to use .035 wire with a .025 roller in it, he had grease all over inside it(like he tried to grease the roller assembly grease), gun was gone so I replaced it... Now I haven't welded in almost 7 years, would be nice for basically a redo on learning.