Shop / Tools Opportunity to learn/experience welding... Episode 1

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
How are you at teaching stick welding? I feel like I can lay some good bead with my wire, but I just can't figure out the stick. Between different stick options, metal differences, etc I just can't tune in.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
I am really interested in learning.. but the only times I would be free is friday night and all day sat/sun due to new work and school.

Sat. and Sun. are fine with me

How are you at teaching stick welding? I feel like I can lay some good bead with my wire, but I just can't figure out the stick. Between different stick options, metal differences, etc I just can't tune in.

I know the basics but it's been a pretty long time since I've done any.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Anyone have suggestions where to get some scrap to practice on? I recently ordered some sliders, and have gained access to a 110v welder. Would like to practice my booger welds again at least a little before I try to stick the sliders on. Been over a decade since I touched a welder.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I have scrap you can come take...most of it is in half-sheet skeletons from stuff I've cut, and you can chop it up into weldable chunks all you want. :)

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I've got a slew of scrap as well. Its smaller pieces most of which came off the ends of tube from my trailer build or left over stuff that I scrounged from other guys when I was trying to figure out how to weld a year ago. I'm really close to Carl so if you want to pick up some of my stuff too let me know.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Alright Eric I need to take you up on your offer now. I borrowed a little 110 but it just doesn't have the power to burn my sliders in. I've been practicing a bunch on the scrap I got from Carl, but I just can't get enough penetration no matter how I set the machine up. I can booger weld with the best of them, but am in need of some 220v help, or at least a 110 with more punch than this one. I know you need nights, I can do Wed Thur or Friday nights. I'm going to paint the sliders tomorrow, and hopefully get the frame prepped as well.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Are you running gas with your 110 welder? Consider running straight Co2 If you can swing it. It will burn a hotter Weld with that gas.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Are you running gas with your 110 welder? Consider running straight Co2 If you can swing it. It will burn a hotter Weld with that gas.

Running flux core. According to the welder it can't weld this thickness, and I can't multipass for crap

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Alright Eric I need to take you up on your offer now. I borrowed a little 110 but it just doesn't have the power to burn my sliders in. I've been practicing a bunch on the scrap I got from Carl, but I just can't get enough penetration no matter how I set the machine up. I can booger weld with the best of them, but am in need of some 220v help, or at least a 110 with more punch than this one. I know you need nights, I can do Wed Thur or Friday nights. I'm going to paint the sliders tomorrow, and hopefully get the frame prepped as well.

Are you sure it's not your setup? My 110 flux core machine has the grunt to weld 3/8ths if I set it up right, but not if my ground isn't solid or if I'm on a weak extension cord.

The Yota frame shouldn't be that thick, how thick are the sliders?

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Are you sure it's not your setup? My 110 flux core machine has the grunt to weld 3/8ths if I set it up right, but not if my ground isn't solid or if I'm on a weak extension cord.

The Yota frame shouldn't be that thick, how thick are the sliders?

I'm trying to burn 1/4 in, the machine says its only good for up to 3/16. I'm sure a large part of it is technique. I can get corner and butt joints to burn fine, but when i'm doing lap joints I can't keep the puddle going on the bottom piece. It will burn in the edge of the top piece fine, I just can't keep it hot enough on 1/4in

I'm ready, let's set up a time

Name it sir

Last edited:

RogueJeepr

Here!
This weekend is out for me but like Jeeper im another stick welder.
Id like to improve my underneath stick skills. I can weld good but underneath a car, its totally different. Almost drips on me .

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Thanks again for your help Eric, playing with a big boy welder and shielding gas makes all the difference.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Weather is getting pretty nice for a bit welding.

I have something I would love to bring you; I just don't know how soon I could get it up to you.

My trailer's bolt-on spare tire mount broke. Sure, I could buy some new pieces and bolt it back on, but I'm thinking about having it welded on in a different (hopefully more convenient) spot. This would involve welding 1/4" plate steel to 1/4" plate steel in a T junction. Can your equipment handle that?