Perfect trip to MOAB!!

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
We had a great time down in moab this weekend....Absolutely ZERO traffic, it was wonderful!! I hate crowded trails with a passion so everything was great.

We headed down with my zuk in tow behing my cherokee. My brother and his two buddies Jared (tan Exploder) and Cody...(tan....shoes)....and my brother greg, Grey stock samurai.

We camped at the bartlett wash on wednesday night at about 5AM after doing some extreme towing through some nasty stuff. We had fun on the bartlett slick rock on thursday morning. I went down a really fun series of waterfalls that a herd of mountain bikers were hucking off of(video is on the way) and flopped the zuk on the left side when my steering bound up and bent, I saved the total roll over by leg pressing the zuk with my left leg. I held it long enough for Jared to grab a tire and flop the rest of the way back so I could get back down. we had fun and decided to re-locate camp to just below poison spider mesa so as to be closer to town and the trails we intended to run.

that little flop bent the hell outta my steering, I was cranking on it so hard by hand, I was surprised that the rag joint didn't tear...
moabbentzlink.jpg

moabbentsteering.jpg

After we set up camp we decided to run PSM....which turned into golden spike....which turned into gold bar rim at about 1AM :). We took an explorer with stock drivetrain and 33s through the crack with nary a scratch, and a stock zuk through darn near without touching the bumper it was a HOOT getting those guys through, the explorer was the funnest having to transfer the flex from one corner to another by tipping the vehicle to the opposite side to regain traction!!

all those ledges grab springs bad
moabscratchedsprings.jpg

We headed back to camp that night and got ready for the next day.

We hit hell's revenge after a lazy slow morning and played on dump bump and the come down, I chickened out on dump bump after three tries, all of which could have sent me over...I was just getting warmed up and didn't want to go rubber up this early in the trip. I went up the come-down a couple of times and relished in the glory of a TRACTION bar that ANDY was so gracious as to help me install on wednesday night. IT WORKED GREAT!!!

We did hells revenge and we did some of the hot tubs.....some of those damned things are DEEEEEEPPPPP my zuk would have been inextricably stuck!!

I got up the first ledge on hells gate only to be rejected by the hole in the second climb. I flopped it like 3 times on the right side bending the top of my high lift severely. I flopped it over to the left side and called it quits, I don't think samurais are wide enough to make that second ledge, I got my tires up on top and then slid into the hole with my right or left rear every time!! oh well....
when I flopped on my right side, my high lift caught me and bent the top of the bracket...
moabhellsgateflop.jpg

We finished the trail and hit all the other tough obstacles. Tip over challenge was pretty fun and COVERED in sand. There were two trucks that blew stuff on this obstacle from other groups. One guy blew a shaft on a blazer 12 bolt and a ram charger blew a hub.....open diffed no less!!

we went back to town and did our shopping and eating then prepped for the next day.

We got up semi-early and met cody and friends at city market and decided to run behind the rocks and lower heldorado. behind the rocks was a hoot and I almost killed cody when my zuk slid off high dive trying an odd line.....CODY has some killer reflexes because any other person would have been zuki fodder!! We didn't get to do white knuckle or the others because our trail guide didn't take us out there......more motivation to return :)

We finished up, had a quick bite and headed out to the heldorados. This was my favorite trail of the weekend, plenty of fun obstacles...and you guessed it another flop. This was a nice full on flop over and bash on the drivers side. I was straddling a crack that I took a bad line on. I backed up and slid into it flopping me completely over....that was super fun, thanks for the helping hand all you guys that pushed me back over :)

just a little scratch
moabhelldoradoflop.jpg

we finished up the trail with a nice holler at wanker deluxe for almost rolling his stock zuk on a sick drop down on the side of the mountain....that was a little tense and then we walked up upper heldorado to check out the terrain......as it turns out we walked it up to the waterfall and back, then left unknowingly passing parker and ryan and the other boys from mount logan...they were right behind us and we didn't get to see them dammit!!

we headed back into town and called it a trip. we packed up and decided I was pressing my luck with my silly steering all bent to hell. we made great time on the way back and I got 15MPG towing the zuk back into ogden:eek:

it was a good trip and we have some cool video and pictures coming soon.....

Last edited:

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
Originally posted by Greg
Sweet! :D

So.... No pics of the Zuk on it's side??

here is the begnining....I am calling this obstacle "bad decision" and I get to call it that because I am the first wheeler to have gone down it.....upon installation of fuel injection I plan to be the first one to go up it....:) it is over on the bartlett slickrock area...
moabbaddecision.jpg

moabbaddecision2.jpg

Last edited:

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
Originally posted by brian
VERY NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek: :eek:......I HATE downhills!!!

it gets better....or worse....depending on your outlook...I flopped it over shortly after those pix above.....fun stuff

zukpress1.jpg

zukpress2.jpg

zukpress3.jpg

zukpress4.jpg

I was cranking on the steering wheel so hard I bent my drag link
moabbentzlink.jpg

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
I was initially shown this obstacle by a fellow club member....you have to cut up the side to the left because of a giant undercut ledge about 4 feet tall. in doing so you pitch to the right about 45 degrees and back about 35....it is total pucker because you have to crank it to your right hard to get off the sidehill and back on the flats without falling off the waterfall....then you have a nice long hill climb to get out.....with a large bump in the way

this first pic is from 2k2 october of larry getting a little overzealous with the gas pedal:)
larrygettinit.jpg

these three showcase it a little bit.....if we do an RME run this is a must!!
moabsickandwrong.jpg

moabsickandwrong2.jpg

moabsickandwrong3.jpg

Caleb

seeing those pics really makes me want to get my rig done...I watched Hammer Down today and then these...man I gotta get it done:D

Caleb

I was wondering why we hadn;t seen or heard form you at all this weekend...I can see your time was being well spent:D:p

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
here are some more pics from the crack. Wanker deluxe got his zuk through almost un-aided it just took a little spotting to get him lined up and some gas pedal to get traction down on the open diffed vehicle....I still remember watching video of our fearless board leader greg taking a stocker TJ through the crack.....:)

bystander: uh oh...we better get the strap
Greg: NO!!! I will get it through
bystander: ummm ok

I think that was some of the conversation :)

spikeexplorer1.jpg

spikeexplorer2.jpg

spikeexplorer3.jpg

spikeexplorer4.jpg

spikeexplorer5.jpg

that last picture is of wanker trying to counter balance the explorer :) extreme spotting at it's best because he is over 10 feet in the air :)
by this time it is about 11pm and we are tired but having a blast!!

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
hell's gate was my nemesis, I had seen that video of that poor TJ doing roll after roll down that thing and it scared the poop outta me!! I got used to it and subsequently flopped it three times twice to the right and once to the left all were driveable flops so I righted myself....I am just too narrow to fit through that area....
hellsgate1.jpg

hellsgate2.jpg

hellsgate3.jpg

hellsgate4.jpg

hellsgate5.jpg

hellsgate6.jpg

hellsgate7.jpg

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Nice! I'm too big of a wuss to do Escalator.....I see glass on the rock there.....(no worries on the hot tubs, or Hell's Gate and I'm dumb enough to do Tip Over Challenge with a little snow at the top.......)

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
It was good to meet you Spence. I'm glad you guys made it home safe.

Next time we'll do more than just walk upper helldorodo. I need high stear and hydro assist and a winch and I'm up for it.

we have some pics of you're flop in lower. when I get the pics I'll post em up for you.

Cody

Brett

Meat-Hippy
It was a great time down there. Glad to have met all of you that I already didn't know. I will post my pics this evening for you all to see. I have a bunch of good ones from the run on Behind the Rocks and Lower Helldorado, plus a bunch from Metal Masher.

Hope to see you all down there again soon or just around here.