Phatfoto --- The man of steel

phatfoto

Giver of bad advice
An update on myself. I rode a bike last summer in Performance Bike shops store. I still can't believe the emotions that provoked. I was on Lyrica until earlier this year for some of the nerve pain left over in my shoulder. It caused me to gain 60 pounds. I'm back on Gabbapentin in its place and have dropped half that gained weight. the rest is not going without a fight.

20 years ago, we came close to adopting a teenager and we just couldn't overcome all the hurdles. I was a rabid cyclist at the time, and of course we got him on a bike. Fast forward, 4 years ago he caught up with us on Facebook. He did time in the Army and earns a respectable living in Arizona at one of the electrical utilites. He has a family now, but still rides... He recently upgraded to a new bike and sent me his 4 year old 29er. Sometimes, you never quite know how you touch people over time...

Yeah still dirty from the previous owner's last ride. Toby built a cool ride and was kind enough to send it to me. Wouldn't even let me pay for the shipping. Nobody will ever know how deeply this touches me.

And, it rides nice. I will clean it and get it to fit me a bit better. Holy cow that seat is hard!!! First ride outside since my wreck. I never left my neighborhood, so maybe 1/3 mile total... But its a greater distance than sitting just looking at the bike...

I'm 4 days from my 3 year anniversary of my crash. I'm an emotional freak of nature right now. I have that first very short ride behind me. And now I can look forward to more. But I'm still racked with fear and believe that is going to be with me for some time to come. Every day is a gift, but comes with its own challenges.

phatfoto

Giver of bad advice
I know I mentioned before, I do know how lucky I was. I know a guy with a T9 dislocation this year, who will never walk again. That was an ugly car wreck with three killed. A friend of mine from California was hit last month in Texas on his bike. Last week in San Diego, a drunk driver plowed into a group of cyclists, injuring many, but paralyzing one. How many close calls, accidents and deaths just along the Wasatch Front this past year? Why would I want to ride again? Because I can. I still have that desire.

Physically, I can't complain. I get tired easy, and my back can bother me now and again. I use muscle relaxers, Baclofen, daily otherwise I still cramp. And I use Percocet rarely. A script lasts 3-4 months. I still have nerve issues in my shoulder and dropped Lyrica for Gabbapentin. You know when your foot falls asleep and you get the pins and needles feeling? Thats me on the meds. Without, is unbearable. But you know what? I still count myself as lucky. I can still do most of what I could before. Just takes me longer.

I do feel more fragile than I am. Its a very strange thing. My doc says not to worry, it would take the same force to hurt me as it would any of you. I asked about a weight limit for lifting. She suggested I keep weights under 1,000 pounds. And pretty much do want I want unless it hurts... But those fears step up to the plate and knock homers over the fence ALL the time. I catch one now and again, have tossed a few beaner pitches to let them know I'm not playing their game anymore. So we shall see.

Looking forward to longer rides again...

Yes. Me. About 24 years ago in Hawaii. About 200 miles a week at this picture.

1997, Hobart Tasmania. On a borrowed MTB. I carried a roadbike on the ship with me, on deployment I rode in Hong Kong (no fun, didn't ride long before taking the bike back to the ship!), Singapore, is AWESOME on a bike. Perth, Western Australia is too. Hobart was just plain fun. Of course, Hawaii, Acapulco, Seattle for shorter at sea periods...

just can't imagine NOT having a bike. Or not riding ever again...

phatfoto

Giver of bad advice
Last week, Scott Henderson crashed his MTB bike. Broke his right collar bone into 3 pieces, and a handful of ribs front and back. He had surgery Thursday, outpatient and is home recovering. Same day as Scott's surgery, my wife fell and broke her right collar bone as well. No surgery needed, yet. Will no more next week if the brace they put her in is all she needs.

So. I was looking for something else and came across this old thread. Getting older sucks. First. My back is fine. Seriously. Yes, I can make it hurt and be sore for the day, but a good night's sleep and all is fine. I rarely need more than Aleve to calm things down and I am still on muscle relaxers, but only as needed. I still have some nerve issues in my shoulder, up my neck into my face But tolerable enough I am off the meds for it. But my back is just fine...

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I've been fighting injuries and have had to change the way I do things and I will agree with you... getting older does suck. Sorry to hear about Scott, hope he heals up quickly and get back on his bike.

phatfoto

Giver of bad advice
I've been fighting injuries and have had to change the way I do things and I will agree with you... getting older does suck. Sorry to hear about Scott, hope he heals up quickly and get back on his bike.

Changing things, yes, well familiar with that. My left knee has been a great thing, I have more Range of Motion now than when I left therapy, approaching it's design limits. My other knee... Well. Had it scoped last summer, and gel injections recently. Doing a bit better but I can upset it. I had achilles tendon surgery in Dec. It was supposed be just shave a heel spur down. But it had cut 3/4 of the tendon. The doc drilled a hole n my heel for a new anchor and wove some kevlar into the tendon and I have been pain free since the surgery. Spent 6 weeks in a cast and boot... But. Can't keep me down. I'm 54 now. I have limits. But I ain't dead yet...

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Ain't a one of us getting any younger. It's a weird thing to run up against physical realities from time to time. But, it is what it is. So, a little slower, a lot more squishy suspension, and more protective gear I guess. :D Allons!!

The DOSS was supposed to be my summer riding partner, as he is just up the road from Summit, so after-work spins would be perfect. But he's jacked up pretty good for the duration, so, well-wishes and visits will do, and I'll just have to make sure to go anyway.

Last edited: