Price area trails in trouble

ID Bronco

I used Herzog's letter to send this.

I'm writing in concern for the recent RMP for the Price area. It has recently come to my knowledge that the rockcrawling trails which were indexed and submitted were cut from the final draft. I have also been told that many of the trail submissions have gone "missing" after they had been submitted. I feel the need to voice my opinion that this is completely unacceptable and that actions should be taken to set things right.

I have visited Price many times and have a trip planned for January. I look forward to visiting many more times, but without the inventoried rockcrawling trails available I will go elsewhere. I love these trails and ask you to remedy this by allowing the resubmission of "missing" trails and an addition of them to the RMP. My family, friends and I have always made responsible use of the BLM public lands for many years and we have always made it a priority to respect and clean up the areas that we recreate on as well as educate those who may not know better. I cannot believe that after all these years we are going to loose our access to many of the existing trails. I love the outdoors and ask you to allow some sort of consession for resubmission and addition of these trails to the RMP. Castle Country King Crawlers have the information needed to make this happen, and I hope you will allow them to incorperate these inventoried trails into the RMP.

Please reconsider.

Regards,

Scott

Address Info

Snake River Offroaders
Idaho State 4X4 Association

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I am jumping into this a little late, but the Price BLM "losing" data is nothing new. They have mysteriously lost a lot of trail data over the years that has pertained to full size down to single track. One thing that you have to make sure you do when submitting data to any office is to ask for a receipt showing they accepted something from you.

Scott, I will be in contact with you tomorrow regarding some information on where we need to go with this.

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
I sent mine in too

Like others I too am concerned about the RMP for the Price area. I realize that you juggle the needs of various land users, but it is frustrating to find out that final decisions are being made after documents that were submitted to the BLM went missing and were not given a proper, or any review. I am sure you are aware that many of these trails are well established, that off-road groups often take the time to make sure they are maintained and cleaned. They are used by families including my own, and now it sounds like many of those trails could be simply shut down because of internal errors within the BLM. I would hope that these mistakes can be taken into consideration.

great scott

I used Herzog's letter to send this.

I'm writing in concern for the recent RMP for the Price area. It has recently come to my knowledge that the rockcrawling trails which were indexed and submitted were cut from the final draft. I have also been told that many of the trail submissions have gone "missing" after they had been submitted. I feel the need to voice my opinion that this is completely unacceptable and that actions should be taken to set things right.

I have visited Price many times and have a trip planned for January. I look forward to visiting many more times, but without the inventoried rockcrawling trails available I will go elsewhere. I love these trails and ask you to remedy this by allowing the resubmission of "missing" trails and an addition of them to the RMP. My family, friends and I have always made responsible use of the BLM public lands for many years and we have always made it a priority to respect and clean up the areas that we recreate on as well as educate those who may not know better. I cannot believe that after all these years we are going to loose our access to many of the existing trails. I love the outdoors and ask you to allow some sort of consession for resubmission and addition of these trails to the RMP. Castle Country King Crawlers have the information needed to make this happen, and I hope you will allow them to incorperate these inventoried trails into the RMP.

Please reconsider.

Regards,

Scott

Address Info

Snake River Offroaders
Idaho State 4X4 Association

I like this letter, very well thought out.

great scott

I am jumping into this a little late, but the Price BLM "losing" data is nothing new. They have mysteriously lost a lot of trail data over the years that has pertained to full size down to single track. One thing that you have to make sure you do when submitting data to any office is to ask for a receipt showing they accepted something from you.

Scott, I will be in contact with you tomorrow regarding some information on where we need to go with this.

I assume this is about the lead you and AP brought to my attention yesterday. Mike from USA-ALL has contacted me with help on this also. I await your call. Thanks.

jet_aj

Just loosing my mind
I just wanted to add a quick note about the area and the trail system in price. We are hosting the U4 summer convention in price this year ... at least we are still hoping to be able to do so ... The BLM said we could "Possibly" still use some of these areas for this event, but will require us to get a permit for the event, which sucks royally. We are going to have to pay a minimum of $90 for the permit, and this still doesn't guarantee they will let us do anything. We will be submitting the required info for this event permit this month after club meeting on the 18th.
We are really going to need the support of anyone thats willing to fight this. Thanks everyone.

great scott

Update.
I have been talking to local experts on land use, along with Mike from USA-ALL. The plan of attack for the moment is to make some noise(keep sending comments & phone calls) and move up the food chain of the BLM ranks. Send your comments not just to the Price office but to the state office. Mike is going try and get us a meeting with the state director. jet_aj and myself are submitting trail descriptions and pictures of each trail to the local BLM. The chance of saving these trails is slim, but I am not ready to through in the towel just yet and we need your help.

great scott

2nd update of the day.
I have just met with the Price BLM and got a copy of the RMP map. I and jet_aj then met with the county land access coordinator. The county claims the BLM can not close any routes because a travel plan has never been agreed on, and thats why none of our trails are on the new map. I then called one of the local experts to get his take on the discrepancy. He feels there to be some truth on both sides and that combined with the fact that some of our data was lost can give us some leverage. So we are still moving forward and as such I encourage you to keep the comments flowing.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
2nd update of the day.
I have just met with the Price BLM and got a copy of the RMP map. I and jet_aj then met with the county land access coordinator. The county claims the BLM can not close any routes because a travel plan has never been agreed on, and thats why none of our trails are on the new map. I then called one of the local experts to get his take on the discrepancy. He feels there to be some truth on both sides and that combined with the fact that some of our data was lost can give us some leverage. So we are still moving forward and as such I encourage you to keep the comments flowing.

Nice!

great scott

Any updates on this, Scott?

Sorry I have fallen off the radar lately. Bottom line is I am having a really hard time keeping up the fight or motivating anyone else to do it. My personal life is full with every thing from teenage kids to my mother being diagnosed and treated for cancer(early tests look like they got it). Add in the fact that I just don't know what else to do and not much more has been done. So no there is nothing new to report. Any ideas?

richpblaze

We could picket

get the news involved whatever it takes. We need a location and a time we can get alot of people to show up. More than the showing we had a the Capital. This is the BLM'S fault it needs to be addressed. Do we have proof of lost documents?

richpblaze

We could picket

get the news involved whatever it takes. We need a location and a time we can get alot of people to show up. More than the showing we had a the Capital. This is the BLM'S fault it needs to be addressed. Do we have proof of lost documents? Can somebody get ahold of At Your Leisure maybe they can help.