Jeep Project "Culpepper" 5.2L V8 Swap

Slangy

Sgt. CulPepper
So a lot of people are doing this swap as will I this spring but was unsure of brand and company name wher I can get the motor mounts. And was unclear on the year of the donor I shoud use, I have a 2000 TJ with the 2.5 and auto trans (30rh) just want all my ducks in a row I work at a part store and have access to all the tools as my friend is a retired gm mech.

Here is a link to the motor mounts you will want to use. http://www.advanceadapters.com/products/713094--dodge-v8-engine-mount-kit/

As for the donor vehicle, I used a 99 Durango, you could also use a 2000 or 2001 Durango or Dodge Ram with the 5.2L. With the Durango I used I was able to use the engine, transmission and the transfer case. The TC is a np231 but was a little more heavy duty. I took the slip yoke off my 231 and swapped it to the Durango case.
Good Luck, if you have any questions feel free to ask, I will try to keep my eye on this thread since I haven't seen it in a while:D

Slangy,
I know this is an old thread but I was hoping I could get some help from you.
I have everything working but the speedo. A little info on what i swapped. My Jeep is a 2000 wrangler with a 4.0l and 5 speed Nv3550. The donor was a 2000 Ram 1500 sport with a 5.9l magnum and 46re trans. Just like you did I put the 231HD our of the truck in the jeep due to the bigger chain and put a SYE kit on that transfercase.

I left the transmission speed sensor hooked up as normal and it shifted fine but I had a check engine light on(which was P0500) and the speedo didn't work. So I tried to use the original out of the jeep which went to the transfer case and now it doesn't shift and the speedo doesn't work but the check engine light is off. LOL Any help would be great.

Thanks
Bones

Slangy

Sgt. CulPepper
Slangy,
I know this is an old thread but I was hoping I could get some help from you.
I have everything working but the speedo. A little info on what i swapped. My Jeep is a 2000 wrangler with a 4.0l and 5 speed Nv3550. The donor was a 2000 Ram 1500 sport with a 5.9l magnum and 46re trans. Just like you did I put the 231HD our of the truck in the jeep due to the bigger chain and put a SYE kit on that transfercase.

I left the transmission speed sensor hooked up as normal and it shifted fine but I had a check engine light on(which was P0500) and the speedo didn't work. So I tried to use the original out of the jeep which went to the transfer case and now it doesn't shift and the speedo doesn't work but the check engine light is off. LOL Any help would be great.

Thanks
Bones

Bones,
I sent you a PM. Sorry for the delayed response, I have not been logged on for a while. I didn't do anything special, I used the trans speed sensor off of the donor vehicle and connected it with no problems. My speedo still jumps around a bit ever since I installed the new transfer case, some days it works great and others it is jumpy.

Hi, new here getting ready to do the swap I have a 5.9 out of a 98 Durango putting in a 97 wrangler sport what is the best ECM to use does it have to be out of a manual since I’m keeping my ax15 or can I use a ECM from a auto
Thanks

Attachments

• 3A95E0E0-0D31-49C5-A1B0-4B4B9C859185.jpeg
    3A95E0E0-0D31-49C5-A1B0-4B4B9C859185.jpeg
    855.5 KB · Views: 12

Slangy

Sgt. CulPepper
Hi, new here getting ready to do the swap I have a 5.9 out of a 98 Durango putting in a 97 wrangler sport what is the best ECM to use does it have to be out of a manual since I’m keeping my ax15 or can I use a ECM from a auto
Thanks

I am excited to hear how your swap goes. You are going to want to use a manual ECM so you don't get any troubled codes.