GMC / Chevy Project Dual Sport ; 1998 GMC Sierra

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
It has been a while since this thread was updated. Did you ever get the rest of the exhaust parts? What else do you want to get done on the truck?

LT.

I was thinking about this truck over the weekend. Updates?

Hey guys, I had a window opened for a reply to LT but hadn't gotten around to it yet.

There's not too much to report, the exhaust is done and I'm very happy with it. The front driveline clears the exhaust downpipe now, so that's great. The new exhaust is a little loud when you get on the throttle (louder than I expected), but it has a great tone and really does sound like the engine is breathing well. The Flowmasters that came off were actually starting to rust thru, so it was a good time to replace them!

The truck usually gets driven on the weekends, took it to Home Depot yesterday and loaded it up with some Cedar fence posts and slats. Funny enough, when I came outside there was a guy crawling all over the front of the truck... I walked up and he introduced himself as an employee of ORD and that he did the welding on the solid axle conversion brackets!! He was excited to see his handy work on a vehicle in town. Too funny, small world.

I still need to replace the drag link, as the current one has fubar'd threads and isn't really adjustable. The truck needs a proper alignment.... my tape measure job works well, but I'm sure it could be better.

I'm getting ready to order the ORD front bumper center section, then build my own bumper off that. The center section will include recovery points and a winch mount and it will bolt up, which will make the rest of the fab work easy.

I'm not super-happy with the Tuff Country EZ ride front springs, they may get replaced with a set of Alcans down the road. That's going to be expensive, so it may be awhile.

I had a front driveshaft built using the IFS upper joint, shaft and slip joint and the upper u-joint doesn't like the angle and it binds up in 4WD. Not a big surprise, I will have the driveshaft built with a proper CV and trade the yoke on the t-case for a flange to bolt up to the CV. Due to the front driveshaft binding up, I haven't been able to make a proper trail test yet!

The 5.7 Vortec is OK, my engine has a good deal of miles on it and I'm sure it's pretty tired. Around town with the 4.88 gears its peppy... on the freeway at over 75 MPH I feel like I could use more power. A slight uphill grade and the trans will drop out of OD and the engine will really spin up. I wish I had more power to keep the engine in OD on the hills... still unsure about what to do there. The gas mileage is pretty pathetic, but at least it has some power.

I'm sure it's no mistake that you went with 4.88's and 37's. It's nearly the same as 4.10's with 30-31's, which is what came stock in my '99 2500 burb, and probably similar to what that truck had stock. Even with the 454 in the burb, it would kick down on hills and make me crazy. Plus, you have more wind resistance. However, the Vortec 350 can handle the rpms when you kick down and even at 75 it's not too crazy, calculater says 3300-3400 rpm or so.

Run it!

Greg

Admin
I'm sure it's no mistake that you went with 4.88's and 37's. It's nearly the same as 4.10's with 30-31's, which is what came stock in my '99 2500 burb, and probably similar to what that truck had stock. Even with the 454 in the burb, it would kick down on hills and make me crazy. Plus, you have more wind resistance. However, the Vortec 350 can handle the rpms when you kick down and even at 75 it's not too crazy, calculater says 3300-3400 rpm or so.

Run it!

The gearing is pretty decent, especially just over 70 MPH. It runs down the freeway quite well in the lower 70's. It's only when I push it over 75 MPH that it jumps in & our of OD or as you mentioned, up a hill. The 4L60E has a STEEP overdrive ratio, so it's not really a surprise! The Vortec 350 does spin up real good and seems comfortable at higher RPM's when needed. I'm still a fan of the Vortec 350, but sure would love to try out a Vortec 383!

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
P1010004-L.jpg

Where is this scale, exactly?

Greg

Admin
How have you liked the mtrs?

Haven't wheeled them, so it's hard to say. They run down the road pretty smooth! As mentioned earlier in the thread, they run BIG. They look much closer to a regular 38" tire IMO.

Yes, there are scales in this area. That one just looks so... nice.

It is nice... paid for by Halliburton and brand new. I work in the area quite often, so I made a quick trip in to borrow the scale.

Greg

Admin
So I took the truck for a drive today, explored a new dirtbike riding area outside of DeBeque, CO... the road out there was a well maintained rocky road and there were some small, rocky play areas. Even though the front driveshaft binds up and I know the tires are getting into the sheetmetal, I couldn't resist the urge to test the truck out a little bit.

On the freeway, I've learned that the truck is more comfortable around 72-73 MPH verses 77-78 MPH where I normally run in our other vehicles. At 72-73 it stays in OD unless there's a hill and seems to be a happy place for the engine when in OD. Takes a little longer to get places, but the truck feels better. Most of my trips in the truck have been pretty short, this was a bit longer and really the most offroad driving I've done since I got the truck back on the road... and that's not saying much. Most of it was driving on the dirt road and I must say, it bombs down the dirt roads pretty well. Even with the tires aired up to street pressures, it seemed to ride quite well on the rocky dirt road. The big 37's allow it to roll over rocks easier & with less drama.

I really only pulled up onto this rocky ledge in 4 Low, didn't want to destroy the front driveshaft, as it was binding up pretty good. The approach angle was great, the truck has plenty of suspension flex... I was pretty impressed. It's not built to be a 'crawler', but it seems like it will hold it's own in the rocks.

Under compression the rear tires hit the forward edge of the quarter-panel, I need to move the rear axle back and have the option, using the ORD Zero Rate AAL... it's drilled for a centered axle, or 1" offset either way. I put it together centered, just as a guess. Once I move the axle back, I will see if I need to do any trimming. The front tires were just barely catching the bottom-rear of the fender, I don't know that I will need to change anything there.

P1010151-XL.jpg

P1010152-XL.jpg

P1010144-XL.jpg

P1010146-XL.jpg

Greg

Admin
Well... the GMC has been pressed into moving duty! This was the 2nd load today, after closing on our new property. Many, MANY more loads to come. I may rent an enclosed trailer next week for the bigger items, we will see how the truck does pulling a trailer.

20130719_195607-L.jpg

LT.

Yea! Moving is soooo much fun. NOT! I still a huge fan of what you did on this truck. If you need to borrow a trailer let me know. I bet most of your house will fit on one of my flat bed trailers.

LT.

Greg

Admin
I appreciate the offer Rob, I think we're covered on the trailer! The truck is doing great with moving duty, but it's wearing on me!