GMC / Chevy Project Dual Sport ; 1998 GMC Sierra

LT.

I appreciate the offer Rob, I think we're covered on the trailer! The truck is doing great with moving duty, but it's wearing on me!

I hate moving. You never realize just how much stuff you have until you move. It is not the big stuff but, all the hand fulls of stuff you bring in everyday.

LT.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
So life has finally settled down a bit to allow me to get back to working on the GMC! I picked up a 'stubby' winch bumper from ORD, unfortunately I had to do come cutting to make it work, but it's now in place. I also bolted up my Warn XD9000 and welded on a pair of tabs for the LED lights I bought from one of our vendors on here, Deviant.

Eventually I plan on extending out the tube work and better protecting the front end. For now, I'll leave it as is.

Here's how it all came together...

20130911_201246-L.jpg

20130914_180313-L.jpg

20130914_180430-L.jpg

Greg

Admin
Thanks guys, the bumper really helped finish off the front end. The truck look much more complete now.

I actually made a ton of progress on the minor details this weekend in addition to the bumper, winch & lights. I started Thursday night and worked several hours each day, wrapping up this afternoon.

New drag link that is actually adjustable, the previous one had a stuck TRE... now I can get it properly aligned!

My turning radius going left has sucked, I needed to cut 4 new splines in the pitman arm and set it in the right place. I had a chance to do that... and now the truck turns like it should!

Front driveshaft is in, had to do some grinding on the upper yokes to create enough clearance at the u-joint. We will see if I need a CV, probably will when running in 4 High... but in the meantime, I now have proper 4WD.

Rear axle is moved back, so it won't hit the front edge of the wheel-wells under compression. Doing this actually raised the back-end up the truck up just a little, which now makes the truck look right... there is no longer a rake with the front sitting up higher than the rear, if anything the rear is now higher than the front.

Fixed a broken inside door handle and stopped the window from squealing when being rolled up.

All in all, I'd say it was a very productive weekend! We're hoping to get the truck ready for some kind of weekend camping trip this Fall... I'm really looking forward to that!

Greg

Admin
So the new LED lights... I like having good lighting on my vehicles, great night vision in important to me. I decided to take a couple pics at night with the headlights, the LED lights and then both together. I did this on the side of my house... in the desert would have been better, but that will have to happen another time. Right now I have the LED's pointed slightly down, as they're flood lights and I wanted the bulk of the light right at the front of the truck.

Here's the truck with the high beams on (using the Painless Wiring kit, both high & low beams on)...
20130915_200522-L.jpg

And the LED's only, which put out a VERY white, bright light...
20130915_200513-L.jpg

And the headlights on high beam, with the LED's together... looks like the headlights & the LED's complement each other very well and fill in for each other.
20130915_200531-L.jpg

I'm pretty sure I have 3 different colors of lights, but that said I'm very happy with the overall amount, spread & distance of light that the truck is putting out. Quite pleased with the cheap LED's, we will see how long they last.

Greg

Admin

Greg

Admin
OK, this has been a LONG time coming... I've been spending a lot of time getting the GMC trail-ready the last few weeks. There were several major finishing details that I've mostly wrapped up... I still need to plumb & wire the ARB air compressor, so I have a functioning front locker. I also have a front, inner axle seal that's leaking. Other than that, it's minor stuff!

I took the GMC out to Bangs Canyon and the Rough Canyon area for a test. Even with the tires at street pressure and no front ARB, the truck is very capable. I don't know how often the front ARB will be needed, this play area is way more difficult than the trails I built the truck for and the ARB wasn't needed. The 'playground' area has a dozen or so ledges of varying size, so I spent some time playing around was very impressed, the truck was more or less point-and-shoot... climbed up everything I pointed it at.

I was also happy with the gearing, crawl ratio and suspension. The front springs, while a bit firm on the road, were a pretty good compromise of stiffness while dropping off the big ledges. The height of the truck was about perfect for the big ledges and the 142" wheelbase was actually nice. Driving the full size offroad wasn't that bad either. I do need to lower the front-lower shock mounts, they're too close to bottoming out and I'd hate to destroy a shock for something so simple. Considering this truck wasn't built to be a crawler, it's plenty capable.

Here are some pics from the evening...

20130921_191530_Richtone%28HDR%29-L.jpg

20130921_191543_Richtone%28HDR%29-L.jpg

20130921_191601_Richtone%28HDR%29-L.jpg

20130921_191949_Richtone%28HDR%29-L.jpg

20130921_192303_Richtone%28HDR%29-L.jpg

20130921_192528_Richtone%28HDR%29-L.jpg