GMC / Chevy Project Dual Sport ; 1998 GMC Sierra

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I've been working on the interior, the cushions in the old seats were worn out and the carpet was just plain nasty in spots. The center console was broken and loose... time for some upgrades! I decided to go with black, rather that blue that was already there. It doesn't all match, but it does look better to me!

First was a pair of Corbeau XRS seats, with seat heaters and Corbeau brackets! Tons of thanks to Davy and Tyler at AllJeep.com. I ordered my seats thru them and they went above & beyond to get my order in my hands, fast! Thanks guys!!

I ordered a black fitted carpet and insulation for my make & model from Summit Racing and finally a black Rugged Ridge Ultimate Locking Console.

P3180016-L.jpg

Old carpet -

P3220018-L.jpg

After pulling out the old carpet, I vacuumed out the dirt, then wiped the floor down with a hot, soapy towel.

P3220022-L.jpg

New insulation & carpet. -

P3220024-L.jpg

P3220023-L.jpg

I decided to raise the center console, since it was built for a Jeep and the floor in the truck wasn't flat. I wanted to be able to use the console as an arm rest too, so I raised the rear up by 5 1/2" and the front by 3". Since I was essentially building a box, I decided to put the console on a hinge and have a 'hidden' compartment. The carpet job on the box isn't great, I used scrap pieces from the new carpet, I'm going to eventually re-carpet the box.

P3240027-L.jpg

P3240030-L.jpg

The final product! Looks much better, the seats will be way more supportive when bouncing around offroad, the addition of seat heaters will be very nice on those cold days and the new carpet looks 10x better! -

P3240032-L.jpg

P3240033-L.jpg

P3240034-L.jpg

21445252_kz8bCq

Greg

Admin
Looks good! I like the hidden compartment.. I'll consider something like that in the Burb... and the seats look great!

That hidden compartment would the perfect place for a handgun. ;) I'd like to think that nobody (except everyone on the internets) would realize that compartment was there.

Yeah, but there's a lot of other blue carpet... I'm fine with leaving it as is, for now.

Greg

Admin
Thanks guys, the new seats and carpet really helped update the interior. The seats are firm and locate you very well, I'm excited about them!

Ok, got my camera working again... damn thing! Here's the recent progress...

I reinstalled my Helton hot water shower that I got from Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters. The Helton on-board shower was on my old Land Cruiser and I finally got around to swapping it onto the GMC. I posted about it before, here- http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.ph...92-Toyota-FJ80&p=595689&viewfull=1#post595689

Basically it consists of a copper heat exchanger that you tie into the heater core hoses. The shower has an electric pump that is powered by your 12 volt power outlet... the pump circulates your cold supply water thru the heat exchanger that is heated up by the engines coolant. Your supply water is separated from the vehicles antifreeze, but the heat from the coolant heats up the cold shower water! It's an amazing addition to a vehicle that you will be camping from. Being clean while camping is one of the best feelings ever... just ask anyone that has used one of these! Here's some pictures of the Helton on-board hot water shower...

Placed the heat exchanger between the battery and air filter box-

P4280016-L.jpg

P4280017-L.jpg

P4280018-L.jpg

P4280019-L.jpg

P4280024-XL.jpg

No doubt about it... I'm looking forward to a nice, hot shower after a long day on the trail. :greg:

Greg

Admin
In preparation for the solid axle swap, I started working on front axle!

I finally found a Ford '78-79 Dana 60... had to drive to Denver to get it! It was in pretty poor shape with a lot of rust and grease, I tore it down and took the bare housing (with diff cover on), caliper brackets and knuckles down to the Monument Powder Coating in Fruita, where they powder coat and sand blast. They worked their magic and cleaned it up like it was new! I took some pics of the freshly blasted parts, but the camera didn't like them, so no pics of the bare, cleaned up axle!

I broke out the cans of Rustoleum and went to town...

P4280012-L.jpg

P4280014-L.jpg

I have some of the rebuild parts, a set of new Yukon 4.88's... ordered an ARB air locker, compressor and Yukon gear install kit from Kurt @ Cruiser Outfitters. Also have new rotors and calipers to put on, eventually. ILean (aka Carl) will be installing the gears and ARB... ;)

I need to do a full kingpin rebuild, replace all the bearings & seals and order new shafts, u-joints and hubs. I'm planning on 35 spline Warn Premium hubs and stub shafts.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Too bad I'm going to scratch off some of that pretty Rust-o-leum when I have it on the axle stand. :rofl:

Max Power

Bryce
Your interior looks awesome! I am a huge fan of Corbeau seats and their high quality brackets. Very clean install.

On a seperate note, how many gallons of water on average do you go through to get clean with a Helton Shower?

Greg

Admin
Your interior looks awesome! I am a huge fan of Corbeau seats and their high quality brackets. Very clean install.

On a seperate note, how many gallons of water on average do you go through to get clean with a Helton Shower?

Thanks! It turned out pretty well, I'm happy with the interior! The Corbeau seats are nice, I'm pretty happy with them.

I usually pack a 7 gallon tank for showers on camping trips, we can usually get 3-4 showers out of it. Usually they're quick showers, rinse, soap & rinse. I have plans to add more water... or just carry a 2nd 7 gallon tank... 14 gallons should be plenty! :D

Greg,

Check out this conversion to an '06 front clip w/ fiberglass fenders/hood. I vote that you do this even if you run 35"s.

*edit* Just realized that this is for a 91 & older.

Funny you mention that, I've been checking this out-

http://www.mcneilracinginc.com/off-road-fiberglass/chevy/pick-up/1988-1998-pickup/

I've considered the fiberglass front clip, but that's a lot of extra money & work. I've thought about about just the fiberglass fenders, to help fit the tires. I will be running 37's and I'm planning for 5" of lift, so the stock fenders may need to be trimmed some... which is fine, but fiberglass fenders sure would be nice.