GMC / Chevy Project Dual Sport ; 1998 GMC Sierra

STAG

On my grind
How are your MTR-K's doing on tread wear? Everything all even and good or do you have cupping and odd wear?

P.S. you are going to sound like a FedEx truck Haha

Last edited:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
How are your MTR-K's doing on tread wear? Everything all even and good or do you have cupping and odd wear?

P.S. you are going to sound like a FedEx truck Haha

Sorry, I guess I missed this!

The tires seem to be wearing well, but I don't drive the truck too often so the miles are coming slowly. I do like the MTR's though, they seem to work well in all kinds of conditions and aren't very noisy on the road.

We will see about the Isuzu diesel engine, I like the idea but the truck runs & drives well with the Vortec 350.

str8axleguy

So I just read your entire build thread awesome truck! Where did you get your headlights, and wiring harness ? I just picked up a 97 and definitely need to replace the lights !

UFAB

"I dig it. If you run into needing any 4L80E core parts, I'm yer huckleberry."

I need some 4l80e cases, keep cracking bell housing with supercharged v8

str8axleguy

Thank you! I have seen ebay has tons of lights but haven't been impressed with ebay quality on headlights in the past . How are yours holding up ? Debating adding HIDs but not sure .

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Thank you! I have seen ebay has tons of lights but haven't been impressed with ebay quality on headlights in the past . How are yours holding up ? Debating adding HIDs but not sure .

So far they're good, but I had a feeling the ones I used from RockAuto weren't quite the quality of factory parts either. I don't know enough about HID's, but I'm happy with the amount and quality of light I'm getting now.

spencevans

Overlander
I bet, the Tahoe was a winner!

Nothing official, but mileage sucks. :D

Stock the truck had 3.42 gears, an overdrive ratio of .69 and 285's... it was pulling down 18-19 MPG no problem. That gearing combo just allowed the engine to spin at low RPM's everywhere. It had enough torque to pull it off.

Now with 4.88's and 37's I'd be surprised to see more than 12 MPG... more than likely 10-11 MPG average. I haven't driven it enough to get some actual numbers, so that's a guesstimate.

At freeway speeds (75+ MPH) truck has a hard time staying in OD on anything but flat ground, which is killing the mileage. I would like to rebuild both the engine & transmission and hope I'll gain a good deal more torque with a 383, helping the truck stay in OD.

I realize the 6.5l diesel engine is a turd from a towing/performance standpoint, but I wonder how a 6.5 equipped GM truck would do with the same build and gearing that worked with the diesel.

I picked up a 1999 K1500 Chevy Suburban with a 6.5 diesel and it got me thinking about this conversation. I have only had it for a few days and I am already thinking about doing a solid axle, just don't tell the wife. The K1500 Suburban is a totally different animal than the K1500 Pickup because the K1500 Suburban is identical to the K2500 Suburban in every way except the K1500 has the 3.42 gears rather than the 3.73 or 4.10 gears. The K1500 Suburban came with the heavy duty 4L80 transmission, 3/4 ton frame, L65 Diesel Engine (no egr or catalytic converter), heavy duty tranny cooler etc. The K1500 Pickups had the L56 engine (egr and catalytic converter), 4L60 trans, and no tranny cooler. I am thinking I have a good rig to start with because it has a new P400 6.5 diesel. This version of the 6.5 has over 30 improvements over the original engine which include a reinforced block, forged crank, 20.1 compression ratio just to name a few. The P400 has been a trouble free engine and is capable of handling 300-400hp from what the experts say.

So it gets me thinking. Do I want to build up a diesel suburban and go with a long travel IFS or SFA like Greg. So many choices.

Suburban TD.jpg

spencevans

Overlander
First and foremost I need it as a people mover. With 6 kids I am nearly at capacity. I want it to be as reliable as possible and maybe I will even tow a small tent trailer.

OrvisKrawler

Captain Obvious
I picked up a 1999 K1500 Chevy Suburban with a 6.5 diesel and it got me thinking about this conversation. I have only had it for a few days and I am already thinking about doing a solid axle, just don't tell the wife. The K1500 Suburban is a totally different animal than the K1500 Pickup because the K1500 Suburban is identical to the K2500 Suburban in every way except the K1500 has the 3.42 gears rather than the 3.73 or 4.10 gears. The K1500 Suburban came with the heavy duty 4L80 transmission, 3/4 ton frame, L65 Diesel Engine (no egr or catalytic converter), heavy duty tranny cooler etc. The K1500 Pickups had the L56 engine (egr and catalytic converter), 4L60 trans, and no tranny cooler. I am thinking I have a good rig to start with because it has a new P400 6.5 diesel. This version of the 6.5 has over 30 improvements over the original engine which include a reinforced block, forged crank, 20.1 compression ratio just to name a few. The P400 has been a trouble free engine and is capable of handling 300-400hp from what the experts say.

Really, my 1998 gmc K1500 had a trans cooler, 3.73 gears and a 14 bolt rear end and 3/4 springs... stock, your information is flawed :D