Project Toyota Tacoma Doublecab

lewis

Fight Till You Die
Here is how she sat at 2 am

build1015.jpg

build1017.jpg

lewis

Fight Till You Die
Spend all day trying to get my brake lines hooked up, still trying to figure it out. I did make a steering shaft. Had to use 3 differnet vehicle parts to get it to finished.
build2003.jpg

lewis

Fight Till You Die
One week almost nonstop. Still not done. Still have to put on shocks, finish panhord rod, and line up and weld on the rear axle and do drivelines. Here is some pics. Currently the frame is 26" from the ground.

build3001ld8.jpg

I built my own firewall plate. I used a piece of steel out off the front skid plate. I didn't even have to bend it, the piece had the exact bend as the firewall plate.
build3003zu3.jpg

build3011cb4.jpg

build3016ls5.jpg

build3014ip9.jpg

build3012he5.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:

O'neal

?????????
Nice ride......I like the quad cab's,Sometime's I wish I would have kept mine.What's up with the shackle angle on the front,look's alittle layed back?

lewis

Fight Till You Die
Nice ride......I like the quad cab's,Sometime's I wish I would have kept mine.What's up with the shackle angle on the front,look's alittle layed back?

It is. I am already running a 5 inch shackle. If I ran a shorter one it flops back on the frame.I could get it more angle between it and the frame by running an even longer shackle which I don't want to do. The shackle won't go back very much more cause the spring is almost as flat as it can get. I could move the mount back but this would put the shackle at more then 90 degrees at full droop which more than 90 at full droop would allow the possibility of the shackle inverting when recompressed. Hopefully it will be fine. If it does hit the frame I will have to get less flexible springs or run a longer shackle. I have flexed it using jack stands though and it should be fine.

Last edited:

jsudar

Jealousy is running rampant over here. That is one good looking truck. I like your steering shaft. Now you can tell your wife why it is such a good thing to have piles of old parts and half torn down trucks all over the yard. I'll have to have my wife read this, so I can get another parts truck.

Since it was still a little truck when it went in, is it going to fit under the door when it's time to come out of the garage?

I had to lower my ride height 2" and let all most all the air out of my 37's to get my truck under the garage door. Stupid 7 foot doors.

Jared

Formerly DeadEye J
It is. I am already running a 5 inch shackle. If I ran a shorter one it flops back on the frame.I could get it more angle between it and the frame by running an even longer shackle which I don't want to do. The shackle won't go back very much more cause the spring is almost as flat as it can get. I could move the mount back but this would put the shackle at more then 90 degrees at full droop which more than 90 at full droop would allow the possibility of the shackle inverting when recompressed. Hopefully it will be fine. If it does hit the frame I will have to get less flexible springs or run a longer shackle. I have flexed it using jack stands though and it should be fine.

That much shackle angle may cause you some troubles in the future. For certain it will put a lot more strain on spring/shackle bushings and cause premature wear to those parts. On a potentially positive note, it will effectively lower the spring rate the more of an angle the shackle is laying, which may improve your flex and ride. Of course, a negative side effect of lowering your spring rate on compression is that it's kind of the opposite of what you want for higher speed off roading. Ideally, you want progressively higher spring rates as the spring compresses to keep you from bottoming out.

No harm in trying it out first, but you'll likely end up needing to move the shackle hangers back a few inches and maybe using a shorter shackle to lose the extra height gained from straightening the shackle angle.

Looks awesome though, and should be a sweet, one of a kind ride!

lewis

Fight Till You Die
That much shackle angle may cause you some troubles in the future. For certain it will put a lot more strain on spring/shackle bushings and cause premature wear to those parts. On a potentially positive note, it will effectively lower the spring rate the more of an angle the shackle is laying, which may improve your flex and ride. Of course, a negative side effect of lowering your spring rate on compression is that it's kind of the opposite of what you want for higher speed off roading. Ideally, you want progressively higher spring rates as the spring compresses to keep you from bottoming out.

No harm in trying it out first, but you'll likely end up needing to move the shackle hangers back a few inches and maybe using a shorter shackle to lose the extra height gained from straightening the shackle angle.

Looks awesome though, and should be a sweet, one of a kind ride!

Thanks for the info. I know its going to ride rough since the spring in full compression will only compress another 1-1/2" till its bottomed out. I will have to mess with it once I get it out of the garage. Still got a ways.

lewis

Fight Till You Die
Looking sweet!! :cool:

Thanks! on the to do list is-
- straighten front axle by getting new springs or moving spring perch hole
- line up rear axle with front axle, weld all rear mounts
-weld rear spring perches
-make panhard rod bracket on axle side
-rear driveline( chopping off rear spline shaft to replace with splines shaft that has 1350 ujoint)

than it will be driveable but still need front driveshaft

Goose

aToYoTa-fREak
Jealousy is running rampant over here. That is one good looking truck. I like your steering shaft. Now you can tell your wife why it is such a good thing to have piles of old parts and half torn down trucks all over the yard. I'll have to have my wife read this, so I can get another parts truck.

Since it was still a little truck when it went in, is it going to fit under the door when it's time to come out of the garage?

I had to lower my ride height 2" and let all most all the air out of my 37's to get my truck under the garage door. Stupid 7 foot doors.

that excuse usually only buys me 1 month or so.
I solved the 7" door prob. suspension winches

Im impessed, that thing is lookin sweet! (you must not be getting much sleep) ;) did you get your brakes figured out?

I think your right for not going longer on the shackle, (the longer the shackle is the more movement the axle has foward & back)
youl have less probs with tires rubbing, with the shorter shackle.
if the angle becomes a problem, just move the springs forward.
you probably only need 1/2" forward.

Last edited:

lewis

Fight Till You Die
I tried a longer shackle last night. I put on a half inch longer shackle. It made the angle better but now my frame is 27 inches instead of 26. I think I will go back to the other to keep my height down. I can't run a shorter shackle, tried it and the spring flops onto the frame. Can't move the spring mount back cause then at full droop the the shackle will pass 90 degree making the possibilty of it inverting when reloaded(definatley don't want that) My only option to change the shackle angle is to go with differnet springs that don't have so much flex in them(cause I took out 2 leafs to get my height down).

build1039.jpg

build1036.jpg

Longer shackle
build3008kh0.jpg

Last edited:

Max Power

Bryce
You seemed concerned about keeping your frame a 26"s. I am assuming that is because of the legal height restrictions. That being said, what are you planning on doing to keep your tires covered?

SLC97SR5

IDIesel
I tried a longer shackle last night. I put on a half inch longer shackle. It made the angle better but now my frame is 27 inches instead of 26. I think I will go back to the other to keep my height down. I can't run a shorter shackle, tried it and the spring flops onto the frame. Can't move the spring mount back cause then at full droop the the shackle will pass 90 degree making the possibilty of it inverting when reloaded(definatley don't want that) My only option to change the shackle angle is to go with differnet springs that don't have so much flex in them(cause I took out 2 leafs to get my height down).

Here's an idea...
Old Man Emu recommends welding a piece of steel strap to the shackle to keep it from going inverted. Here is a link to an OME review, the picture of the modified shackle is half way down the page.

http://www.off-road.com/trucks4x4/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=305990

Last edited: