Project Toyota Tacoma Doublecab

lewis

Fight Till You Die
looks like the truck turned out awesome! good to see it out in the dirt.
rear drive line input- is your CV & your ballancing weights on your tube lined up?
Ive slid my splines apart before & forgot to line them back up to where they were balanced
& ended up with a nice shimmy.

Thanks for the input. I pulled my splines apart and didn't mark them cause the people that build it put arrows on, however they were so far apart I am not sure if I got them lined back up exact. However my driveline vibrations are completely gone. I finally got out the dial indiactor and put shims in until the pinion was right around 1 degree under the driveline. No more vibrations and I can finally go 80 and beyond.

Erik d_lux

Surely did. Took forever on 5 rims
Youre hardcore mang... I looked at them very close and thought there was no way you would have masked them.

I was thinking of painting the whole wheel and then sanding the parts that I want shiny. Now I am thinking they are fine the way they are lol

Goose

aToYoTa-fREak
Thanks for the input. I pulled my splines apart and didn't mark them cause the people that build it put arrows on, however they were so far apart I am not sure if I got them lined back up exact. However my driveline vibrations are completely gone. I finally got out the dial indiactor and put shims in until the pinion was right around 1 degree under the driveline. No more vibrations and I can finally go 80 and beyond.

If the vibration is gone, you must have lined them up pretty close or right on.
nice!!

Damin

Formerly jakeypoobear
That's gooood looking man, wish I still had mine. Nice tube work on the undercarriage and every where else you really went over the top on this build. I'm building another one so you'll have to tell me if there's any thing you would do different.
CHEERS, FOR THE SICK RIG!

lewis

Fight Till You Die
That's gooood looking man, wish I still had mine. Nice tube work on the undercarriage and every where else you really went over the top on this build. I'm building another one so you'll have to tell me if there's any thing you would do different.
CHEERS, FOR THE SICK RIG!

Thanks! It hasn't seen enough dirt yet to know what I don't like on it yet. If I had to do another one I would have kept the stock rear axle and bought a diamond or other front and just ran 35's.

You have one of the best looking double cabs out there. I love it. I really like the front bumper, that came out steller. You have some serious skills. Great build.

Russ

Thanks!

lewis

Fight Till You Die
Installing a Tc saginaw pump in a tacoma

Since I got this truck my power steering pump has leaked and I rebuilt it twice and it still leaked. Last time I took it out my fluid got hot and I lost power steering so I wanted to add more fluid and at the same time put on a pump that will hopefully be able to handle the steering box a little better. And Thanks Blair(smashmetal) for all your help!

So here is the run down.
Pump was $80 from autozone part# 6379
Pulley from auto zone was $12 part# 300-302
Tank I will buy from speedway for $25 (choose std and #10 outet) Part # 91032876 Also purchasing the mount $10
This fitting will need to be purchase since it is the correct fitting for the pump http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RUS-648060/

New pump on top of old pump
july2009003.jpg

july2009004.jpg

Toy pump
july2009005.jpg

New pump
july2009007.jpg

side to side
july2009010.jpg

front view
july2009012.jpg

New pulley versus old. The new has a few more ribs on it but won't make a difference. Just run it on the ribs that it lines up with.
july2009019.jpg

This shows the new pumps mounting surface is shorter than the older making it necessary to add a few washers when its mounted up.
july2009021.jpg

Last edited:

lewis

Fight Till You Die
I drilled out this part for better flow. I did 11/64 although I forgot I am not running hydro assist yet so I went to the junk yard and got a new valve.
july2009022.jpg

The part that was drilled out
july2009023.jpg

Inside of the pump pressure fitting. Also the new pump uses new smaller bolts.
july2009024.jpg

This is the side of the pump that had to be drilled out to except the mounting bolt. I used a 3/8" bit but the bolt is slightly larger than that so I used this high speed burring tool to finish the rest.
july2009029.jpg

july2009030.jpg

Last edited:

lewis

Fight Till You Die
Got the pump put in. You can see where I had to put 2 washers to fill the gap.
pump001.jpg

pump002.jpg

Still waiting on the rest of the parts.

Last edited:

smashmetal

Glad to see everything worked out for ya! I'm sure you wallet appreciates it too:D

You should add a cooler while your doing eveything. I just ended up using a tranny cooler from Napa.

Last edited:

tonloc152

I am at the same point in my ford d60 front. Now that you have driven it for awhile how do you like the drilled and flipped ubolts on the drivers side? I had considered running straight bolts with the bolt head on the bottom through the oem bracket and running each individual bolt up through a new U-bolt plate on top. What do you think?

lewis

Fight Till You Die
I am at the same point in my ford d60 front. Now that you have driven it for awhile how do you like the drilled and flipped ubolts on the drivers side? I had considered running straight bolts with the bolt head on the bottom through the oem bracket and running each individual bolt up through a new U-bolt plate on top. What do you think?

I thought about doing that but then would still have those ugly big brackets hanging down. The way I did it looks really clean and works really well.

lewis

Fight Till You Die
Here is the pump finished with the reservoir and bracket. It was pretty solid, however I spent hours on trying to get the air out of it but couldn't get it bled out so I have the stock pump on and I fixed the leak it had in the process(only took 2 years to figure that one out). The stock reservoir needed some FIPG where it mounted to the pump and no more leaks. I am not sure where I was getting air from. The reservoir had to be mounted to the pump and I couldn't use the the correct hose fitting since the tank was so tall so I just threaded the hose on and put a hose clamp on. I didn't have any leaks but was getting air from somehwere.
pumper011.jpg

pumper012.jpg

Last edited:

lewis

Fight Till You Die
Just found some pictures on how I got my tires to fit in my wheel wells. I still have slight rubbing at full flex but the tire is no longer chewing up the metal fender and plastic flare. I trimmed about an inch off, than made a bracket to move the fender back an inch to stretch the fender and didn't put in the last clip to make it stretch.
cycle001.jpg

cycle003.jpg

cycle002.jpg

cycle004.jpg

lewis

Fight Till You Die
Finally got the tc saginaw pump working. The cheaper reservoir was made wrong or designed wrwong as it put air in the system. Now that I had a psc reservoir, my wallet is alot lighter but it works and looks better. I built a bracket to mount the reservoir. Now just need to finish the hydro assist brackets.
pump001-1.jpg

pump002-1.jpg

pump003.jpg

lewis

Fight Till You Die
Finally since the beginning of November, its back together. I added a power steering filter using Fram's Racing filter and added a ram assist. Still haven't gotten to drive it yet since its got a flat tire but it is nice that I can turn the wheel while its sitting and it will actually turn.
pictures008.jpg

pictures010.jpg

lewis

Fight Till You Die
Rtt

So I got a Roof Top Tent that my family and I are excited about. We needed a new tent that didn't take all day to set up and my wife hates sleeping on the ground when camping because of the small critters we always find in our tent.

The rack I made for my tent had a few requirements that needed to be met to meet my needs. I wanted to be able to still use the tool box in my bed since it holds alot of stuff and keeps it out of the weather. I also had height and length restrictions since I wanted my truck to still fit in my garage.

So this is the mount I came up with. Looking back I think I would have rather incorporated some heavy duty drawer sliders for the tent to move on but this works and the tent is secure. I ended up using 1-1/2" tube and sleeved it with 1-3/4" tube with draw pull latches to tightened the tube in 2 spots to keep it from moving. With a little grease it moves well and I can get in my tool box.

rtt001.jpg

rtt003.jpg

rtt004.jpg

rtt006.jpg