Race Canned Ham.

Vonski

nothing to see here...
Angle iron is in right now as far as race car fab is concerned. Ya its to vent the tube. You can get away from not venting tube if your mig welding it but when it comes to tig once you try to finish a weld with the other side already welded shut the gasses will force themselves out of your pretty weld. More clever folks will just drill the vents into the tube they are covering this way all the tubes are vented into each other needing only one real vent but i really dont care on this car and have seen it both ways a lot.

Are you back-purging (inside the tube) with gas while welding? Just curious...

Cool build btw, I’m just now catching up on all the details. 🤘 BITD has very defined and somewhat confining rules, so I knowingly disqualified my own CanAm build on day 1. 😂. If I decide to compete, I’ll have to choose another race series.

Last edited:

YROC FAB.

BUGGY TIME
Vendor
Are you back-purging (inside the tube) with gas while welding? Just curious...

Cool build btw, I’m just now catching up on all the details. 🤘 BITD has very defined and somewhat confining rules, so I knowingly disqualified my own CanAm build on day 1. 😂. If I decide to compete, I’ll have to choose another race series.

No back purge. All the tubing is 1.75", 1.25", and 1" .090" wall chromoly.

YROC FAB.

BUGGY TIME
Vendor
Any idea on how much weight you’ll add?
I dont have any idea, ill let you know if it gets weighed. Im sure the chassis its self will weigh double what a stock one did. Thats a 32 gallon fuel cell going in it also and the radiator is quite a bit heavy than stock. All the plastic we lost will probably get made up for with all the aluminum sheeting going back in. She will be much heavier than stock but there is no way stock would survive the racing this will go in. It will get billet upper a arms, billet knuckles and hubs. billet diff components, billet water pump/alternator changus, big ole plated bad ass lower a arms and rear trailing arms.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
The level of coolness is definitely reaching new heights! I think this first SXS that I really like. :D
Thanks for sharing this build, it is pretty much art!

Tonkaman

Maybe you already answered this question, but why start with a can am instead of totally from scratch? I know you said this one was sitting around already. Was that the only motivation? Now that your in this deep, do you still see the benefit?

Vonski

nothing to see here...
Maybe you already answered this question, but why start with a can am instead of totally from scratch? I know you said this one was sitting around already. Was that the only motivation? Now that your in this deep, do you still see the benefit?

I’ll let the builder give specifics, but he’s building to meet tech inspection in a BITD class. This requires starting with a production based utv with certain limitations on existing suspension locations and wheelbase.

YROC FAB.

BUGGY TIME
Vendor

They race in the pro stock class so the wheel base has to be the same, the suspension mounts have to be the same, the engine has to be stock, we have to put the plastic back on so it kind of looks like a can am again. We email the man in charge and he sent us a picture of what must not be changed and the only steel we couldn't replace was pretty much the front and rear suspension bulkheads. Had they brought this to me this last winter we would of replaced the entire subframe. We kept it there so we dint have to mess with squaring everything up and setting the wheel base. Time has been a big deciding factor this build without sacrificing too much quality. Everything not hidden or at eye level has tig welded, the rest is mig welded. I work a 45hr week fulltime grave yard job. I get 2to4 hrs a day on it and as much time as I can on the weekends while trying to maintain some sanity. The rest of the team are not fabricators but have been over almost everyday doing their best to help and learn.

redrockracing_

I am one of the owners / drivers of the car and with all the covid crap going on we procrastinated on this build. Ideally we would have built a full chassis. But at this point we are just extremely excited to be getting back racing. The workmanship on this is so much better in person. Don’t get me wrong the pictures are gorgeous but it is a piece of art in person!

Vonski

nothing to see here...
I am one of the owners / drivers of the car and with all the covid crap going on we procrastinated on this build. Ideally we would have built a full chassis. But at this point we are just extremely excited to be getting back racing. The workmanship on this is so much better in person. Don’t get me wrong the pictures are gorgeous but it is a piece of art in person!

Looks like you’ve got a good handle on things, but there are some good resources in people following this that have extra springs, limit straps, and misc. parts. I just shipped back some X3 Turner race CVs you guys probably could’ve ran and didn’t think to ask. If things got real bad, there are a few that might even be willing to put in some fab hours. Anyway, let us know...