Rockslide at Rattlesnake!

terrymac

Must have been a hell of a storm last night.

My brother-in-law and I decided to give Rattlesnake a try in our Samurai's. Searching this site for all the trail info I could find led me to believe that with his 1.6 16v Sami, open and on 31's, and my 1.3 with a front locker, 33's and a 100:1 crawl, we could get through even if we had to use his winch. Boy was I mistaken!

As you can see form the attached pics, the section I think that is referred to as "the squeeze" has become quite the gatekeeper. After checking out the only two lines available, we decided to turn around. I don't have a t-case skid plate and neither one of us has rock rails, both would be requirements, I believe, to get through this section now. Long wheelbase and 37's wouldn't hurt either.

Good luck on Sunday Spencerai, you are going to need it. I am really looking forward to the trip report to find out who, what and how everyone gets through.

terrymac

One more comment regarding our trip today; there is no bypass. If you can't get over the obstacles in the photos I posted, you can't do Rattlesnake. We weren't equipped to move rocks today (no Hi-Lift, shovel or prybar) but we really didn't think we would have to.

While I think my rig is pretty well equipped for the average run (I have done Lower Helldorado among other 4 and 4+ Moab runs), it was most certainly not ready for the rocks we encountered today in Rattlesnake. Guess I have to spend more money now to do the local "hardcore" trail.

terrymac

It was quite obvious someone had modified the trail just prior to us going there. At least one very large rock and a tree had been drug into the trail with no apparent tracks of anything going through after.

Originally posted by cruiseroutfit
Doesn't look like it has changed since I was out there last...two weeks ago... or has it... its hard to tell from the pics.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Originally posted by Shawn
Wow,,, This could be interesting..

Yup.... I am having a hard time placing that on the trail... is this the short section just past the where jeremy broke his leaf spring on those rocks or is this that same area, I can't tell from the pics...

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
Originally posted by terrymac
Must have been a hell of a storm last night.

Good luck on Sunday Spencerai, you are going to need it. I am really looking forward to the trip report to find out who, what and how everyone gets through.

no problemo!! Looks like a cakewalk. I don't spare the rocker panels, they take all the abuse I can give em!!

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
Originally posted by jp008
:cool:

ummm ya....cool.... so tell us what you think about this baby rockslide jim....you have sacrificed some pretty heavy duty rocker guards on boulders 1/2 the size of your zuk....:)

jp008

Bring it ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Body damage is a sign that the vehicle is actually used.

BTW look what I found in my side gears........

SmokinCamel

Went from 80" to 125" :)
Here here jim. Rockers deserve to be knocked. Hell mine are :p HEAR THIS PEOPLE! I WILL BE AT THE RATTLESNAKE THIS WEEKEND! I sat in my zuk and there is a possiblility I can drive it. I WILL FIND A WAY. Be there or you will miss out. :p :D :cool: