rolled jeep...

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
Thank you all for taking over where I started off... the group of people on here are truely some of the finest around!!!

I think we need a new section on RME for recoveries... make it a section that if anyone posts in it it automatically brings the post to the top of the list so as for everyone to see it right away and make thing happen really quickly... This would be a great feature and it might even be better if it could send out a txt message to peoples phones that add their numbers to a list stating they would be able to help in time of need....

Just my thoughts...
John

Medsker

2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Wow. I thought I was grateful to all you guys before, just for giving me hope that I would be able to put this behind me at some point, but I really am at a loss for words as to how much this means to me. I hope that every time you pull someone out of trouble, whether their own bad judgment or weather, or the fault of another, they are as grateful as I am right now. I keep trying to think of something I can do to maybe make it up to all of you, but it seems like the only thing I can do is to make sure that whenever I see someone in distress on the road, or in some kind of need, to do what I can, however small, to help them out of that trouble. I seriously doubt any one of your will ever need help out of a jam like this one, but I sure hope all of you will save my number, and if you ever need help, please let me give it a shot. One thing I have plenty of is time, and I can't think of anything I'd rather do with it than help or just hang out with you fellows talking Jeeps. I realize that the Libby is woefully inadequate for most of the trails you run, but until I can either get a more suitable rig, or get the Libby up to snuff, I would be delighted to ridealong on some trails and become better acquainted with all of you.

As far as the Liberty is concerned, it seems to be tracking nicely. I didn't notice any pull or malignment on the drive home. I did overheat, as most of you are aware, on the last stretch back to the pavement, but it took two gallons of coolant, and I think I will need to check and see how that got out of there. Hopefully nothing too serious, but you never can tell. It got out of there somehow. Medsker was good enough to follow me most of the way home to make sure everything was ok, (thanks, yet again) and I was able to get the plastic fender re-attached with some wire, which should hold it until the new one comes in. I will have it in the body shop later this week to see what it wil take to fix that fender, and little bit of hood, but I will take a photo of it today and post how it's looking now with the fender back on (sort of).

Once again, THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for the time off work (I heard a lot of complaining about that) the cookies and water (Timp) the expertise, the support, the hope, and just for being a great group of terrific folks. I can't remember when I have enjoyed meeting any group more, under any circumstances.

Best regards, and I hope to see all of you again soon.

Dave Wallentine

Just to clarify it wasn't Medsker that followed you home :D

I keep trying to think of something I can do to maybe make it up to all of you...

You cost the 4x4 community untold thousands of dollars in bad PR. The story of the low impact recovery and the helpful strangers will never be told on a level equal to the story of the idiot 4x4'er who travelled off designated 4x4 routes and rolled their j**p in a watershed next to a wildfire.

I just saw your name in that post. This is your neighbor Steve Jackson. I just read through all of this, and had a really nasty note to throw your way (since everyone else is being so pleasant). I'll tone it down a little.

Very bonehead, but you already know that. Rolling happens, passing legit signs of closure or restricted use shouldn't.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
...Hey Marc, did you get any shots of the valley? The view from up there ROCKED!

This is about as good as I got. I should of jumped out and snapped a couple shots by the radio towers. That's an almost 7 MB file if you want a better shot.

Attachments

• view.jpg
    view.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 49

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
In Dave's defense the signs were extremely ambiguous, everywhere we looked there was a carsonite sign blocking spur routes from the main road saying "no motorized vehicles", there was even a "No Parking" sign on one particular portion of the trail?? If you missed the signs at the second gate (which read "no recreation access") the remainder of the trail looked well traveled and opened, and given the fact all the signs the remainder of the way stated no motorized access on spur routes, one would assume the route they were on was open. I'm assuming the signs we saw were left overs of a time the route was open? And had their not been a fire the gates would have been shut?

Oh, and he didn't roll, and he wasn't in a watershed. He was on Forest property though has crossed SLC's watershed (all on existing historic routes) enroute to the FS land. The road we were on continues either down into Bountiful or another 5 miles east to Rudy's Flat and mabey as far as the Burro Mine.

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Kinda makes you wonder why they closed it. :( :( :mad:

Lack of want to manage
Neighbors not wanting high volumes of traffic in the area
You do cross SLC's watershed, they are adamant about keeping vehicles out of their watershed regardless of historic access (think Cardiff Fork)
Possibly security concerns with the amount of radio towers and repeaters in the area.
User conflicts, the area is popular with hikers and I'd assume Mtn Bikers, there was even a dog poop bag station 1/2 way to the Liberty??

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
understood ... I was trying to re-enforce what you were saying about Dave and the ambiguous nature of the situation.

Ah ha, agreed.

To be honest, I would have done the same thing when I was first into the sport... gates open, clear and present road, USGS maps stating "4WD Trail" and "Jeep Trail", aviation beacons, radio towers and mines... would have been all over it.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
...Legit and open or erroneously closed historic route?

The latter...

Early USGS maps all the way up to the mid-80's show routes all over the area, an old gun range, etc. Its a Big Cottonwood Canyon situation, or a Pittsburg Lake, or a Corner Canyon or a etc.... situation. Administratively closed routes that were in place for 50 or more years. While many of the routes are likely less than 30 years old, the Bonneville Trail (Jeep Road) that he started on was a major route in the 70's. Its now part of the Bonneville Shoreline Trail, closed to motorized access.

Its a raw deal, Dave got a ticket, he knows he deserved a ticket and I assume he will pay it without a fight. I think he came away with this with an education on land use and legal trails. In the future GoogleEarth should be cross referenced with a motorized travel plan to make sure routes are currently open.

Last edited:

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Lack of want to manage
Neighbors not wanting high volumes of traffic in the area
You do cross SLC's watershed, they are adamant about keeping vehicles out of their watershed regardless of historic access (think Cardiff Fork)
Possibly security concerns with the amount of radio towers and repeaters in the area.
User conflicts, the area is popular with hikers and I'd assume Mtn Bikers, there was even a dog poop bag station 1/2 way to the Liberty??

Yeah, that's true. I've heard epic tales of wheeling above the Avenues back in the day... and up Emigration. :(

c'est la vie!

The latter...

Early USGS maps all the way up to the mid-80's show routes all over the area, an old gun range, etc. Its a Big Cottonwood Canyon situation, or a Pittsburg Lake, or a Corner Canyon or a etc.... situation. Administratively closed routes that were in place for 50 or more years. While many of the routes are likely less than 30 years old, the Bonneville Trail (Jeep Road) that he started on was a major route in the 70's. Its now part of the Bonneville Shoreline Trail, closed to motorized access.

Ah, check. You're always so informative. How may I subscribe to your newsletter? :)