Rubicon "buggy" build...

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Also, the gear/tire combo worked out great. Before the upgrade my speedo was about 15 mph fast and now it's about 3 mph. Gas mileage is the same or at least very close - 12 mpg at 70 mph with the ac on, or 6-8 mpg with a very strong head wind. Which means I stop about every 180-200 miles for another 14-15 gallons of gas.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Looks awesome!

I see that you have your Antirock disconnected. Are you willing to sell it off if you aren't going to use it?

It's not hooked up right now, but I do intend on hooking it back up after I get the ride height dialed in. Right now I dont' think I have to buy new parts for it if I have the ride height I originally planned for. If you notice the drag link and trackbar have a lot of threads showing, all because I plan on it being at least 4" lower in the front than it is right now.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Thanks, Guys.... It may or may not be done for Price. I basically have this weekend to finish it, as I really can't do much during the week when I have my son and wife is at work. My wife and kid are also sick (just took my son to the DR), and I'm actually quite tired from the long trip. But I will work on it and hopefully finish it up. Right now I'm not counting on making it to Price. I have a 2 week trip to the Redwoods in July (a month from the Price one) that I have to have it ready by - already have the reservations made!! And I also have to get the tent trailer ready for that one (change the battery, add an isolator to the Jeep to keep it charged, etc)....

Bart

have a 2 week trip to the Redwoods in July (a month from the Price one) that I have to have it ready by - already have the reservations made!! And I also have to get the tent trailer ready for that one (change the battery, add an isolator to the Jeep to keep it charged, etc)....

Don't know what your July schedule is, but a couple of friends and I are doing Fordyce and the Rubicon in July (7th - 14th). Not too far from the Redwoods.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Don't know what your July schedule is, but a couple of friends and I are doing Fordyce and the Rubicon in July (7th - 14th). Not too far from the Redwoods.

As much as I would like to come play, I won't be able to. This vacation is for the wife mostly and she would kill me if I included several days of rock play. Besides, it's not that close! We'll be up in Fortuna, CA, which is just inside of the CA border (northern CA). We'll be there from 7/7-7/15, then we'll spend a week and head up 101 - spend some time checking out the coast... It's all area that Kathleen has never seen/been to. Admittingly, I don't have a lot of experience there either....

...Besides, mid July on the Rubicon will be hot and no shade!!

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
I think its the Idaho state 4x4 ass. run and it is in Boise. We are going to be around Idaho Falls the 29th. No wait....the state run is the 16th. We were planning our trip the 23rd but delayed it a week

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Update:
I took it wheelin' this weekend up at the Naches with a group of nut jobs from the Sunset Four Runners Club. I was rather pleased at how well it did. I took several really hard lines (buggy type)..

One was a very deep crack with a nice steep exit at the end. My first time through, my back end wasn't far enough left and when my front right tire lifted I just knew my back left would fall in the crack in and over I woudl go. So I backed out and squared up a lot better and had no problems at all crawling it.

Another really hard line had a double waterfall on it in a very steep incline (kinda like rocker knocker would be if you tried at it straight on). The first time I couldn't get my right rear up the shelf (and my oil pressure kept dropping to zero? WTF?? but anyway..), so I backed down and just as people were disperssing (thinking I had gave up), I switched directions at more of an angle and bumped it right up in one fluid motion.

The rest of the lines were all from very mild (31's an no locker needed type stuff), becuase I wanted to get a feel for the new suspension - was it going to have a lot of body roll? was it going to unload? Etc.... I found no to all accounts - very stable. No more torque roll when my rear right is under a shelf, either! Definate plus there :D

...Oh, and yes, they are nuts.... We're all sitting around the fire last night when I see a log being drug behind one of the Jeeps with a chain. Then I hear them yell 'log rides!'. Let the redneck games begin... ;) The trick here is to stay on the log the longest on the gravel road as the Jeep picks up speed. One guy ate it bad... Looked like he got in a fight with a 300# pro boxer. His face was very swollen, knees ripped up and could barely walk. Another time there were probalby 4 or 5 people on the log at once and all fell off together. Ok, let's get back on! So they all took off running to jump on it and the Jeep stopped 'unkowingly'... One guy 'rearended' the Jeep head first and another guy slammed into a parked car, football tackle style. He had to walk that one off! :D

I'll get some pics up when I can...

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Oh, the one thing that I need to look at, is the rear right tire rubs and is getting cut up by something. I see it rubbing on the corner guard (3/16" flat steel) but no where else... So that's gotta be cutting it up, too? Real quick, I crawled under with a tape and one arm is about 1/16" longer than the other and the axle isn't quite centered. I may end up making the arms longer and giving it more stretch than it has now...

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
.... We're all sitting around the fire last night when I see a log being drug behind one of the Jeeps with a chain. Then I hear them yell 'log rides!'. Let the redneck games begin... ;) The trick here is to stay on the log the longest on the gravel road as the Jeep picks up speed. One guy ate it bad... Looked like he got in a fight with a 300# pro boxer. His face was very swollen, knees ripped up and could barely walk. Another time there were probalby 4 or 5 people on the log at once and all fell off together. Ok, let's get back on! So they all took off running to jump on it and the Jeep stopped 'unkowingly'... One guy 'rearended' the Jeep head first and another guy slammed into a parked car, football tackle style. He had to walk that one off! :D

I'll get some pics up when I can...

Pics of this crap NOW! None of this "when I can..." stuff. :rofl:

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Pics of this crap NOW! None of this "when I can..." stuff. :rofl:

Problem being, that we got about an hour from home, looked at each other and said 'did you grab the camera'? So now I'm at the mercy of others that did bring them. One guy, Rich, brought a nice camera and was taking pictures of everything he could, so I'm sure he has some and I'm just waiting until he posts up his.