San Rafael Trip

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Anderson750, Cody--come on, this is going to be a kick-ass trip! Rot Box, you gotta get that jalopy mobile! My vehicle is held together with gum and baling wire!

I would love to go but I am leaving for Chicago Friday morning for some meetings. What could be better than Chicago in February?????:eek::ugh: How much are your rooms at Gilly's? I do business with them and have certificates that we have for their hotel rooms. PM me and I will give you more information.

lhracing

I haven’t been in the San Rafael area and on that trail for more than 20 years, it was an annual trip every Memorial Day weekend for years. I thought it was in the Wilderness Study Area now, not true?

kkemp

I haven’t been in the San Rafael area and on that trail for more than 20 years, it was an annual trip every Memorial Day weekend for years. I thought it was in the Wilderness Study Area now, not true?

I believe some it is WSA. Fortunately, the BLM has managed to leave some routes open through there.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
There are some areas of WSA in the Swell, but the whole thing is not a WSA. The Devils Racetrack and Eva Conover road go through the Sids Mountain WSA. Hopefully this area stays as a WSA and not Wilderness designation so the routes can stay open.

lhracing

We would have gone in through Oil Well flats, over fix-it pass to the North fork of the Coal wash and out the Devil's Racetrack. Is this an open trail? What about Eagle Canyon?

TimB

Homesick
We would have gone in through Oil Well flats, over fix-it pass to the North fork of the Coal wash and out the Devil's Racetrack. Is this an open trail? What about Eagle Canyon?

That is a great route, but probably a little much for a couple of "near stock" vehicles in the group. They could probably do it but that area is very remote to be testing your gear. Its a long tow, or a long trip out and back for parts.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I'm trying to make it I will probably be heading in on Saturday morning though and leaving Sunday morning. I'll be in an ugly white chevy truck with Huge tanks (looks like bombs) strapped to the flatbed. Flag me down if you see me. You'll probably already be hiking when I show up. Hope I can find the campsite. Anything you need me to bring?

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I'll be in an ugly white chevy truck with Huge tanks (looks like bombs) strapped to the flatbed. Flag me down if you see me.

Hope to see ya there :) Not sure about the other vehicles in the group, but I'll have an even uglier (I'm sure) Toyota Hilux--you can't miss it.

Looks like I'll hit the road after work tonight, and stay in Ferron. 60HP 20R... Soldiers summit... Heavy load of gear... If I'm not there Friday morning don't wait for me! :ugh:

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Hope to see ya there :) Not sure about the other vehicles in the group, but I'll have an even uglier (I'm sure) Toyota Hilux--you can't miss it.

Looks like I'll hit the road after work tonight, and stay in Ferron. 60HP 20R... Soldiers summit... Heavy load of gear... If I'm not there Friday morning don't wait for me! :ugh:

The ugly truck battle is on.

jet_aj

Just loosing my mind

great choice. It depends on how near stock some of the rigs are, but i was able to do this run in my 2004 toy tacoma trd double cab, stock (but trd has rear locker which i did use). careful spotting kept all the body panels straight. I did use the skid plate once or twice.

Proof that I had my Toy there

If any of the rigs are open you can expect to need to help them up in a couple spots.

Wish I could tag along but I'd get shot if I didn't show up to my own wedding on Saturday. ;) Have fun though!

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I did that series of trails in the snow with 3 wheel drive in my ZJ. I had a broken hub and no replacement.

still have no clue how the hub broke. might have been preexisting.

kkemp

great choice. It depends on how near stock some of the rigs are, but i was able to do this run in my 2004 toy tacoma trd double cab, stock (but trd has rear locker which i did use). careful spotting kept all the body panels straight. I did use the skid plate once or twice.

Proof that I had my Toy there

If any of the rigs are open you can expect to need to help them up in a couple spots.

Wish I could tag along but I'd get shot if I didn't show up to my own wedding on Saturday. ;) Have fun though!

I was there when you did that. It was interesting to watch to say the least. On top of that, the guy from your group in the classic Bronco, Ken?, almost flopped coming down the steep part.

eprobe

I might leave tonight so I can be at Gilly's at 8 a.m.. I'll be in the ugliest blue/primer black CJ-5 you have ever seen w/ a patched custom fabric top.

lhracing

It is good to know that this path is still open, I may have to plan a trip in the near future. This is one of my all time favorites, I wish I could come along.