Show Us Your PROJECTS!

DAA

I built this over the weekend.

20140420_191106W.jpg

Going to try growing some veggies in it this summer.

- DAA

MikeGyver

UtahWeld.com
Here's a project I'm putting together for a guy.
It's a home brewing setup. It's going to have three 30 gallon pots on it and a bunch of pumps and valve and other cool manly stuff. I talked him into using pre-brushed 304 stainless 1.5" sqaure .065" wall tubing and TIG welding it all.

Did some quick FEA analysis on the basic frame to ensure it'll hold the 800 pound load with acceptable deflection, and determine if/where diagonals should be used.

brewstand2_zps2ab51024.jpg

brewstand_zps288aec04.jpg

Study showing 3/32" max defection with a 2000lb top surface load.

WP_20140421_001_zps43c6de31.jpg

temporary_zps31fe358d.jpg

temporary_zps2251da1a.jpg

temporary_zps8968804d.jpg

temporary_zps8be5442b.jpg

temporary_zpsbaa05d82.jpg

WP_20140423_002_zpsa34a63a0.jpg

WP_20140422_017_zpsc952e931.jpg

WP_20140423_007_zps9970ca63.jpg

It's turning out super rigid. I was jumping up and down in the middle of the frame, it felt as solid as a rock, no deflection whatsoever.

DAA

MikeGyver is doing some awful nice work that is for sure!

I like the repurposing on the cheap too though.

Like I said earlier, just a whole lot of talent and skill you guys have.

- DAA

XJEEPER

Here are some recent past ones:

Old Atlas/Craftsman drill press, cleaned up and added a home-built pulley reduction system to drill steel more effectively.

View attachment 90680

View attachment 90677

This old block grinder (the name coined because of the shape but the enthusiasts of these machines) was dropped by a previous owner and was damaged. I got it back into shape and added a Jacobs chuck to it as well as a flap wheel. I love this machine, now.

View attachment 90678

Here's another 1/2 hp block that had been neglected. I cleaned it up and put it back to use.

View attachment 90679

I inherited one of these Craftsman block grinders from my grandpa, it needs the switch replaced because its getting buggy, but the grinder is awesome. Still has the tool rests and shields on it too.

Zac001

Started on making a pond/waterfall deal in the front yard.... still waiting on the foliage and a bridge to cover the gap at the top.. but should be dont this weekend!

Attachments

• front yard 1.jpg
    front yard 1.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 37
  • front yard 2.jpg
    front yard 2.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 38

cjncustoms

Here's a little project I'm building at work. It's a stand for 2 electrical boxes that sit side by side. The stands will mount on the top and middle rungs of a hand rail and the boxes will be flush with the front of the hand rail. Made 2 of them this week. The stand is built from 2x2x.120 stainless. Stick welded. I don't stick very often so don't not pic my welds to much;)

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I had a bit of down time last week and, as luck would have it, picked up a little job. Normally I have a pretty strict "4 wheel drive" only mentality, but this sounded pretty fun. The customer had a pretty solid idea for a fireplace mantel that he wanted. He brought me all the material and I went to town on it. It's way heavier then it should be, but he wanted to use thick material, to make the different levels really stand out. These are the only pics I took, but you'll get the idea. He's going to blast it and then use a chemical that turns it blue. I don't know much about that part. My wife said it has the looks of an old treasure chest. I liked that idea, then thought I would blast it and then leave it out in the rain for a week or two then clear coat it. Make it look like we found it at the bottom of the ocean.
Anyways, it was a fun, quick project. Really, I should do these kind more often.

IMG_20140428_200452.jpg

IMG_20140502_194652.jpg

muleskinner

I had a bit of down time last week and, as luck would have it, picked up a little job. Normally I have a pretty strict "4 wheel drive" only mentality, but this sounded pretty fun. The customer had a pretty solid idea for a fireplace mantel that he wanted. He brought me all the material and I went to town on it. It's way heavier then it should be, but he wanted to use thick material, to make the different levels really stand out. These are the only pics I took, but you'll get the idea. He's going to blast it and then use a chemical that turns it blue. I don't know much about that part. My wife said it has the looks of an old treasure chest. I liked that idea, then thought I would blast it and then leave it out in the rain for a week or two then clear coat it. Make it look like we found it at the bottom of the ocean.
Anyways, it was a fun, quick project. Really, I should do these kind more often.

View attachment 91220

View attachment 91221

That's pretty cool. What did you use for the "rivets'' or whatever they are?

I'm guessing he's using one of those chemicals you can buy at Wasatch Steel that give it the hot metal look or something similar.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Used large carriage bolts with washers. Instead of holding them in place with a nut I just held them and welded the threads to the inside. This way some of the washers are a bit loose and spin, making it look like the "rivets" are old and waring out.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Working on building an awards podium for UVU. It is my first time welding aluminum. I really like how the spool gun welds, though it did take some getting used to. I am really enjoying learning something new.

In the close up pic it looks like holes, but they aren't it is just where it wasn't cleaned after welding as well as it should have been.

Some issues I ran into. The first time I loaded the wire into the spool gun it was pretty hard. The wire is so soft. Another thing is welding technique had to change. You can't drag with aluminum you have to push. Also, I found out you can't do the whole stitch method or stack dimes. You have to use a technique called washing(at least that is what the welder that told me called it) Basically, as you are pushing forward the weld puddle you move left to right alternating sides. On a flat straight weld it isn't needed. On that you just push forward and pause, then push forward and pause.

Next I have to skin the front and part of the sides with aluminum and then put stickers on for the WAC championships.

Attachments

• close up weld aluminum.jpg
    close up weld aluminum.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 47
  • stands .jpg
    stands .jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 40

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
I started bending up tube half doors for the JK last night... I have to get them done so I can pass tech at old school without my full doors.

MikeGyver

UtahWeld.com
Here's a little mini project I did that turned out nice.
I'm starting to offer more of these LED upgrades for gauge clusters (as well as repairing them).

One of my cars had terrible looking incandescent bulbs for backlighting on the gauge cluster, and they only got more and more yellowish as you dimmed them.
I took the cluster apart and soldered in crisp, clean looking, white LEDs for the backlights, green for the turn signals, and blue for the high beam indicator. I also colored the face of the needles orange (they were pure white).
The difference is impressive; the car literally feels nicer and newer now since the gauge is the only part of the car you really see at night. And the gauges stay pure white as I dim them now.

These comparison pictures were taken with the same shutter speed, aperture, ISO, and white balance settings, so it is an accurate representation.

gaugebefore-after_zps6af6b8b5.jpg

:thumbs:

Last edited:

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
I'm starting to offer more of these LED upgrades for gauge clusters (as well as repairing them).

One of my cars had terrible looking incandescent bulbs for backlighting on the gauge cluster, and they only got more and more yellowish as you dimmed them.
I took the cluster apart and soldered in crisp, clean looking, white LEDs for the backlights, green for the turn signals, and blue for the high beam indicator. I also colored the face of the needles orange (they were pure white).
The difference is impressive; the car literally feels nicer and newer now since the gauge is the only part of the car you really see at night. And the gauges stay pure white as I dim them now.

These comparison pictures were taken with the same shutter speed, aperture, ISO, and white balance settings, so it is an accurate representation.

Looks nice!

Does it require special LEDs to have the dimmer function properly?

Jesser04

gaugebefore-after_zps6af6b8b5.jpg

What would you charge to do 2007 silverado?