Side by sides in Moab

jgb

They look like a bunch of "mini me's" but I am surprised how capable they are.

I think they look fun! I do agree on the mini me :rofl:

It's not the size that matters but how you use it.....
1.gif

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
As long as they stay on the trail, more power to them.

I'll agree with this.

I'm sure that if I drove one I would like it. Maybe I just don't like the look of them? I know, sounds dumb.

So how much money is Polaris & Honda putting into our land use funds? I hope it's a lot. ;)

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
My brother has a Rhino, and at first I really hated them and couldn't believe he would spend that kind of money on something like that... After a few rides in one I have finally excepted them--actually really like them. I think that in the wrong hands they could be extremely dangerous. I know I've been in a few situations that really upped the pucker factor :ugh:

Even for half the retail cost I still couldn't justify buying one. The money to fun factor is way off balance imo.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
I think they do work awesome from what I have seen. They are super apable right out of the box. Which sort of scares me with newbies driving. But it's just like everything new on an old trail to you it fun. I think tanking a wheel barrow up moab rim would be fun;) Or driving a bumper car on the street would be fun

jgb

They just always look like a souped up golf cart. :ugh:
I think thats what bugs me about them.

Let me see,

"souped up" golf carts, nope, I do not see a resemblance.....in fact these look more like some of the vehicles here.....

Attachments

• jeep-wrangler-electric-golf-cart.jpg
    jeep-wrangler-electric-golf-cart.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 3
  • golf-monster-golf-cart.JPG
    golf-monster-golf-cart.JPG
    25.3 KB · Views: 5

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
They look like they would be fun for a short period, I honestly think their popularity is a fad, time will tell. For my uses they are completely impractical, not steet-legal, tiny payload, not up to par for self-supported travel. For a destination like Moab, looks killer, but then in Moab I would much rather be on my bike.

There are some serious concerns with any ATV subgroup including side by sides when it comes to land use and a sound outdoor/offroad ethic. Its not so much the user attitudes, rather its just so easy to go buy (or rent) and ATV and head to the hills with zero influence or education on proper etiquette. 4x4 users have the same issues albeit on a much smaller scale, and its a genera concensus that the anti-motorized cohorts have much less issues with street-legal full-sizes vehicles (such as a Jeep or pickup) than they do with "noisy", "out of control", "uninsured" ATV's. So many factors behind this influence obviously, legally allowing under-16 operators, etc.

The fact is the ATV community isn't 10% as organized as the 4x4 community, and the 4x4 community is only 10% as organized as they need to be. You do the math.

Total guestimate here, but if you were to survey 100 4x4 users at a random trailhead, my guess is 60 of them would be active to some degree with a club or forum (such as RME). 80 of them would at least be familiar with a different club or the U4WDA. The ATV users are seemingly far more disenfranchised, take the same number (100) of ATV users and my guess is that under 40 would even realize their are clubs in Utah for ATV's, likely less?

I'm by no means faulting the ATV associations or clubs, they do a great job when they can get an audience, much like U4WDA does a killer job given their budget, manpower and audience. Its just my belief that a 4x4 user is far more likely to get involved with a club or Association, the roster numbers are proof alone. Getting an audience is a huge issue, the 4x4 contention has a lot more opportunities. While there are quite a few ATV Jamboree type events throughout the state, as well as organized group rides, my guess is that they don't even hold a candle to the amount of 4x4 organized events. Moab for example has over 30 large 4x4 organized events, EJS, Land Cruiser specific, FJC specific, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, Samurai, Nissan, Explorers, early Bronco, Blazer, etc, then think of all the club runs, all over the state. Again, far more opportunities that are still under utilized.

Last edited:

jgb

Omitting manufacturer specific forums

For the "full sized" you have (this is an overview):

Pirate 4x4
Race-dezert
4Wheel offroad
Fourwheeler
Offroad.com
etal
Regional forums such as RME, etc

For the SxS/ATV's you have (this is an overview):

atvconnection
atvquadsquad
highlifter
atvfrontier
sidexsideforum
etal
Regional forums such as Glamis.com, Dumont riders, Riding Arizona, atvutah, etc

I would say the forums are about equal with equal participation. And some of these forums do have overlap with full size sections or SxS/ATV sections.

Last edited:

jgb

Total guestimate here, but if you were to survey 100 4x4 users at a random trailhead, my guess is 60 of them would be active to some degree with a club or forum (such as RME). 80 of them would at least be familiar with a different club or the U4WDA. The ATV users are seemingly far more disenfranchised, take the same number (100) of ATV users and my guess is that under 40 would even realize their are clubs in Utah for ATV's, likely less?

Lets put another spin on your post.

If you were to survey 100 4x4 owners at random in SLC, how many do you think ACTUALLY drives offroad? :eek:

Now survey 100 atv/sxs owners at random in SLC, how many do you think ACTUALLY drives off road? :D