Side by sides in Moab

Wow! What a thread!!!

I'm psyched that my bro-in-law bought a SxS (is that what they call them?) Now he's gonna be able to go "jeepin" with me. In the process, he'll probably learn a little trail etiquette. He's kind of a turnkey guy that wouldn't spend the time/energy to outfit a jeep, even though I've offered to guide him through the process.

I've been pretty ambivalent about them, mainly cuz they cost more than I want to spend on that form of recreation (not a lot of money left after house, food, gymnastics, piano, wrestling, cabin, jeep, excursion, minivan, basement, braces, etc). They look fun, and I'm happy my bro bought one.

I think the potential exists for "newbie" owners of SxS's, ATV's or Jeep Rubicons to point-and-go with out really thinking about the impact.

My opinion is also that newbie owners of 4x4's *think* that they will go off highway whereas most newbie owners of ATV's actually do.

I also think that some of us are arguing that oranges are orange and some are arguing that apples are red but we all know that the best ones are green.

the Mav ;)

Bucking Bronco

That was a good one. Just curious if you have something against someone who can afford an American made "out of the box" buggy?

As I am someone who will go to several different stores in an attempt to purchase products made in the USA. I am curious. What USA company is producing “out of the box" buggys.

sandahauler

Support Take Back Utah
I spent the weekend with this group (about 15 utv's) in November. Could not find anyone to go Jeep'n with me so I went with them. I know all of the people in the video and have been sand duning with them for many years. They are very careful about staying on the trails, etc.

I do agree that with the large population of atv's and utv's, education is a must.

Here is a link of pics and vids...if you care...and I am the only Jeep (big rig) in the group.

http://www.sidexsideforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=1240

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I spent the weekend with this group (about 15 utv's) in November. Could not find anyone to go Jeep'n with me so I went with them. I know all of the people in the video and have been sand duning with them for many years. They are very careful about staying on the trails, etc.

I believe the majority of them absolutely are careful, especially when combined with groups where peer enforcement is huge. Its a lot easier to tell your buddy to get his butt back on the trail than some random stranger, regardless of what your riding, driving, etc. Glad to seem them representing users in a sound manner! :cool:

my4thjeep

I think this is an interesting debate.

After 16 years in the Utah Jeep scene I bought myself a 4 wheeler. I had purchased a new jeep and was ready to lift it but gas was just too expensive to lift my new JK 4 door. I decided to take that money instead and buy a couple of 4 wheelers.

Over the summer I spent almost every Friday morning up AF canyon on my ATV. I saw a variety of the infractions from both sides. When I was able I tried to educate. What I found most appalling is any contact I had on my atv with the full size 4x4 crowd was negative. There was so much negative directed towards me and my atv that I stopped riding in AF canyon. I was screamed at by a RME member (I saw his photos posted for his trail run is how I know) for the fact that he almost ran me over on the hairpin turn claiming I was riding too fast when really i had stopped and was on the side of the road to allow him to pass. HE was flying down that hair pin. He told me he was with the Trail Patrol and he would call the Forest Service and Sheriff come deal with me. I told him lets do it. I have never been treated that way in my jeeps.

Another time I was about to start the Forest Lake trail when I ran into some teen age boys (15-16)who had flooded one of their atvs and couldn't get it out of the stream. I had a strap with me and offered to pull it out so he could get it running again. His atv was blocking the entrance to the stream from the Forest Lake side. Just as I offered a group of full size wheelers was coming down the trail from the lake. They had to wait about 5 minutes while I turned around hooked up the strap and pulled the guy out. The kids were inexperienced so there was some training to get it strapped and what would happen as I pulled them out. Great Learning/Teaching Opportunity. The group got impatient and tried to pass us in the water going around us and causing us to take longer. As each of them passed they had something inflammatory to say to me and these kids. When I arrived at Forest Lake I was chastised again by some of the full size crowd for "ruining the trails." (Another RME'r Keep posting your trip photos)

I have three other incidents similar to these since last May. You might think that I was out provoking these guys. I was not. I was on the trail every time. When I am out in the wilds of Utah I try to avoid others if at all possible. I don't liked to be bugged when I'm out there so I try not to bother others.

My point...
You should be careful of your biases against the other off roading communities. We should unite and be on the same team trying to educate and preserve our land rights not bash one another and blame people for the problems. There is plenty of blame to go around.