Political So now what

Political discussions within

Houndoc

You have clearly never been poor enough, this statement is just plain stupid. Trust me, coming from abject poverty and being white quite possibly presents more barriers. For starters, some asshole is always telling you how much privilege and advantage you enjoy, and the system is rigged to give anyone who is not a white male preference to education and social benefit programs (you know, because I am white and privileged).

I sincerely hope that no one here or their family ever know what it is like to live in truly desperate poverty, but I can promise you a lack of opportunity is rooted in socioeconomics, not race.

Cody already replied very clearly to this- poverty is indeed a barrier regardless of race, but race is often a barrier regardless of poverty or lack there of.

I guess if we learn anything from that video it is that we as parents must do everything in our power to give our children the greatest chance for success. Do what we can to be/stay married. Dads be there for your kids. We must teach them that they can (and must) be better in all aspects of life than we are. We must teach them that they are responsible for their own actions. That working hard is a fact of life. That there is no place in life for criminal activity.

Seems to me, any child of any color can enjoy white privilege. No doubt there are plenty of black kids that had more white privilege than me.
Sad to say we have not reached a state in the US where all races are treated equally.

It is easy to forget how recently racism was the law of the land in the US. The reality is that people roughly my age (52, MLK was assassinated about 6 months before I was born) are the first ones born as legal barriers to race where eliminated with the successes of the Civil Rights movement. While we know very well not everyone was "racists" (as in KKK), racial bias was of course widespread, much worse in some regions than others.

As with anything, passing a few new laws does not change attitudes or beliefs. We also often see backlash against change. So, many people of my generation would certainly still have been influenced by the pre-civil rights era attitudes. Even if each generation improves, it takes time for biases to be eliminated.

In the same way, those affected by segregation are not going to experience a rapid change. Just as those same laws didn't change all beliefs and attitudes, they did not result in immediate elimination of barriers. It is very reasonable to expect it to take several generations for the impacts of past blatant racism to be overcome.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
What is the over under on whether it will be President Harris by this time next year? Pictures from his “press conference “ are coming out and it backs up the scripted nature of it. Here are his notes showing pics of the reporters and their pre selected questions.
71B94417-7AD0-4044-98C8-1221C5658675.jpeg

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Yea I watched the news conference, it wasn't great... As long as the puppet can move and dance I think they will leave him there. I don't know who's pulling the strings at this point but I don't think Joe is in charge.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
That press conference was hard to watch and the freakin' media just continued to pamper and cater to him. Even when he didn't math well the media calmly inquired to give him a chance to correct himself. :mad2:

The media's bias is SOOOOOO obvious but those who listen to them continue to repeat the diatribe.

Sad state of affairs and just wait until Harris takes the office.........

xjtony

You guys understand how the 25th amendment works correct? The presedent can be removed from power by the VP and majority of the cabinet, but in order for the VP to hold the presedency it requires a 2/3 majority vote from congress. In this case there is no way that happens. Unless there is a huge blue wave in the midterms there is no point for them to try and replace him. Im a bit unclear as to the process if the 2/3 is not reached and need to research that, but Harris would not just get to be POTUS for the rest of the term without being confirmed

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
You guys understand how the 25th amendment works correct? The presedent can be removed from power by the VP and majority of the cabinet, but in order for the VP to hold the presedency it requires a 2/3 majority vote from congress. In this case there is no way that happens. Unless there is a huge blue wave in the midterms there is no point for them to try and replace him. Im a bit unclear as to the process if the 2/3 is not reached and need to research that, but Harris would not just get to be POTUS for the rest of the term without being confirmed
Doesn’t have to be removed if he’s sedated in an old folks home with a feeding tube

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor

Thanks for the information. I knew of the 25th Amendment but missed the part about there needing to be a 2/3 majority.

That being said, with the poor representation from our Republican house lately, I'm still worried.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep

it’s been a while since I looked into it all, but I believe the VP and the presidents cabinet can remove him from office. If the president argues that he is still fit for office, then it takes 2/3 of congress to remove him. But if he doesn’t put up a fight just the VP and his own cabinet and remove him.
So in the case of a hospital bed person with a feeding tube, it doesn’t take an act of Congress. However to have removed President Trump would have taken 2/3 of Congress.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I have been thinking about what you wrote @Pike2350 and I believe people want both.
This is my understanding. There's a graphic going around that has three people standing outside a fence on boxes and it talks about being treated equally (all get the same height box, which isn't enough for the short one to see over the fence) and being treated equitably (which sees each of them get a box high enough to see over the fence).

I'm all about equality and even equity when it comes to opportunity. I don't like the idea of equity of outcome. There needs to be incentive to produce.

xjtony

@jeeper we will have to do some research. We dont have a ton of historical precedent to go on. There appear to be separate rules depending on which section is invoked.

Section 1- POTUS death or resignation. No confirmation. This is the only way that I can find for sure that they could force her through. I dont think Biden will willingly resigned.

Section 2- deals with VP vacancy. Interesting side note, Ford is the only man to become both VP and POTUS without being elected. He was confirmed as VP under section 2 when Agnew resigned and then sworn into the presedency when Nixon resigned.

Section 3- this is where everyone is foucused right now. I dont see any wording allowing the sitting POTUS to dispute. This section has only ever been used for temporary purposes due to injury or illness. It also clearly states that the VP will be ACTING president and must be confirmed by Congress.

Section 4 has never been invoked but was considered twice (Reagan and Trump).

Its interesting stuff. Like I said I dont see Biden willingly resigning, but stranger things have happened.

Noahfecks

El Destructo!
This is my understanding. There's a graphic going around that has three people standing outside a fence on boxes and it talks about being treated equally (all get the same height box, which isn't enough for the short one to see over the fence) and being treated equitably (which sees each of them get a box high enough to see over the fence).

I'm all about equality and even equity when it comes to opportunity. I don't like the idea of equity of outcome. There needs to be incentive to produce.
Subtle differences in the English language, they sound the same but,

Equal means the same chance or opportunity
Equity means the same outcome

Notice the buzzword is always equity now and never equality.

Opportunity is often(almost always?) a function of effort, so you cant have equity of opportunity, although I think I get what you meant.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
‘Person flying it is a racist,’ Utah Black Lives Matter says of those who fly American flag

Soooo... I realize that this is going to stir the pot a bit; but frankly this is a bridge to far. I fly Old Glory on Memorial Day, Flag Day, Independence Day, and Veterans Day because thats what one does to honor the country and the people who sacrificed to give us the freedom to say stupid shit. Do morons use the flag in inappropriate ways? Sure! Do openly racists retards fly the flag in some misguided "signaling", that wouldn't surprise me. But is it a universal symbol of hatred and oppression? Absolutely not!
No symbol has ever stood for freedom more than the Stars and Stripes. No country has ever been more open to new peoples, cultures, and ideas than these United States. And boy, I am getting real tired of hearing the opposite. You've got to be pretty uneducated on the history of our nation to think otherwise. That, or you really just want to tear the country apart for short term gain.