Political So now what

Political discussions within

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
She said, "no", and I explained that the only racism in her life is that which is evoked by others who want to utilize it for their gain. Either political or financial.

I'm sure I just can't see it because of my privilage though. :rolleyes:
Consciously, I think most people aren't racist, but I would bet that a lot of people harbor racists ideas without even thinking about it and without any malicious intent. People learn the world through their community (It's called social construction), and most of us in our adult years were raised by people that grew up in a world with segregation or in churches that treated people of color like second class members. We can't help but to have little obscure chunks of that passed on through us. That doesn't make you bad, but in some instances, that also doesn't make you not-racist lol. Like, in my 20's when my Mother met my then girlfriend who was Haitian. She says "gosh, she's really pretty for a black girl!". My Mom wasn't trying to be mean, or racist. It was meant to be nice, but still racist AF. It's little things like that that seem innocent but are laced with pre-conceived ideas of color.

I'm sure I've asked this before, but in your neighborhood, on your street, if a large black man was walking down the street with a rifle, do you think they would be viewed the same as a large white man walking down the street in the same clothes with the same rifle? If there was a woman wearing a hijab buying groceries, do you think the local huns are going to invite her to their essential oil party? Offer her some freeze dried skittles?

Hell, on Halloween there was a Polynesian house that was roasting a suckling pig in their driveway over coals. They were in the front yard, having a great time, handing out candy, and turning the spit with the pig on it. I thought it was cool as shit and they were inviting everyone in the neighborhood to come eat later. My friends that we were trick or treating with were on the phone with some neighbors trying to decide if they should call the police on them since it was just so completely inappropriate. My friends aren't "racist" people, but in that neighborhood that particular house looked different and made the other neighbors uncomfortable. I'd be willing to bet if I was out roasting that same pig in that neighborhood, nobody would have thought twice about it.

I'm not saying in any way you are racist, but I would disagree with your assessment of privilege. Living in a community that is full of people that look, act, think, talk, and worship like you and is policed by people like you, is a privilege. Someone who doesn't look like you would experience your community very differently. So personally I think it's a disservice to teach our children that there is no racism in their world. I think it's far better to explain to them that our world and our country unfortunately has a pretty racist past, and that was wrong, and that we should always look within ourselves to be more accepting of others and all of their differences.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I think we have all hashed this out many times, and I know I have read these same words from Cody before. While I don't think he is wrong, I don't know that he is right either.

IMO, Different causes concern. When the black salesmen are walking down my street, I think I do have more concern than when the white salesmen walk down my street. I hate them both.. but I do tense a little more with the black guys. I see exactly 3 black guys a year.. so when I see one, its unusual. It's out of place, and gets more attention. I have only ever had altercations and police with the white guy though.

However, when I am in a predominately black or hispanic neighborhood, I am out of place. I feel awkward. I get different looks. I am treated as an odd person. Is it racism against the white guy? I don't think so. It's unusual, and simply draws additional attention.

Also, as a white guy often driving slow through predominately white wealthy neighborhoods, I also get a lot of attention for being out of place. 'Why is this guy driving slow, why is he talking pictures, why is he here?' I have been yelled at and chased. These people obviously aren't racist against me, we are both white. But I am out of place. I am being different and unusual. This causes concern. Now, make me Black, and I would have hundreds of stories about racism against me.. although it never actually happened.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I think we have all hashed this out many times, and I know I have read these same words from Cody before. While I don't think he is wrong, I don't know that he is right either.

IMO, Different causes concern. When the black salesmen are walking down my street, I think I do have more concern than when the white salesmen walk down my street. I hate them both.. but I do tense a little more with the black guys. I see exactly 3 black guys a year.. so when I see one, its unusual. It's out of place, and gets more attention. I have only ever had altercations and police with the white guy though.

However, when I am in a predominately black or hispanic neighborhood, I am out of place. I feel awkward. I get different looks. I am treated as an odd person. Is it racism against the white guy? I don't think so. It's unusual, and simply draws additional attention.

Also, as a white guy often driving slow through predominately white wealthy neighborhoods, I also get a lot of attention for being out of place. 'Why is this guy driving slow, why is he talking pictures, why is he here?' I have been yelled at and chased. These people obviously aren't racist against me, we are both white. But I am out of place. I am being different and unusual. This causes concern. Now, make me Black, and I would have hundreds of stories about racism against me.. although it never actually happened.
I think the point is judging anyone for how they look isn't good, and we don't always do it consciously. Doesn't mean it's right and doesn't mean we have to let it perpetuate.

In communities of color, it is racism towards you too. They don't trust you, and probably for a variety of both good and manufactured reasons.

I have lots of stories, we don't need to hash them out again as you have mentioned, but I recall one in particular. Me and my family used to go to Burley Idaho for the boat races every summer for probably 20 years. I used to love watching the K boats up there...was my favorite part of the summer. I brought Fabiola with me one year, and I've never felt so awkward. Everyone seemed to notice us together and it's not because she was way better looking than me. Everyone would look like I was doing something wrong. So I felt a small sliver of what many people of color experience in a lot of communities. So for someone who doesn't have to deal with that to say that it doesn't exist, I guess that's why I get so typity typity about it. It does exist, I've seen it and been a part of it in a small way myself. Dismissing it doesn't change it.

Anyway, sorry for hijacking. Not trying to be a dick. I also use super glue because they don't make

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
And again I agree, yet disagree. We have to live our lives in a way that keeps ourselves safe. A large part of that is making quick decisions based on how people look. If it's late at night down town and I am getting fuel at a station, and I see a man dressed in a suit walking straight towards me, I am going to be slightly cautious, but not overly dramatic.
Same situation, but a guy in rough cloths, uncut hair, and missing teeth.. I will verbally let him know that I see him coming, and that he should walk a distance away from me.
They both may have been walking right past me to the station for a soda.. but I am going to react differently based on appearance.

If your pants are down below your butt cheeks, you are walking with a swagger, and you have your hoodie up... you may not be up to much. But the image you are portraying says otherwise based on social norms. Maybe social norms are 'bad'.. but they are there because of experience and repetition.

But I agree with you, skin color should not be the factor.

I think the point is judging anyone for how they look isn't good, and we don't always do it consciously. Doesn't mean it's right and doesn't mean we have to let it perpetuate.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I brought the Rittenhouse trial up with my coworker who thinks he should convicted of something, no matter what. His explanation when I've asked is that he had no reason to bring a gun there and he was looking for trouble. I couldn't help but ask how he feels about women who dress provocatively and get raped? I fail to see the difference between exercising your rights to dress any way you want (including a firearm accessory) and be free from being assaulted.
If Kyle was a black kid and it was white old neighbor watch dudes chasing him to shoot him in the back, I think this trial would be going very differently.

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
Bottom line; You can not force people to change overnight therefore instant integration will not work. If you need proof just look at the United States.
By the way it will happen but government should not force it on us.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member

So now I’ll have stuff in my car watching me all the time and reminding me to check my backseat for the children I don’t have. Love big government imposition. Guess I need to get a newer car before all this garbage gets mandated. Not sure I’ll want to own anything manufactured after 2025

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member

So now I’ll have stuff in my car watching me all the time and reminding me to check my backseat for the children I don’t have. Love big government imposition. Guess I need to get a newer car before all this garbage gets mandated. Not sure I’ll want to own anything manufactured after 2025
Everything in the sky is a government drone.

I said it. You're one of THEM!