spring over

redrock

ok now we all talk sway arm and jungle jim to death on with the new topic SPRING OVER LIFT KITS has any of you ever done this and how well did it perform for you :D

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Done it on many rigs...the only way to go for a good off-road performer besides a custom eliptic/coil setup IMHO... If It was a more than 80% on-road and 20% offroad...I may stay SUA. Most of the ones I have done are FJ40's, they seem to benefit alot from a quality springover/shackle reversal. I did help do a couple of jeep ones, a YJ and a Willy's. Both of them were way happy with it... I wouldn't hesitate to do it but plan on spending alot more than just some perches...

steering mods...
driveline mods...
brake lines...
lower gears for those bigger tires...
bigger tires because the small ones look funny...

Just alot of small things... :D

EDIT: I had previously stated that I had helped do a SO on a XJ...I meant to say YJ...thanks for the spot Vonski:D

Last edited:

2BIGTJ

RUKKASTIXX Motorsports
I have done it on a lot of jeeps and I would not do anything else. with the proper supports it is ever bit as good on the road as well as offif you need any help pm me and give me your numberI would be happy to tell you some ideas. I did a CJ -7 that flexed over 1000 rti and it was my DD with no problems

Vonski

nothing to see here...
Originally posted by cruiseroutfit
I did help do a couple of jeep ones, a XJ and a Willy's. Both of them were way happy with it...

If I buy an XJ, will you do my spring-over for me Kurt? BWAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA :D

Vonski

nothing to see here...
Don't forget to budget in a good rear traction bar when doing your SOA. Hell, you could use one up front, but it's not nearly as critical.

xjc

I give up :(
Let me tell you, my cherokee was really low with the spring under in the back. Even with two inch springs I could only fit 135 75 13's. :p

My favorite spoa is the zj. But its not good without the shackle reversal.

jk

SPOA is the only way to use leaf's

xjc

I give up :(
Good question:confused:

Spring is just an important word so it gets two letters. Thats just how I have seen it written in the past. SOA does make more sence but I like the sound of "spoa" much better.

EZRhino

KalishnaKitty
"P" is for poopie, that's good enough for me........."

Oh wait a minute, that's "C" is for cookie, nevermind.

EZ (too much sesame street lately)

troutbum

cubi-kill
Originally posted by redrock
ok now we all talk sway arm and jungle jim to death on with the new topic SPRING OVER LIFT KITS has any of you ever done this and how well did it perform for you :D

Doesn't a kit consist of a pile a steel, a welder and a grinder???? ;)

cyberduke

Hairy Bagel
I've done a SPOA on my Scrambler w/ Wrangler springs. I've been able to get one tire on top of a Jersey Barrier before. And not tip over too!

Vonski

nothing to see here...
Originally posted by jp008

S--pring
P--pad or perch
O--ver
A--xle

Hey, thats not bad Jim. I think I actually know where it originated though. It's a term that Glenn Wakefield started using "back in tha day" (and is still a part of his company's catalog/website). I don't think he intended the "P" to stand for anything, it just sounded better than "SOA". What cracks me up is that people always pronounced it "spoe-ah". LOL :D

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Funny everyone here calls it SOA or SPOA...I have always called it a SO (spring over)...seems like alot of guys on the POR list call it SO also...kindve funny how people pick up on stuff like that and pass it on...:D