spring over

redrock

ok i have been doing a lot of reading and know what i want to do but i have 2 questions one is i still don't get the steering can you buy a pitman arm and that do it. that kinda what i have gotten out of what i have been reading. and the second one is when searching for the 8.8 axle do you thing i am going to buy gears to match or do you all think the explorer will match if i look hard enough?

redrock

Originally posted by redrock
ok i have been doing a lot of reading and know what i want to do but i have 2 questions one is i still don't get the steering can you buy a pitman arm and that do it. that kinda what i have gotten out of what i have been reading. and the second one is when searching for the 8.8 axle do you thing i am going to buy gears to match or do you all think the explorer will match if i look hard enough?
or does anyone have any pics for me to see the steering thanks

Caleb

well yes you can go the pitman arm route but I would suggest to ATLEAST have you knuckles retapered so you can run the tie rod on top of your factory knuckles..this will help a lot...if you want to really do it right IMO high steer is in order...wether it be an axle swap or custom stuff I think high steer is the only cure for the steering problems...a pitman arm will help align you steering geometry again but to me it is just disguising the problem not fixing it...

redrock

i see now my buddy has a early bronco and he did that i wonder if its the samething as he did then i can get him to show me thats for the help

Caleb

Originally posted by redrock
i see now my buddy has a early bronco and he did that i wonder if its the samething as he did then i can get him to show me thats for the help

It depends...EBs came with both D30 and D44...If you still ahve your stock axles then it would be a D30 up front and they aren;t as easy to do high steer with...lots of custom work...if he has a D44 up front then it is mostly a bolt on thing for him...I'm sure he could help you though...

redrock

Originally posted by supergper

It depends...EBs came with both D30 and D44...If you still ahve your stock axles then it would be a D30 up front and they aren;t as easy to do high steer with...lots of custom work...if he has a D44 up front then it is mostly a bolt on thing for him...I'm sure he could help you though...
now that you say that it is just a bolt on thing he just had some heavy duty tie rods made and put them on i remember now. whats your thought on if i did the pit arm for now is that going to be a pain to drive on the freeways and of road or is it something that should be done along with the rest?

Last edited:

rockraven

If you're doing alot of creek beds/bouldering spring overs are ok. If you're climbing alot like farmington,moab, then you're going to hop. Hopping means breakage. But cheap is good.

Caleb

Originally posted by rockraven
If you're doing alot of creek beds/bouldering spring overs are ok. If you're climbing alot like farmington,moab, then you're going to hop. Hopping means breakage. But cheap is good.

When you know what you are talking about then feel free to speak...until then sit back and learn...if a SOA is done properly(including anti-wrap bar) then you wont get any hop...I only saw 1 vehicle this whole weekend at St. george UROC that was SUA and that was only in the front...the rear was coils...:D:p

redrock

Originally posted by rockraven
why? these guy in RME have never said anything about hop. what makes a spring over any differance then coils? i think every guy that has a sami and some of the jeeps have SOA

BBowski82

What are you looking at?
Originally posted by supergper
well yes you can go the pitman arm route but I would suggest to ATLEAST have you knuckles retapered so you can run the tie rod on top of your factory knuckles..this will help a lot...

I think you may be mistaken here...the knuckles are already tapped to run the tie rod on top. That won't work with SOA, you have to have your knuckles retapered to run the tierod on bottom. Like mine here--------

BBowski82

What are you looking at?
my steering has worked fine so far. I used 1.25 .250 wall DOM to make my links, and all is good. Of course, I plan on going to HI steer eventually, but....

redrock

Originally posted by BBowski82
my steering has worked fine so far. I used 1.25 .250 wall DOM to make my links, and all is good. Of course, I plan on going to HI steer eventually, but....
i just went and looked and on my 88 wrangler its the same as your pic shows it's a D 30 don't the cj come with the D20 or was that just earlier model my dad has a 72 thats what his is the D 20. but if that would work for a while this summer i am going to find me 8.8 and a SYE and the SOA just need some pic or ideas on the front steering now

Last edited:

BBowski82

What are you looking at?
My axle is a Dana 44 out of a Scout. but I am running CJ dana 30 knuckles(turning radius) My 30 knuckles had to be retapered upon spring over, but that was because I am running 3/4 ton TRE's now.

redrock

now i have another stuiped question since my steering set up like yours in that picture i could just do the pit arm drop and be ok for a while not perm. some of the guys on here said the D30 would be ok not the best of choices. i think finding front and a rearend going to be tough anyways

BBowski82

What are you looking at?
Yea, you'd be fine. for a short or long while. The only purpose of hi-steer is to keep the links out of the rocks.

Finding axles isn't hard at all