Steve's Sidekick Build

sixstringsteve

Thanks. I'm going to keep it suzuki drivetrain. It'll be nice to have fuel injection again. I'm building this more as a fun daily driver than an extreme crawler.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I like this idea, I've thought about something similar as well. It will be fun to watch the build progress, I'll be waiting for the outcome.

sixstringsteve

Question:

I'll be running 33's. What is the best size rim for future availability? I'm just not seeing many trucks being made with 15s anymore. I was thinking of getting 33x12.50xz15s. But now I'm worried that companies will stop making this tire in 15" rims in the future, like they did with 37s (and like the 16.5" size). Any thoughts? Are 33ss going to be more available in 16" rims in the future, or is it safe to assume that main manufacturers will continue making 33's in a 15" rim size?

sixstringsteve

Haha, it's a valid question. You never know with me. I know I'm kinda the running joke around here for that, but just for the record, it's a sickness, and I wish I could make my mind up and stick with something. With each build I get smarter, and learn more and more. I've never done links before, so I figure a kit will be a great way to get started into linking rigs.

Here's what I've learned with all my experiences. I have fun wheeling, regardless of the size of the rig. As long as I have sliders and low gears, and I feel safe, then I'm having a BLAST, regardless of the difficulty of the trail. I've learned that I'm not ready to commit to the tow rig/trail-only rig. I've learned that I can build bigger rigs, and wheel tough obstacles. And having tasted what it's like to have a rig on 37s with duals and flat belly and a great wheelbase. It was fun, but not tons more fun than my little rigs on 31s-33s. I'm one of those guys who has to learn from experience, and all of these rigs have given me experience.

I'm the same way with guitars. I've had hundreds of guitars and amps. And I can rest knowing that I've played $50 guitars, and owned $4500 guitars. And I know that my little $900 guitar is the best one for me. I'm one of those guys who goes to a restaurant and I have to read every available option before making a decision. I can't just say "I feel like a salad", I have to read the ENTIRE menu and make sure I make the best decision. Yeah, I'm crazy, but I like who I am. I just wish my indecision didn't impact my life so much, and that I could get past it.

So, with all that said, no I don't forsee changing this project one bit. I'm committed to this project, and I've learned to build a rig for a purpose, with a clear goal in mind. WHen I just kinda throw mods at it as I go, it never ends, and I'm never satisfied with it. By having a clear picture of what I want, I do better. I've had enough different rigs to know I don't want to build anything bigger than 33s/35s anytme soon. And with my limited budget, I can't afford anything else I want. Plus I really love these rigs.

The biggest hurdle is getting one of those Trail Tough Undertaker boxes. I hear there's quite a wait on those. Hopefully they produce another 5 soon. They only build 5 at a time.

But I guess nothing is impossible. If something unforseen happens, you never know, I may sell it all and take care of the emergency that could possibly arise. But let's keep our fingers crossed that that doesn't happen. I'm committed, and I want this to be my last rig for a while.

Last edited:

OREGON85

from OREGON
Its too bad I didn't know you were looking for a Tracker a year ago. I had a really nice white one I could have sold you, it even had a five speed like you prefer. ;)

I can see where you coming from though. I really wanted to stick Toyota axles under it, but it just wasn't the right time and the 1.6L doesn't quite do it for me.

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
You say you want a 5 speed, and the undertaker is hard to get.... I bought an auto sidekick for drivetrain parts on a samurai project and decided 2 things......

1-- the price of 4.24 gears and an under taker = too much money for the gearing so I would rather do a samurai trans a nd a divorced 6 to 1 atlas. More money but not much more and way stronger.....

2-- toy trans with duel cases would even be less money. Gearing combos are endless... And I could still my injected 1.6 sidekick motor.

Just a thought

O'neal

?????????
If your looking for the best of both world's for gearing(highway/trail)just do a kicker3...Build your own for cheap,add a geared samurai case and call it good.It will be plenty strong for your need's esp with 33's.

sixstringsteve

Is a toy trans much lower than a kick trans?

I'll look into a kicker 3.

I'd love to know more info on the kicker 3. So the stock sami has a 1.4 reduction in high gear, right? So the sami case behind the low box of the sidekick case should give me a high range reduction, and dual lows, right?

What's the price of a kicker 3?

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Picked up an '85 front axle today. And I didn't even have to pay extra for the little pieces of frame stuck to the leaves :D

IMG_0185.JPG

IMG_0186.JPG

After having that dana 60 in my garage for a week, these toy axles are starting to look TINY. But I know they're a tried and true combination, and they'll be MORE than stout enough for 33s. Time to start cutting off the extra crap and cleaning it up. I'll rebuild it too while I'm at it.

Last edited:

Chevycrew

So the stock sami has a 1.4 reduction in high gear, right? So the sami case behind the low box of the sidekick case should give me a high range reduction, and dual lows, right?

Yes, but running the sami case would get you an offset rear driveline.

But you would get a high range of 1.4:1 and low ranges of 1.81, 2.26, or 4.1.

The common automatic axle ratio of 4.62 would become about 6.47 with this combo.

Multiply the stock tire size of 27" by the new high range of 1.4, and that equals almost 38". You could use this setup to run 35's at a slightly higher rpm to gain the power back lost from heavier tires.

Or the toy axles at 4.10 would become 5.74 ratio, which is a 125% increase in gearing over the stock 4.62, and that in turn puts you geared correctly for 33" tires.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

hm... i do think the 35's look killer on these rigs, but my plan is to keep it on 33's. Thanks for the suggestions so far everyone.

sixstringsteve

cool. thanks. I wonder how long my driveline is going to be anyway. I don't really want an offset driveline, but that may just be the price I have to pay.