Steve's Sidekick Build

O'neal

?????????
Or the FJ-40 and 60's have the offset rear's.

Now on the kicker3,Scott at rock4xfabrication build's them for around $700 or if you can fab you can do your own for alot cheaper.DO NOT go through OTT unless you want to wait a year to recieve.

Search over on zuwharrie,there is ton's of info/writeup's on building it homebrew.I just built one for my wife's tracker using the samuraicase with 4.1 gear's.All I did was pull the t-case,take the back off,cut the chain,put the back on and cut the highrange section(Sawzall)off then plate the hole.Then I took a flange off of a sammy d-line and the slip yoke from the tracker and combined the two so the slip yoke goes to the tracker and bolt's right to the sammy flange on the t-case then built a mount to hold the samurai case....Did the same with my old 4dr.There is different method's but I chose this route because it's fast,easy and cheap and still just as strong:)

sixstringsteve

thanks thefirstzukiman. yeah, I'm sure I want to stick with 33s. WIth 5.29s I could run 35s, but I don't want to go that big on this rig.

I'm glad so many zuk guys have chimed in. Ive been out of the zuk game for a while, and its nice to be brought up to speed.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Or maybe I'll just run 5.71s 'till I can get an undertaker. Anyone here ever had a tracker on 33's with 5.71s? I wonder if the 5.71's would hold up to 33s with medium/light wheeling.

sixstringsteve

It looks like a stock 4-door weighs 2600 lbs. I figure I'll only add about 1000 lbs max, so it should still be relatively light weight for a 4-seater DD.

sixstringsteve

I'm having a hard time deciding what color to paint the bumpers/lower links/wheels. I like how Brent did his truck white. But I have always loved the black accents. Or maybe a nice flat grey, that might look good.

edit: it looks like they come pre-powdercoated black. Even better.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Thanks for the offer gravesdigger. In '96, toyota made the axles wider. I need an '86-95 rear axle. I have a lead on a v6 rear axle. I'll keep this thread updated if it falls through and I need another one.

Last edited:

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Thanks for the offer gravesdigger. In '96, toyota made the axles wider. I need an '86-95 rear axle. I have a lead on a v6 rear axle. I'll keep this thread updated if it falls through and I need another one.

You're right, but it's only 2" wider and I'm selling it for less than most people sell just the third's.... (I really want it gone fyi)

Keep going on the build!

I'd go with IFS hubs up front and get some taco or FJ takeoff 17" wheels that'd be shweet!

sixstringsteve

yeah, that woudl be amazing. I love those 17" steelies on those FJs. I would def need IFS hubs to clear the 5" backspacing. That's not a bad idea.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

do you think 17's with 33's would be too low-profile? I guess I could use taco take-offs cuz they're 16s. I wonder what the backspacing is on those.

Bart

I do. I'd definitely run a 15" with 33s, just for the sidewall. Big plus is they're sooooo much cheaper. I'm having a tough time going to a 17" with 35s, just because of the cost. BTW, 15" tires and wheels will be around for a long time.