Street-legal buggys - It Passed!

sixstringsteve

A companion bill was passed earlier that eliminates the population rule for ATV's, which will apply to us as well.

I interpret this to mean salt lake county is a "yes."

Doesn't the new law just allow buggies to be classified as street-legal ATVs, since that's what they'll be registered as?

kgb

Unless it is a Class One county, which Salt Lake is. As far as I can tell the pop. rule is still in for full size but not for ATV

1993yj

· Safety inspection required first year, andthereafter as outlined in the general inspection manual.

This seems like it will cause confusion at shops. I need to take my OHV registered rig in for a safety inspection? I assume that they will have a new section for OHVs to go off of that will allow for beadlocks, hydro steering, etc., and then I will keep that paper in my rig with my registration? And insurance is still a PITA to find for OHV registered rigs.

And this is not me complaining about all of the hard work done for this to pass. I think it is great, just thinking out loud as to how to comply to be able to benefit from this.

Edit: just realized that I need to change registration from OHV to street legal ATV. Got ahead of myself. However, I have had a hard time finding someone to insure my OHV registered rig. I assume that a Jeep registered as street legal ATV will likely have the same issues?

Last edited:

Chevycrew

I have never been asked for proof of registration from my insurance company on any vehicle. From the Camaro to the TrailBlazer, or Yamaha Raptor.

utahmike

Lobbyist \ Consultant
Unless it is a Class One county, which Salt Lake is. As far as I can tell the pop. rule is still in for full size but not for ATV

Existing statute will still show the population limit on all street legal ATVs. SB154 that has passed and awaits the governor's signature will change that section of code. Our bill HB148 will modify that section of code further to create a new full size street legal ATV with a few differences to the smaller (4-Wheeler) ATVs.

Once these 2 bills are signed into law and made effective you will be able to operate ANY street legal ATV (including the new full size type) in every county in Utah except for SL County.

Some of the inspection requirements for things such as bead lock wheels, mud flaps, etc are not spelled out in statute and are handled administratively by UHP. We have worked closely with them on this bill and we have verbal and written commitments from them to exempt certain things in the latest inspection manual. They are redoing that manual currently. They have been very good to work with and we expect they will honor their word. I will hold their feet to the fire on this one. If we need to make changes to the law or spell out exemptions in statute we can and will do that next year but I doubt we will have to do that.

The street legal ATV bill was the second real bill I worked on in the state legislature back in 2007. It took me 2 sessions to get it passed and I learned a lot. Big credit must go to USA-ALL, Mark Habbeshaw and Mike Noel for making that original bill happen. Like wise big credit has to go to Moab Friends 4 Wheelin' for this one. Specifically Jeff Stevens and John Picken. I couldn't have done it without their input. It was an honor to represent MF4W and their partners. I appreciated their complete trust and confidence in me.

Everyone needs to thank our bill sponsors Rep. Mike Noel ( mnoel@kanab.net ) and Sen. Dave Hinkins ( dhinkins@le.utah.gov ). Passing both houses without a single dissenting vote is AMAZING. I lobbied the bill pretty hard. No doubt taking legislators on many jeep and ATV trips certainly helped but our sponsors were perfect. We could not have done it without having the right persons running our legislation. Drop them an email and thank them.

-Mike-

Last edited:

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Thanks for posting up, Mike, that clears up a lot. You raised new questions, though - beadlocks will be allowed on all vehicles, or just "full size street legal ATVs"?

phatfoto

Giver of bad advice
Thanks Mike, I believe that clears up a lot. So my understanding now is, the street legal ATVs that are allowed in Grantsville, will now be allowed in Tooele? Or will individual communities be allowed to continue existing restrictions?

1993yj

I have never been asked for proof of registration from my insurance company on any vehicle. From the Camaro to the TrailBlazer, or Yamaha Raptor.

Neither have I, but when I talk to an agent and say I want to get this jeep insured, and it's registered as OHV, they say oh we can't insure that. I would not file a claim if I rolled it, but if someone got injured and a claim needed to be filed, or it got stolen or something, and the insurance agency had it insured as any other jeep, i am fairly confident they would find a way to deny my claim once they realized what it was, or that someone was injured off road. I don't want to turn this into another buggy insurance thread, nor do I want to start a new one. I am hoping though that with this new law these types of rigs will become more mainstream, and therefore easier to insure.

broncomitch

dont be a sheep in a jeep
So with this bill passing, will it be better for me to license the bronco OHV or keep the org registration?

on one hand even with classic plates it's not very street legal and worried I'll get harassed by the cops..

And on the other I can register it the full size ATV and be set and not get harassed by the cops but probably fight with getting insurance on it..

Last edited:

phatfoto

Giver of bad advice
So with this bill passing, will it be better for me to license the bronco OHV or keep the org registration?

on one hand even with classic plates it's not very street legal and worried I'll get harassed by the cops..

And on the other I can register it the full size ATV and be set and not get harassed by the cops but probably fight with getting insurance on it..

And be limited to 45 MPH everywhere you could drive it.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
You know the awesome thread we have about registering a buggy/jeep etc as an OHV? We should start a new one for street legal ATV. I'm very curious what the process will be like and if OHV registration is supplemented by street legal ATV registration or if it's one or the other. I'm going to call the DMV right now and confuse the crap out of them ;)

broncomitch

dont be a sheep in a jeep
That's about what I used to do anyway when it was SL, so I'm fine with that..lol

I have another question, can a gps or mph app work for a speedometer gauge?
Cus some vehicles have that or/ digital speed readouts and some have mechanical speedo's.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Prepare to be shocked- the DMV knows nothing about this bill or anything that has to do with street legal atvs. I was explaining to him how safety inspection is different for passenger vehicles and street legal atv's. This is going to be an adventure...