Street-legal buggys - It Passed!

sixstringsteve

Last year the DMV told me i needed an ATV safety inspection to get my dirt bike street legal. They were totally wrong and it took me about 20 minutes to explain to them that they were wrong. Another worker overheard and came over to tell them I was right. I was ready to break something before she came over.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
^that's funny. I guess I'll have to wait until the law goes into place anyways before I can do anything. My friend that does safety can do atv inspections so at least I won't have to explain to him what I want. Let the waiting begin

1993yj

Prepare to be shocked- the DMV knows nothing about this bill or anything that has to do with street legal atvs. I was explaining to him how safety inspection is different for passenger vehicles and street legal atv's. This is going to be an adventure...

This has unfortunately been my experience at the DMV with many things, both old and new laws. I think when it's things that don't get done on a daily basis it is easy to get someone who has never done it before, which can be frustrating. They need to get a computer system that could easily walk any employee through anything that might happen there. Not sure I want to foot that expense though.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Prepare to be shocked- the DMV knows nothing about this bill or anything that has to do with street legal atvs. I was explaining to him how safety inspection is different for passenger vehicles and street legal atv's. This is going to be an adventure...

I'm shocked... or not. ;)

These changes have not even been signed into law nor has the UHP finished their revisions to the manual and thus the DMV has absolutely nothing to know at this point. When it does, I'd simply print out the official statute and take it in, ask to speak to a supervisor if they counter can't help. Vintage tags were a pain in the beginning, now each time it is really straightforward.

N-Smooth

I'm shocked... or not. ;)

These changes have not even been signed into law nor has the UHP finished their revisions to the manual and thus the DMV has absolutely nothing to know at this point.

They should still know about street legal atv's but they don't. Oh well

N-Smooth

Oh somebody there does, just not the counter folks. :D

Yeah, and it's really not their fault either. When I was there in January registering my jeep as an OHV they asked the supervisors how to do it and got basically three different answers from three different supervisors. I was planning on taking in the statute like you said and just working it out with them.

crazyyo

to all that have had a hand in this bill getting this far thank you so much !!!!!
looks as if we are playing a waiting game but one I am willing to play as all of us hate fender flares and mud flaps
one question that is still in the grey for me is working park brake ? any insight thanks

1adam12

THE BEAST
Thanks guys this is great! Moab is goi g to loose a lot of diesel fuel sales. But please lets not take advantage of this if guys start driving buggies to work I can see it going away fast. Be smart be responsible and lets make sure this sticks. And hopfully they will be a little soft on marker lights.

utahmike

Lobbyist \ Consultant
Thanks for posting up, Mike, that clears up a lot. You raised new questions, though - beadlocks will be allowed on all vehicles, or just "full size street legal ATVs"?
For now only full size street legal ATVs. But who knows what we could do in the future. Once LEOs see that beadlock wheels are no big deal we might be able to allow them for use on all vehicles. In fact I know a decent lobbyist who might be able to get that done for you! ;)

utahmike

Lobbyist \ Consultant
Thanks Mike, I believe that clears up a lot. So my understanding now is, the street legal ATVs that are allowed in Grantsville, will now be allowed in Tooele? Or will individual communities be allowed to continue existing restrictions?

I need to double check the bill language in SB154. I didn't write that one. I can tell you for sure that it means on all roads state wide that are either under the jurisdiction the state or counties (except for any road in SL County, federal interstates like I-15, and certain controlled access highways) all street legal ATVs will be permitted. The population restriction of 7500 was removed and I also believe the municipal opt-in language was struck. I am thinking that municipalities could no longer deny the use of street legal ATVs on municipal roads. BUT I could be wrong. I will double check. I am pretty sure that is the case. That would mean you could drive your rig in Tooele.

phatfoto

Giver of bad advice
I need to double check the bill language in SB154. I didn't write that one. I can tell you for sure that it means on all roads state wide that are either under the jurisdiction the state or counties (except for any road in SL County, federal interstates like I-15, and certain controlled access highways) all street legal ATVs will be permitted. The population restriction of 7500 was removed and I also believe the municipal opt-in language was struck. I am thinking that municipalities could no longer deny the use of street legal ATVs on municipal roads. BUT I could be wrong. I will double check. I am pretty sure that is the case. That would mean you could drive your rig in Tooele.

Thanks again. Legalese is as foreign to me as Klingon. I was a huge fan of the previous bill as well. At present, I don't own any vehicle that could be covered by either bill/law, but that will change if the governor signs it. I do appreciate the work to get this done by all involved.

skeptic

Thanks guys this is great! Moab is goi g to loose a lot of diesel fuel sales. But please lets not take advantage of this if guys start driving buggies to work I can see it going away fast. Be smart be responsible and lets make sure this sticks. And hopfully they will be a little soft on marker lights.

Why do you think driving buggies to work would be bad? Where my in-laws live down in AZ they allow street legal UTVs. Not sure about ATVs (I'd assume so) or buggies, but side by sides are everywhere. Not only is it not a big problem, it seems like the more people driving them the more accepted it becomes. Granted, I don't live there and my opinion comes from hearing the in-laws talk about possibly getting one as well as me being a fan of side-by-sides. It's also a small town across a river from a small NV town, and nothing but desert and rocks surrounding it - not like the urban sprawl we have here.

I'd love to pick up a UTV, use it for my around town nice weather vehicle, then take it to the desert or mountains on weekends.

Chevycrew

For city run around use...

I can see the side of the more they are out and about, the more common and accepted. But on the other hand I can see it being viewed as abuse of the law and not as intended.

R

rockdog

Why do you think driving buggies to work would be bad? Where my in-laws live down in AZ they allow street legal UTVs. Not sure about ATVs (I'd assume so) or buggies, but side by sides are everywhere. Not only is it not a big problem, it seems like the more people driving them the more accepted it becomes. Granted, I don't live there and my opinion comes from hearing the in-laws talk about possibly getting one as well as me being a fan of side-by-sides. It's also a small town across a river from a small NV town, and nothing but desert and rocks surrounding it - not like the urban sprawl we have here.

I'd love to pick up a UTV, use it for my around town nice weather vehicle, then take it to the desert or mountains on weekends.

Scenic Az. I'm thinking? Parents used to go there every winter with friends that started developing the place. All of 10 people out there at that time. They loved it, now it's a small city out there!

1adam12

THE BEAST
In small towns it is fine. But as soon as a buggy takes out a mini van in provo it is going to raise a red flag. If we start hot rodding around and chirping tires around every corner prior will complain. Drive them to and from the trails, maybe a test drive here and there. Don't make them daily drivers.

N-Smooth

I think it's more the attitude while driving them than it is the frequency. If everyone acts like a redneck jerk whilst driving their buggies it will cause problems. I'm hoping everyone realizes how awesome this is and sees it as a privilege more than a right and acts appropriately.