The Budget Beater buggy

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
After the TJ Build I swore off building up another rock crawler... I felt burned out after investing so much time and money into that vehicle, then having to sell it a short time after finishing it due to getting laid off. :( It was amazing on the trail, but hard to let go.

You may have noticed me looking for parts in the classifieds recently... :greg: It's been a few years and I've been feeling the itch to pile some parts together again. The plan here is to keep it cheap (is that even possible with a crawler??), so in that line of thinking, this will be Toyota based, with some upgrades.

I've contemplated building my own chassis from the ground up, but I'm simply not that motivated. I found a used & abused, hacked up F-Toy chassis that was in Denver.

If you're not familiar with the F-Toy, here's a basic breakdown. The chassis is built by Hendrix Motorsports and is a tube chassis that is welded onto a Toyota 4x4 frame. There are very specific class rules if you plan in competing with a F-Toy, such as keeping leaf springs, carburetor, mini-truck axles, etc. After doing some research, I found that this is F-Toy chassis #78 and the first owner did a build thread on Pirate - http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=756663

I don't plan on competing and as far as this chassis has been modified, I'm not sure it's worth trying to restore it as a class-approved F-Toy. My plans are for a light weight recreational buggy, based on the F-Toy chassis.

Here's a breakdown of what I want to do-

Engine- 22R burning propane, with a T3 turbo pushing around 10 #'s of boost

Transmission- Jeep AW4 with a 22RE Automatic bellhousing, flexplate & torque converter... bolts right up!

T-Cases- NP231 with Box4Rocks doubler/adapter, with a Dana 300.

Suspension- 4 link rear, 3 link front with panhard. FOA coilovers on all 4 corners. Also planning on 2" FOA air bumps on each corner.

Axles- Toyota Land Cruiser FJ80 front axle, stock 4.10 gears, Aussie Locker. Toyota Tacoma rear axle, stock 4.10 gears and either a spool or Aussie Locker.

Wheels & Tires- Toyota FJ Cruiser steel wheels, tires TBD... something around 37-40"?

The previous owner has cut off a lot of the original F-Toy tube work, the front end was involved in a pretty brutal endo and the spring hangers and bent up tube work were removed.... and the chassis sat in that shape for awhile, until I picked it up.

Here's how it looked when the previous owner had it. It was 4 linked in the rear, with air shocks. -

1255323430_b2wkW66-L.jpg

1255324131_2pBxBH8-L.jpg

Hauling it over the mountains, back from Denver. -

1255327248_zLZB23J-L.jpg

Greg

Admin
I got the chassis in the garage and after deciding what to cut out (the floor, firewall and some tube work on the back needed to go), I figured I'd place a set of 37" rollers about where I'd want them to sit and see how things sized up.

1254067791_p7rTcnk-L.jpg

1254067540_VShpRdf-L.jpg

1254067864_tvm5ZqX-L.jpg

1254067646_3cxjp9V-L.jpg

1254067938_9KvhGGz-L.jpg

Out came the sawzall, plasma cutter and the torch... :eek: I'm still working on cutting off the stuff that needs to come out, so no pics of anything 'finished' yet.

That's about where it is right now... it's probably going to be a slow build, but hopefully I can get on the trail before this upcoming Winter. We'll see...

Greg

Admin
Nice Greg! Looks like a fun build. Tell me more about this turbo setup?

What do you want to know? Propane has the equivalent of 110 octane, so boost + propane is a great choice.

The intake will be a draw thru setup; air filter & propane mixer > turbo > intake manifold.

No intercooler, as you'd essentially have a flammable mixture in there... one backfire and your intercooler would be blown to bits.

I'm trying to find a used T3 or T4 turbo, something cheap. Seems like with a 22R you can run up to 10 pounds of boost, more if you upgrade the headgasket and head studs.

I will probably build my own header for the turbo... that will be interesting!

Awww yea. Can't wait to see more. :cool:

Right now it's all cutting apart, not sure when I'll have something worth adding. :( Lots of parts gathering in the mean time, as well.

Too Far

parts is parts
looks like its going to be pretty cool Greg.
I just started a similar project this weekend. I cut the cage from my class 3 car and plan to build it up as a low buck 4400 style car.
Good luck on your build, and keep us posted.

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
Nice Greg! Should be a fun build, and looks like there's room in the back for Daisy. Any pics of the end and carnage?

sixstringsteve

very cool! i was wondering what you were going to do with all those parts you've been searching for. I can't wait to see how it turns out. That's a sweet starting platform.

Greg

Admin
looks like its going to be pretty cool Greg.
I just started a similar project this weekend. I cut the cage from my class 3 car and plan to build it up as a low buck 4400 style car.
Good luck on your build, and keep us posted.

Ooohh, a low-buck 4400 car?! I'd love to see more!

It would be fun to build this with a little go-fast playing in mind, some quality bump stops would help!

Nice Greg! Should be a fun build, and looks like there's room in the back for Daisy. Any pics of the end and carnage?

Exactly, just enough room for Catherine, Daisy and I... and the essentials for trail rides. Should be great for that.

I don't have any pics of the carnage, I would have liked to see what it looked like after the 'endo' it took.

Looks like a great starting point.:) Can't wait to see what you do with it.

Me neither! I have a plan, but going from a plan to real life can be difficult!

Cool project, I was wondering what was brewing watching the parts wanted section... :greg:

Yep, I've been wanting to play with a turbo and propane for a long time... hopefully my drivetrain selection will be well balanced. I think the axles will hold up, I would love to find some lightly used 40" tires that are DOT legal and radial, for less weight. It may just make more sense to stick with smaller tires, but that's not any fun. :D

very cool! i was wondering what you were going to do with all those parts you've been searching for. I can't wait to see how it turns out. That's a sweet starting platform.

Thanks Steve, lots of ideas rolling around in my head... just acting on one of them. It is a good platform, I think.... but there's a lot of work to be done before it's going to start coming together.

lewis

Fight Till You Die
Yes! I have been wanting another buggy as well and was just waiting for you to build one and then put it up for sale. I will start saving now!

Greg

Admin
Very cool Greg, I look forward to seeing the build. :greg:

Thanks! You've got a good head start... lets see who can get on the trail first. :p

Yes! I have been wanting another buggy as well and was just waiting for you to build one and then put it up for sale. I will start saving now!

Let me know what you're going to pay, so I can build under budget and make some good money. Matter of fact, I'll start taking payments now... that would really help me progress the build, please send me $1500 each month, for the next 9 months. :cody:

lewis

Fight Till You Die
Make money? Pretty sure thats not how it works. Excited its toyota as well. Subscribed to the thread and look forward to the progress.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
If you're going to consider semi-go-fast stuff, consider something more betterrer than airshox. I've seen some decent deals on coilovers come up from time to time....

I really wish I could see any pictures you post. :( Wherever you host them is blocked from work.

zukijames

Heck yeah call hybrid spectating he'll hook you up with some air shocks :).

Ps when you do the turbo build 2set ups I'm currently having a 22r build and wouldn't mind boosting it! Have you seen the got propane buggy with a turbo 22r.. He can light his tires up!

Taco4life

Finally the build up thread emerges... I have been wanting to ask what wheel base and frame height you are shooting for. And did you decide that the stock steering with that FJ80 axle will work?

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
The Hummer wheel/tire combo would be a good budget choice at $189 per corner. I know they aren't 40's but they are beadlock ready wheels.