The Budget Beater buggy

Corban_White

If that's the case then yeah, its a no brainer. Like I said I have no knowledge about propane other than it cooks my steaks very nicely. :D :greg: With a gasoline push-thru the carb doesn't have to be enclosed.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Some progress on the drivetrain....

I picked up a '87 22R from a local guy for a few hundred and it came with a bunch of extra parts.

I have picked up a R150f mainshaft & gears from RockSolid on here for $20! I've located & secured a AX-15 and NP231 from a guy I work with and just now made a deal for a 22RET bellhousing from Dave'z Off Road on Pirate. Next up, I need to purchase the Box4Rocks doubler and find a Dana 300.

Hopefully soon I can begin swapping the R150f mainshaft into the AX-15, then bolt up the 22RET bellhousing, so I can bolt the Jeep transmission to the Toyota engine.

I've also located a Toyota Tacoma 8.4 rear axle with 4.10's in Moab, hopefully I can pick that up Friday or Saturday.

I think I'm off to a good start!

Greg

Admin
http://www.trailworthyfab.com/Custom-Hummer-Wheels-w-Tire-Combos/
Looks like it went up to $210 per wheel/tire combo. Still a great deal if you ask me. Contact him and offer him a vendor deal. :greg:

Not bad! I'm not too keen on those old Goodyears, they have very thin sidewalls. 21 Road would eat them alive. Thanks for the link!

I have a better rear axle for you.
Montero rear. 6 lug. disc brakes, air locked third member style. 31 spline shafts, 9.5+" ring gear. 4.63 gears.

Here's my tech thread for this axle.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=931139

Eh, not for me. I don't need an air locker for a buggy and the gear ratio won't match the front axle. The ring gear and shaft size aren't enough of an upgrade over the planned Tacoma axle, so I'll stick with it.

So why not toy duels?

Honestly... because I want front digs, without having to spend an extra $500 beyond the t-cases and adapter. Also, I think the 231/300 will be stronger than the Toyota cases stock to stock and if not, the upgrades are better. Also a NP231 and a Dana 300 combined will have a much lower crawl ratio in the end and that's important, as I'll be sticking with 4.10 gears.

Chevycrew

I had an easy time getting ahold of duffy when I ordered my box 4 rocks, answered first call. I was worried with all the stories out there of him being unreachable.

RockChucker

are you set on going with a dana 300? i have a dana 20 out of a bronco that's just waiting to go to a good home. i know you can twin stick those too...

Greg

Admin
I have heard the same thing. It would make sense, being that they are designed for HMMV which weigh as much or more than a 1-ton pickup.

Good point, guess I've never looked into it.

I had an easy time getting ahold of duffy when I ordered my box 4 rocks, answered first call. I was worried with all the stories out there of him being unreachable.

Awesome, good to know! Have you started setting up your doubler yet? I'd love to see one come together. What are you running as the t-case?

are you set on going with a dana 300? i have a dana 20 out of a bronco that's just waiting to go to a good home. i know you can twin stick those too...

Yep, I'm set on a Dana 300. Thanks though!

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I love your transfer case choice.

I heard an interview today with Gale Banks about some testing with HMMV and they were tested at 14k lbs without crew.

Greg

Admin
I love your transfer case choice.

I heard an interview today with Gale Banks about some testing with HMMV and they were tested at 14k lbs without crew.

I think it's a good choice, over the Toyota option.

More interesting info about the military GY's. :cool:

Greg

Admin
so greg got a date of maybe the mayden voyage, im sure its a little early to ask but it looks to be coming together nicely.

No date at all... I would love to have it up and running before next Winter, but you know how that goes. ;)

I'm trying my best to keep it simple so it doesn't take a long time or cost too much, since my budget dictates that I build it as the money comes in.